• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Think you were cold skiing the last few cold snaps?Yikes this is cold!

pcampbell

I guess I'd take awesome snow in -10 over not great in +10F. Powder will get you moving and keep you warm! Been out there in there in the negatives this year. It is amazing how you adapt to this. It was 20F Sunday morning and we thought it might rain ha!

To me it's all about the equipment. My method is mercury mitts with glove liners. Also a balaclava, then hooded sweatshirt with a rather thin hood up under my helmet plus shell hood over the helmet. Goggles seem to stop fogging up once I get moving. Also not to hold onto the metal of my poles on the lift...! No iphone pics when it is so cold... even taking hands out for a second can be hard to warm back up.

silver rider

at those temps it doesn't matter, the only way to make it work is no wind and sun for me

johnnyari

I guess I'd take awesome snow in -10 over not great in +10F. Powder will get you moving and keep you warm! Been out there in there in the negatives this year. It is amazing how you adapt to this. It was 20F Sunday morning and we thought it might rain ha!

To me it's all about the equipment. My method is mercury mitts with glove liners. Also a balaclava, then hooded sweatshirt with a rather thin hood up under my helmet plus shell hood over the helmet. Goggles seem to stop fogging up once I get moving. Also not to hold onto the metal of my poles on the lift...! No iphone pics when it is so cold... even taking hands out for a second can be hard to warm back up.

What are mercury mitts? Clearly I have been missing out on something on cold days.

Savemeasammy

10 above. The only reason I can think of for WANTING to ski -10 is for crowd control. 10 above will keep a lot of people away. The biggest consideration is wind. Much more of a factor than cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottySkis

1010803_641135655949210_1262296862_n.jpg
The cold air has to come from somewhere, we can thank Alaska for letting us borrow winter this year. This pattern is also responsible for the ever worsening drought in the West. Snowing in the Southeast and records highs in Alaska actually makes a ton of sense.

pcampbell

Same thing for me--only reason I could think -10 F is better is to keep the people without good mittens home :)

Savemeasammy

1010803_641135655949210_1262296862_n.jpg
The cold air has to come from somewhere, we can thank Alaska for letting us borrow winter this year. This pattern is also responsible for the ever worsening drought in the West. Snowing in the Southeast and records highs in Alaska actually makes a ton of sense.

Scotty. Be honest. Did YOU write this?! I understood it on the first read :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk