• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Week of February 2nd, storm speculation

4aprice

Beautiful morning down here as this storm is over-performing here in NNJ and hopefully in Pocono's as well where CBK is supposed to get 5". I saw where BG said he lost a lot of snow yesterday but we didn't here and the Pocono's didn't either. Bases (at least at Blue & CBK) are deep and surfaces are for the most part good. Already a good year to be a Pocono skier.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Beautiful morning down here as this storm is over-performing here in NNJ and hopefully in Pocono's as well where CBK is supposed to get 5". I saw where BG said he lost a lot of snow yesterday but we didn't here and the Pocono's didn't either. Bases (at least at Blue & CBK) are deep and surfaces are for the most part good. Already a good year to be a Pocono skier.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Looking at Bear Creek or Blue later today...Southern Lehigh county 7'' so far, looks like a few hrs left.
Takes me an hour and a half to dig out, can't leave with all the snow in the driveway or the neigbors drive on it and pack it down.
Bob

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

FOR WEDNESDAY STORM

12z GFS
is out, brings brunt of Wednesday storm over New Jersey, then though CT, RI, and all of Mass.

P1_GZ_D5_PN_054_0000.gif

12z NAM also brings brunt of Wednesday storm over New Jersey, but also over Catskills due to track, then through CT, RI, and all of MA, but also gets into Southern VT and Southern NH as it's a touch more north than GFS.

P1_GZ_D5_PN_048_0000.gif

12z Canuck also brings brunt of Wednesday storm over New Jersey, but also over Catskills and ALL of southern New York and ALL of southern New England, AND gets big good snowfall rates into 1/2 of VT and NH. Much larger pcp system is why.

P6_GZ_D5_PN_078_0000.gif

EDIT: Added Canadian info....last model to finalize. Added model peak depictions.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

FOR WEDNESDAY STORM

12z GFS
is out, brings brunt of Wednesday storm over New Jersey, then though CT, RI, and all of Mass.

12z NAM also brings brunt of Wednesday storm over New Jersey, but also over Catskills due to track, then through CT, RI, and all of MA, but also gets into Southern VT and Southern NH as it's a touch more north than GFS.

12z Canuck.....not finalized yet

I hear Ppatty migth open this Wednesday for powder day. Hopefully you can go I be working. That ok because Thursday I be at Stowe, then Friday at Sadddleback then weekend of the loaf.:)

jrmagic

Marine ecology. We have a long-term monitoring program in Mass Bay and go out year round. February is always the toughest.

Well I ain't getting rich doing science.

Woods Hole Sea Grant I assume? I work with some of the NY SeaGrant folks in my capacity as a Councilor on NYs Marine Resources Advisory Council which advises NY DEC on issues concerning the NYS Marine District.

Wavewheeler

Today on the Jersey Shore we have 5-8 inchs of very pretty-to-look-at, heavy, wet nuisance snow that isn't giving the mountains up north more than a few inches, if that. So I get to look at this some more before I go shovel it and hope that the roads are plowed for tomorrow's workday. I hate southern storms.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 66

Rowsdower

I doubt Rutgers closes tomorrow so I'll have to teach. Looks like we're getting hit several times this week though. Weekend is looking good. Might make Friday a personal day.

Wavewheeler

Just booked a room and reserved two lift tickets for Hunter Thursday and Friday :thumbup:

:snow: :daffy:

... Winter Storm Watch in effect from late Tuesday night through
Wednesday afternoon...

The National Weather Service in Albany has issued a Winter Storm
Watch... which is in effect from late Tuesday night through
Wednesday afternoon.

* Locations... all of east central New York... southern Vermont...
western Massachusetts and northwest Connecticut.

* Hazard types... heavy snow.

* Snow accumulations... 6 to 12 inches of snow possible.

* Maximum snowfall rates... one inch per hour.

* Timing... late Tuesday night and Wednesday.

Wavewheeler

I doubt Rutgers closes tomorrow so I'll have to teach. Looks like we're getting hit several times this week though. Weekend is looking good. Might make Friday a personal day.

Yep, they are closed today. I think my daughter should take a personal day Friday and head to Hunter. ;)

Wavewheeler

Oh, and MOST importantly.....

The weather models were about ONE HUNDRED MILES WRONG on this one. Which is a good thing. Heaviest snow will be from where I am in NJ and north to at least NY border, but solid snow will reach all the way up into the Cats now.

With today's storm, AND Wednesday's storm, the Cats could be RIDICULOUS good this weekend (That of course is assuming the models arent crazy-wrong with the midweek even as well).

:thumbup: It did indeed trend north. They got snow up into the Cats and (hopefully) are getting slammed Tuesday night-Wed. I'm taking a chance that this is the case. They got a winter storm watch up and I got the last room at the local B&B for a sweet price and two Hunter Mt lift tickets @ $41 each!

Just hope the lift lines aren't too long..this is going to be too awesome for many to pass up, even midweek..Weekend should be awesome, esp with more in the forecast for Saturday and Sunday! :snow:

323 PM EST MON FEB 3 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT
THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...

* LOCATIONS...ALL OF EAST CENTRAL NEW YORK...SOUTHERN VERMONT...
WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS AND NORTHWEST CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW POSSIBLE...WITH 10
TO 14 INCHES IN HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE EASTERN CATSKILLS...
BERKSHIRES AND SOUTHERN GREEN MOUNTAINS.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATES...ONE INCH PER HOUR.

* TIMING...LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS POSSIBLE LATE TUESDAY
NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY...ESPECIALLY THE WEDNESDAY MORNING
COMMUTE...POSSIBLY INTO THE WEDNESDAY EVENING COMMUTE.

* VISIBILITIES...MAY DECREASE TO A HALF MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

Wavewheeler

Her justification is that several of the professors will be as well :wink:

Stopped here in Piscataway. Maybe 6-8 inches on the ground.

:lol: Unfortunately she has to work too. She has Weds free so we've planned a day trip to Hunter first wed in March. That's the next time I'm off on a Wednesday so here is hoping this pattern continues thru February into March.

She's a responsible kid, unlike me. ;) Actually,I just lucked out as I'm always off Thursdays and Friday.

Last time I lucked out like this was Leap Day, Feb 29,2012, when it snowed all day that Wed and Thursday and I had off and quickly planned a trip to Gore. Tons of pow for that Thursday and Friday. Then it warmed up and rained that Saturday but I was already headed home.

Gotta go while the going is good! :snow: