• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Week of February 2nd, storm speculation

BenedictGomez

With all 3 of the major models showing a rather large snowstorm in the 4th/5th timeframe, it's looking pretty solid that someone's going to get pounded with this thing.

If it was only one or two models six days out, I wouldnt feel as good, but with all three showing a big one it's going to be game-on somewhere in the northeast. Warm air could be a problem for the Poconos and/or the Catskills though, but above that it looks like rain/sleet shouldnt be an issue. This will be fun to watch.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Do I have your attention yet?

hazards_d3_7_contours.png

Wavewheeler

I was thinking of doing a Catskills overnighter in mid February but if New England gets pounded in the next few weeks I
be willing to drive. :snow:

Put the snow in the mountains, not the beach!

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
Maine certainly needs it. I'm sure Sugarloaf isn't much better than where I live but we had 7 inches of snow all of January with no more than 2 at a shot. At least one of those was so windy I doubt it stuck around too long. Hopefully the last half of the season makes up for it.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Yes why does that heavy snow band stop just around southern NH ??

Because it stops at Day 7. The weather is tracking to the northeast. The area to the east of "that line" will not experience the leading edge of the weather until Day 8. The charts over the next two days will tell. Forecasts out 7 days are a crapshoot anyways.

moguler6

Matt Noyes just posted a pic of the Euro 240 hr snowfall accumulation and it has all New England in the 24" range. Yes please!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Sunday's storm is really looking like it is going to cut west. Meaning mixed precip for a lot of us :( . After all this deep freeze we get a shit storm. Figures. It shouldn't get cold enough to melt anything, but it should pack in some of the fluff out there and prepare us for whatever is coming Wednesday. Although that Wednesday storm will probably miss the NEK :roll: (still only 3.5" at my stake).

moguler6

He's really sticking his neck out. Could be a career-limiting-move if he's wrong. Guess I'd better make lodging reservations now!

He's not stating that we're getting that. Just says the atmosphere is moisture loading right now and we could get some decent storms because of it.

catsup948

He's really sticking his neck out. Could be a career-limiting-move if he's wrong. Guess I'd better make lodging reservations now!

Yeah. The euro has not been very good this year. I think caution should taken on a snow forecast in that range.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk