• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Recipe for Trail?

SkiDog

Bringing Gatorade is actually quite helpful for keeping the energy up. I've just started using it on hikes and have noticed a huge difference. Also, the new "Fierce" flavoring is much better than the previous stuff. I've heard for best rehydration to dilute the contents with water (approx 50/50 blend).

I always bring pre portioned gatorade powder with me on every hike and usually 1 nalgene full already mixed. The preportioned packets are small and dont weigh much. I portion them for exactly the size of the nalgene...(little less actually)..GREAT for boost of energy.I truly also notice the difference between water, gatorade, and nothing. Gatorade performs the best.

M

czimborbryan

Dried fruit is also one of my favorites. Figs, cherries, and cranberries are fantastic (not mixed). Along the same lines, I also enjoy cashews.

Goblin84

Bringing Gatorade is actually quite helpful for keeping the energy up. I've just started using it on hikes and have noticed a huge difference. Also, the new "Fierce" flavoring is much better than the previous stuff. I've heard for best rehydration to dilute the contents with water (approx 50/50 blend).

I always dilute gatorade normally 4:1. I have also diluted some other drinks like OJ, taste a bit funny but it gets the job done. Regular gatorade is simply to strong for me when I am doing an athletic activity. If i am sitting on my butt and wants something to drink then i'll have full strenth gatoraid.

however this talk of food makes me hungry....time to get lunch

czimborbryan

What about beef jerky. I love the stuff, but it's hit or miss to find the good stuff. I don't eat it enough to have a favorite, so sometimes I get some stuff thats pretty bad.

SkiDog

What about beef jerky. I love the stuff, but it's hit or miss to find the good stuff. I don't eat it enough to have a favorite, so sometimes I get some stuff thats pretty bad.

Buy a dehydrator and make your own..its REALLY easy...I love doing it.

Get a foodsaver and seal up some packages it lasts for some time.

M

czimborbryan

For as much backpacking that iIve done, I never made my own jerky. How do you spice it? How long do you dehydrate it? Can you dehydrate smoked salmon for the trail? How about tuna to add to pasta?

SkiDog

For as much backpacking that iIve done, I never made my own jerky. How do you spice it? How long do you dehydrate it? Can you dehydrate smoked salmon for the trail? How about tuna to add to pasta?

I usually use my favorite marinade. Whatever that may be at the time.. I usually use a "stubbs" product, but thats personal preference. Usually you have to dehydrrate it for about 8-10hrs at about 250F.....you can use an oven for this, but I prefer a dehydrator.

As for Salmon or Tuna I suppose you could try, but with all the new foil pouches they make of this stuff these days why bother?...just throw a couple of those in the pack and you're set...maybe a box of cous cous and you're truly golden...

M