• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"Gore-bits Couloir"

AdironRider

Dude don't lie. That picture was taken 5 days ago

And its been hit by everyone in the valley since apparently because that's what it was today when I looked in.

5 days ago was a foot+ pow day. Things change. Just saying, that pic is as good as it gets. Its usually worse.

C-Rex

Screw out west. I think cliff hucks in the east are way more impressive simply for the fact that we don't get the snow they do. Plus, we usually have runouts loaded with trees, not nice open bowls. Not saying there isn't gnarly stuff out west, of course there is, but the East has plenty of serious lines to offer.

MadMadWorld

Screw out west. I think cliff hucks in the east are way more impressive simply for the fact that we don't get the snow they do. Plus, we usually have runouts loaded with trees, not nice open bowls. Not saying there isn't gnarly stuff out west, of course there is, but the East has plenty of serious lines to offer.

I have skied tough lines here and out west and there is a big difference. In the east there isn't that fear that if I fall I could die (with a few exceptions). When I skied at Kicking Horse and Revelstoke I felt that fear of death on multiple occassions. Open bowls just means that if I fall I have a lot time to gather up speed before I hit that rock or tree at the bottom of the bowl!

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I have skied tough lines here and out west and there is a big difference. In the east there isn't that fear that if I fall I could die (with a few exceptions). When I skied at Kicking Horse and Revelstoke I felt that fear of death on multiple occassions. Open bowls just means that if I fall I have a lot time to gather up speed before I hit that rock or tree at the bottom of the bowl!

Powder vs Hardpack.....I've skied East and West Steeps.
If you fall you'll stop rather quickly in the West...East is another story...it's off to the races.

MadMadWorld

Powder vs Hardpack.....I've skied East and West Steeps.
If you fall you'll stop rather quickly in the West...East is another story...it's off to the races.

We're talking tough lines.....the toughest lines are in the trees in the east. You're not going to slide far at all. There are only a handful of lines in the east that provide the same risked that I mentioned. You would be surprised by how far you can fall in powder if you are on a really steep slope.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
We're talking tough lines.....the toughest lines are in the trees in the east. You're not going to slide far at all. There are only a handful of lines in the east that provide the same risked that I mentioned. You would be surprised by how far you can fall in powder if you are on a really steep slope.

Was thinking off resort, right ski blew high up in bowl in Tucks. longest and fastest fall i've ever had. I never skied with a helmet before that trip and won't ever ski without one now.

bdfreetuna

Church at Sugarbush I think is definitely more gnarly than this.. If this isn't so the pic isn't doing Gore-Bits justice.

Yet a lot more people apparently ski the Church. Even with it being sort of out-of-bounds.

Savemeasammy

You can find serious challenges both east and west. I will say this: the east is a good place to develop your skills. The west is a good place to put them to the test!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C-Rex

Very true. I'm remembering some times at Breck when I was on a very steep bowl with exposed rocks below. The snow was wind blown styrofoam so a fall meant an unstoppabel slide. Definitely one of the very few times I've almost backed out. I guess I spoke a bit to brazenly, but my point is that people out west don't give the east credit. The tough lines here are tough for entirely different reasons. Let some of those powder hounds that are used to hucking cliffs into 5 feet of fresh come out here and do it on bumped up hard pack with boilerplate mixed in, and see how they feel.

MadMadWorld

Around 42 seconds in, pretty gnarly slide at Tuckerman, NH.

Tuckerman is one of the exceptions I mentioned. I would also include the Katahdin couloirs, some High Peaks slides, and some BC stuff in the Chic-Chocs. But for each one of those are thousands out west that are bigger and badder. The stuff in the east will definitely put hair on your chest though.

MadMadWorld

Very true. I'm remembering some times at Breck when I was on a very steep bowl with exposed rocks below. The snow was wind blown styrofoam so a fall meant an unstoppabel slide. Definitely one of the very few times I've almost backed out. I guess I spoke a bit to brazenly, but my point is that people out west don't give the east credit. The tough lines here are tough for entirely different reasons. Let some of those powder hounds that are used to hucking cliffs into 5 feet of fresh come out here and do it on bumped up hard pack with boilerplate mixed in, and see how they feel.

Agreed.

Newpylong

camberstick

Not sure what all the talk is all about. I have rode that During good snow and felt it less challenging than many places. Agreed
The Church is pretty sick stuff for the east coast.