• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing in British Columbia

jpg

Does anyone usually ski in BC (Whistler)? I am planning a trip for mid to late April and am wondering how long the season usually runs.

Huck_It_Baby

I've been to Whistler it's amazing. do yourself a favor and go. Better if you can go before april though.

Skiing runs into April on Whistler and longer on Blackcomb but it's obviously weather dependant. In June/July they open the glacier for summer skiing.

skiNEwhere

I want to go to BC so bad. After talking to other members though I've heard Revelstoke and kicking horse are BC resorts worth checking out as well. It's your trip obviously but I'd look into those as well if you get a better deal.

jimk

From Whistler website: The ski season in Whistler typically begins around the third weekend in November coinciding with American Thanksgiving. From there, both mountains are open daily for winter operations until late April. Blackcomb Mountain stays open for spring skiing and snowboarding until mid-May. Summer glacier skiing and riding on Blackcomb Mountain starts the third week of June.
I guess you might want to email them before you commit to your travel dates to find out if they have a predetermined closing day for the Whistler side of the operation.

POW

Made my first trip to WB last year, stayed in a condo which had ski on/out access on the Blackcomb Mtn (which is rather limited if you could imagine). The mountains are phenomonal, we had a mix of 3 snow days which was just non stop powder and then another 4 days or so of bluebird days. So we were able to get some amazing pictures and views with the bluebird days and then just some amazing skiing through out the week. The variety of trails out there is just amazing...trees...groomers....bowls....steeps...never seen anything like it. Must ski trails are the dave murray downhill..and peak to creek. And the peak to peak gondola ride is unlike anything in the world.

Beyond the skiing- the village has a ton to offer. So many good spots for apres and just as many choices for fine dining if your into that as well. I didn't think the cost was THAT outrageous, you could certanly find some good deals if you did a little digging. Another thing that's cool to experience (depending on your flight into vancouver) is to experience the granville island market before heading up to WB. Lot of local produce/food and a cool view of vancouver.

Had such a blast last year out there that we're flying out this Friday for our return. I've been checking their weather like a mad man over the last 3 months, if I can remember right they had a few big storms at the end of dec early jan but have had really nothing for a few weeks now other than blue skies. Checking the weather for this week out there looks like they're in line for 2ft+ and the long term outlook looks like its going to continue into next week. Might have to pack my snorkel ;)