• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/12 storm speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowRock

Is this looking more like Wednesday night into Thursday or Wednesday night light, Thursday all day best day Friday? Trying to figure out work and wife details. Seems like its more Thursday now than originally thought?

BenedictGomez

And another one misses N VT :-x

Not getting the brunt on it, but I wouldnt give up all hope. Wouldnt shock me at all if the mountains could pick up 6". Look at yesterday, Smuggs was supposed to get 1" or 2" and is reporting 6" to 8" today. Are Jay's glades decent right now or are they rocky and iffy?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Not getting the brunt on it, but I wouldnt give up all hope. Wouldnt shock me at all if the mountains could pick up 6". Look at yesterday, Smuggs was supposed to get 1" or 2" and is reporting 6" to 8" today. Are Jay's glades decent right now or are they rocky and iffy?
That 6-8 was mostly isolated to the high ridge of the Greens. MOTNEK (Middle of the NEK) got a 1/2". The High Greens are getting better with each disturbance that moves through. I'll take another 6" but I'm totally starved for a 12"+ storm in these parts. I want a reason to break out my touring gear some early morning.

fbrissette

Variable but lots of rock. Problem is the underlying ice. The snow won't hold. You get a rocky icy patch with a huge mogul of snow at the bottom.

EDIT: they are all open and i've skied all of them including the face. All skiable, the higher up the better. Not fully recommended if you are in love with your skis.

jrmagic

12z ECMWF just finished and it EXPLODED

Seriously considering canceling my Northern Vermont plans and heading back to the Catskills if this doesnt jog farther north. Still time.....snow expansion is becoming significant.

1149085_645838215463440_404781869_o.jpg

Id love to see this get a nice northward bump to put more of NE ski country into some significant accumulations.

ChicoKat

What is it looking like in the Whites in NH? Water Ville Valley in particular. Live 6 miles down the road. The usual 'snowmageddon' sites like snowforecast.com have not picked up on this at all.

BenedictGomez

I realize nobody is paying attention or hearing anything about this given the LOUD NOISES the first storm is creating, but NE would probably get at least 4 or 5 inches Saturday afternoon/evening if this second disturbance comes through as modeled.

Also, there's a TON of energy entering from the Pacific in this pane, but it's way to early to do anything but note that it's there.

P6_GZ_D5_PN_132_0000.gif

skiberg

When does the Warm up start. I have seen some long range forecasts suggesting the same thing. Next week? Early or Late?

j law

Can we please have a storm that isn't along the I-95 Corridor? I'm really sick of XC skiing in Central Park!

flightschool

Strange... strange. I've never seen such a sharp cut off, on both sides.

There is a small system coming from the great lakes screwing things up... :angry: I'm going to Sugarbush Sat/sunday and if this thing doesn't turn NW i'm going to need a moment to myself.

drjeff

18z NAM snow map is out.

1534809_10152244518563352_1656548066_o.png

Well if this map plays out then I'll be in the unhappy situation where the show banks at my house in CT are deeper than at my place at Mount Snow :-(

Right now my place in VT has about a 6-8" advantage over my house in CT - but the less than 6" on this map for So VT and the 12"+ for NE CT would make it "February Bizzaro snowbank world" for me! ;)

If this model is the case, the "fresh snow in my back yard" factor for the millions who live along the I-95 corridor could make this a record setting Presidents Day Weekend for many resorts!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.