• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How was skiing Wed Feb 5th?

LiquidFeet

I am a continuous lurker here. You folks do a great job of following the weather.

I drove to Ragged Mountain NH yesterday for a nice ski in the falling snow. Lovely drive, should have been two hours but turned into three with snow falling and a car that decided not to start when taking a break at an Irving station. The garage next door fixed it quick. Luck was with me.

I haven't skied this mountain in a long time. I went there because it was somewhat close to home and I had forgotten anything about it. The day was lovely with continuously falling snow, chopped up powder, no crowds, no lines, no bumps. I ran into a friend unexpectedly who showed me around and shared stories. I got there too late for fresh tracks, but the chop was soft and beautiful. It was a good, mellow day.

The drive home ended up being four hours. Massachusetts certainly has a different philosophy about how to handle snow on highways. Got back in time for a late supper. My guess is 7 hours of driving, 5 hours at the mountain, 4+ hours of skiing. Good day, all of it just for pleasure.

Anyone else got stories?

Smellytele

I ended up getting out around 4:45 at Pats Peak. The conditions were not as great as I thought they would be. It was still snowing when I got there. The chop was tiring on the flats because it became rumble bumps. FIS, Vortex and Hurricane had a good layer of ice under what looked like great snow. Twister, Tornado, Cyclone, Duster and East wind skied well. I had the new Black Diamond Amperages out for the powder. I got the hang of them on the good trails. They like straight lining busting through the crud and floating. They do not like icy scrapped off bumps.

PS: The drive took 10 minutes:thumbup:

Savemeasammy

I ended up getting out around 4:45 at Pats Peak. The conditions were not as great as I thought they would be. It was still snowing when I got there. The chop was tiring on the flats because it became rumble bumps. FIS, Vortex and Hurricane had a good layer of ice under what looked like great snow. Twister, Tornado, Cyclone, Duster and East wind skied well. I had the new Black Diamond Amperages out for the powder. I got the hang of them on the good trails. They like straight lining busting through the crud and floating. They do not like icy scrapped off bumps.

PS: The drive took 10 minutes:thumbup:

Copy and paste? Nicely done! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edd

Cannon skied well yesterday. I was especially pleased when it started snowing harder in the afternoon.

I'm at Loon today and conditions are very good, but f***, is it crowded for a Thursday. Yeah, I know, duh.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Thanks for your report.

My MS TR has been posted over in TR section, kinda where this thread should be (no offense intended). It will just get lost.

Ragged was on my short list.
Your commute was unbelievable. I knew the morning would be bad for everyone, but on the way home, it took me 2.75 hours from MS to Lex. That's 125 miles, with 50 miles on snow-covered roads, 25 on local snow-covered roads, none of which had traffic, save for the occasional pass-able snowplow. Snow tires inspire confidence. Not so much all those RWD BMW's I passed crawling along!

Please keep posting!

Edit: most of my commute was on Mass. highways - I-91 and Rte 2. I had zero problems and drove at speed-limit. Let's not write off the whole state!

moguler6

Killington was really good yesterday. Late afternoon was even better. Seems everyone left around 2:00 right around when it really started dumping. Big Dipper woods was the run of the day.

Whoever did the glades cleanup this summer destroyed some of them! They cut out way to much and left it all just laying there. Some of the glades are down right dangerous now. There is loads of crap sticking straight up and snow snakes are everywhere. Other areas where they cut saplings they didn't cut low enough so you don't see all the 6 inch high stumps they left behind until they've ripped your legs off. Just a mess. This isn't all the glades, but a bunch of them. Probably the reason why some aren't open yet like Low Rider.

timm

"on the way home, it took me 2.75 hours from MS to Lex. That's 125 miles"

Took me 2 1/2 hours to get to work and that's 32 miles. Also didn't involve getting to ski. Moral being I gotta get a job where I can take powder days off, haha.

MadMadWorld

Killington was really good yesterday. Late afternoon was even better. Seems everyone left around 2:00 right around when it really started dumping. Big Dipper woods was the run of the day.

Whoever did the glades cleanup this summer destroyed some of them! They cut out way to much and left it all just laying there. Some of the glades are down right dangerous now. There is loads of crap sticking straight up and snow snakes are everywhere. Other areas where they cut saplings they didn't cut low enough so you don't see all the 6 inch high stumps they left behind until they've ripped your legs off. Just a mess. This isn't all the glades, but a bunch of them. Probably the reason why some aren't open yet like Low Rider.

Wow that's awful. I'm sure Steamboat1 will somehow find a way to spin this into a positive.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

That's a shame about the trees. On your other point, everyone probably burned themselves out. I didn't sleep late today, but I do feel it in my back.

Dickc

Skied Sunday River yesterday. Spent much of it with a Maine Adaptive client on South Ridge, but got off to Spruce and North peak late in the day. You could still find some close to virgin spots to make turns in. There was close to a foot of fresh at quitting time. Bet it was a good day today!

LiquidFeet

Cannon skied well yesterday. I was especially pleased when it started snowing harder in the afternoon.

I'm at Loon today and conditions are very good, but f***, is it crowded for a Thursday. Yeah, I know, duh.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I see that the Mittersill chair is opening tomorrow, Friday. Cannon says they got 12" Wednesday.

wakenbacon

3rd or 4th gondola at loon, went until last chair. All those medicore (below zero, icy, rainy) days paid off with some b
uilt up endurance. Funnest day of the year for me, so far.