• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ELK Sunday 2/9

〽❄❅

- arrived at 12:20pm, began to snow as i was suiting up in the parked car. Snow stopped at 1:30ish but resumed again by 3pm, i went to the car for a few things at 3:45, it had a inch of snow covering it. Snow got heavier at 4ish and thats when the skiing got good. Most went home at 4:30 which kept the snow from being skied off. I ducked the ropes on my last run to ski back to the parking lot at 7:30pm. The poached run was a blast, my boot was covered in snow up to the cuff buckles. Found a good 4" of snow coating the car then and it started to fall at a heavier rate as i cleaned the car for the ride home. Don't know how much longer it continued to snow on the mountain, was only a light snow shower on the access road which had stopped by the time i got to I 81. Conditions wise, my best day at Elk so far this season. When i got back home in Philly i had to shovel 3" of snow from the driveway etc.
Fingers crossed for this coming Thursday!

Wavewheeler

〽❄❅;823111 said:
-Fingers crossed for this coming Thursday!

It's stating to look good for Thursday. I'd like to try Elk but Camelback is half the distance so I might just run up there for the day. Glad you had fun.:)It's been a great couple of days for a lot of people on the slopes. About time. :thumbup:.Lets hope it lasts!

Rowsdower

It's stating to look good for Thursday. I'd like to try Elk but Camelback is half the distance so I might just run up there for the day. Glad you had fun.:)It's been a great couple of days for a lot of people on the slopes. About time. :thumbup:.Lets hope it lasts!

Elk is a nice little mountain. A little more vertical and terrain than Camelback, and way fewer crowds. It's a quieter scene. Only problem is its about the same drive as to the Catskills, which offer more of pretty much everything. Still, if you need a break and are wanting to try a new mountain, its worth a visit.

4aprice

Elk is a nice little mountain. A little more vertical and terrain than Camelback, and way fewer crowds. It's a quieter scene. Only problem is its about the same drive as to the Catskills, which offer more of pretty much everything. Still, if you need a break and are wanting to try a new mountain, its worth a visit.

Trying to figure out exactly where you live. For me Camelback is 45 min, Elk an hour further on. To me Elk is the best of northeast PA and while day trippable from here, a little too far to be a home mountain. Don't mind the old lifts and the snow is usually the best (great bumps too). Pretty much a step up from the main Pocono's and a step below the Catskills, kind of as it should be. My pet complaint about it, The Elk Mobile (can't stand that thing). Sons racing has allowed me to spend 3 days a season there and we always enjoy our long weekend there. (Feb 21,22,23 this year). Same thing with Blue Mountain. Between the 3, I've done (and will do) some pretty entertaining skiing in the Pocono's this season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

PS I see you said "about the same drive as the Catskills" originally I read it as the "same drive as Camelback" leading me to ask where you live.

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Trying to figure out exactly where you live. For me Camelback is 45 min, Elk an hour further on. To me Elk is the best of northeast PA and while day trippable from here, a little too far to be a home mountain. Don't mind the old lifts and the snow is usually the best (great bumps too). Pretty much a step up from the main Pocono's and a step below the Catskills, kind of as it should be. My pet complaint about it, The Elk Mobile (can't stand that thing). Sons racing has allowed me to spend 3 days a season there and we always enjoy our long weekend there. (Feb 21,22,23 this year). Same thing with Blue Mountain. Between the 3, I've done (and will do) some pretty entertaining skiing in the Pocono's this season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

PS I see you said "about the same drive as the Catskills" originally I read it as the "same drive as Camelback" leading me to ask where you live.

I work at Rutgers University and live near Piscataway. The thing about the Catskills from here is they're a straight shot up 287 and the NY thruway. Hunter is about 2.5 hours, and Plattekill maybe 3. Now, if you're going to Elk from here, you have to take I-80 to 380 to 81. It's maybe a little closer as the crow flies, but the drive works out to 2.5-3 hours anyway. For the same amount of time I always opt for the Catskills, since its more mountain than Elk. It's still a fun mountain, and I've enjoyed the times I've been there, it's just hard to justify when the same trip can put me at Hunter. As for Camelback, its half the distance as Elk right up I-80. Takes me about 1.5 hours provided there's no traffic. It's the second closest mountain for me and an easy day trip. Mountain Creek is closer, probably close enough to be considered a real "local" hill for me, but I haven't even bothered to go there this year.

Wavewheeler

I'm in the same situation. I'm slightly under 2 hours to CB. To Elk would be another 1:15 (that's according to their directions, as I've never been there). I can drive to the Cats in the same time, 3 hours, so that's where I opt to go if I'm up for a 3 hour drive. If I want to make a quicker trip, then it's either Mountain Creek or the Poconos and MC isn't an option.

I am very familiar with both the Poconos and Cats because I also hike, kayak and camp up there so I am pretty much focused on those two areas.