• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah Update

thetrailboss

Staff member
For those that may be coming for President's Week, you are in for some good news. The pattern has FINALLY changed and we've gotten the snow the last two weeks. Here's the report, from the Utah Avalanche Center, regarding the latest storm totals:

The last gasp of snow and rain is occurring this morning from, by far, the largest storm of the season. Here are the snow / water equivalent totals so far:
Powder Mountain 37" / 4.44"
Snowbasin 30" / 3.86"
Brighton 47" / 5"
Alta 30" / 2.87"
Park City 17" / 2"
Sundance 46" / 6.94"

More on the way :snow:

snoseek

Weird how Brighton got so much more than Alta considering they're only a ridgeline apart. And Sundance, I bet they're not used to being the winner. Yay, go get some!

thetrailboss

Staff member
FWIW Sundance closed yesterday due to avalanche issues. I would not be surprised if they are still closed.

2 fatal avalanches this weekend.

snoseek

We've been shut down here for most of the weekend, just waiting on the word if its gonna open. The suspense is killing me!

thetrailboss

Staff member
TTB hows the park city side doing? heading out end of feb.

Brighton got the goods. Deer Valley reported more snow than PC. They got a solid foot or so. I have a TR still pending for my last visit to DV last Wednesday and it was MARKEDLY better than my last visit (which was on January 25th). More snow on the way. Things are looking really good. Feel free to PM for more info or if you want to meet for a few turns. I remember meeting you and your SO at the 'loaf at the first AZ summit (I think).

darent

Brighton got the goods. Deer Valley reported more snow than PC. They got a solid foot or so. I have a TR still pending for my last visit to DV last Wednesday and it was MARKEDLY better than my last visit (which was on January 25th). More snow on the way. Things are looking really good. Feel free to PM for more info or if you want to meet for a few turns. I remember meeting you and your SO at the 'loaf at the first AZ summit (I think).[/ we did meet at the 1st Summit and I skied Bracket with you and a group which I think included Nick and steph. Thanks for the report- drew

thetrailboss

Staff member
Still snowing....another 7" in LCC last night. More on the way. Great way to help make up for earlier this season. Looks like we may get to a 100" base soon at Snowbird/Alta.

JFP

Still snowing....another 7" in LCC last night. More on the way. Great way to help make up for earlier this season. Looks like we may get to a 100" base soon at Snowbird/Alta.

Thanks & keep us updated.. a few of us easterner families coming out and arriving on the 20th and there for a week.. can't wait! Most of us are first timers. Hopefully things will hold up ok.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, it's been snowing and snowing. Saturday was a bit warm and it settled; Sunday we got thundersnow and it cooled temporarily. We have one more mild day in the valleys (40's in PC, upper 30's in the LCC/BCC) before it changes back to cold and snow I hear. BIG improvement in snow depth and conditions. Good times this weekend.

JFP

Well, it's been snowing and snowing. Saturday was a bit warm and it settled; Sunday we got thundersnow and it cooled temporarily. We have one more mild day in the valleys (40's in PC, upper 30's in the LCC/BCC) before it changes back to cold and snow I hear. BIG improvement in snow depth and conditions. Good times this weekend.

Given we're going to be there for a week spanning Fri-Weds as available ski time, what do you think about the weekend & in particular, crowds? If some of us go-getters decide to ski again on Saturday (rather than skip as maybe sensible in that I rarely would go full-bore for 6 days in a row) what might be the best mountain in the general SLC vicinity (or beyond) to hit up on a presumably busy weekend? thx.

ScottySkis

Given we're going to be there for a week spanning Fri-Weds as available ski time, what do you think about the weekend & in particular, crowds? If some of us go-getters decide to ski again on Saturday (rather than skip as maybe sensible in that I rarely would go full-bore for 6 days in a row) what might be the best mountain in the general SLC vicinity (or beyond) to hit up on a presumably busy weekend? thx.

SnowBasin an hour from SLC.