• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sublime Snowbird: Feb. 1, 2014

thetrailboss

Staff member
Resort: Snowbird, Utah

Date: February 1, 2014

Weather/Conditions: Heavy snow; powder

Trip Report No: 15

I know it is MUCH better now, but here is a belated report.

It was the pow day that we’ve been waiting for now for some time. The year has been very dry and snow has been thin. Last week’s outing at normally posh Deer Valley, where the snow is normally like velvet, it was hard and rough. But the pattern has changed and it is now snow as far as the eye can see.

I’m lucky enough to have a good job and a good boss. But to have one who loves to ski as much as I do and at the ‘Bird is even better. We met for first Tram and did a warm-up on Shireen down to Little Cloud because Mineral Basin was not running yet due to power issues. When we got back up it was just opening so we charged down White Diamonds and then Powder Paradise before a spin down Chamonix. All were nice…Chamonix had some ice at the very top, but the drifted snow was a treat.

We headed down to Baldy Express and did several low angle runs in nice drifted powder that made both of us hoot and holler. We did five or six spins here before getting word that our third partner in crime was on the Tram with his family.

The rest of our time was in Peruvian hitting the chalky goodness in Surf Turn Gully, Primrose Path, Silver Fox and then down to the deep pow in Hully Gully, Hubba Bubba, Lower Primrose Path, and Anderson’s Hill. We found some untracked off of Blackjack. The last two hours it was dumping…about 4-6 inches of new snow while we were there. Visibility was iffy, but it is better to ski in fresh snow as opposed to bluebird concrete like we had.

No time for any real pictures….just these two at the end of the day.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Savemeasammy

Having a boss who skis is a good thing. Having a boss who wants to meet for the first tram? That's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk