• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

VTKilarney

Very good point. How are the roads getting up there anyways? I get the impression that the roads north of Lancaster aren't the greatest.
The roads are not nearly as bad as you would think - at least as far as Route 3 is concerned.

Jully

They'd probably just say "Killington, largest skiable resort within driving range of NYC"

They probably didn't change their scheme cause bracket is a backcountry area with no real lift service

deadheadskier

Staff member
Actually plenty of people think K is the best. The more that do the better as far as I'm concerned

Domeskier

I like to bash Killington as much as the next guy, but I've never quite understood the rationale for suggesting that it has anything in common with a discount clothing retailer.

VTKilarney

The legislative committee did just what I thought... Referred the bill to study. Looks like it's dead this year unless Otten pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

drjeff

The legislative committee did just what I thought... Referred the bill to study. Looks like it's dead this year unless Otten pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

And the modern version of "pulls a rabbit out his hat" is more like "hosts a bunch of decent $$ fundraisers for members of the legislative committee and/or speaker of the house... :smash:

gmcunni

maybe the Hermitage guy can give him some lessons on just doing what you want and paying for it later.

x10003q

The amount of real estate that will be sold will provide a pretty unique revenue stream. Otten seems to be pushing a lot of the resort as very upscale and that'll be a different sort of tax stream than any other NH resort offers right now except maybe Loon. The Balsams is not going to be a day tripper kind of place.

Who is going to buy the mentioned 2500 units? The closest and biggest market is Canada. The Canadian market now has a devalued dollar @ .80US dollar, which will put a damper on Canadian sales. Will the Boston metro choose a "very upscale resort" that is difficult to get to compared to existing choices? It is a 5 hour ride from Hartford, CT, so they can forget about the NY metro. Who else might be the target market?

Location, location, location.

River19

Who is going to buy the mentioned 2500 units? The closest and biggest market is Canada. The Canadian market now has a devalued dollar @ .80US dollar, which will put a damper on Canadian sales. Will the Boston metro choose a "very upscale resort" that is difficult to get to compared to existing choices? It is a 5 hour ride from Hartford, CT, so they can forget about the NY metro. Who else might be the target market?

Location, location, location.

Agree. 2500 is a lot of units, heck 1000 is a lot of units to sell. We have our place in the NEK, and we drive 225 miles in about 3.5 hours about 3 out of 5 weeks per year.......to Dixville Notch is "only" 30-35miles longer but it would tack on an easy 60-90mins and God help you if you get weather....Rt 3 becomes 25mph not 60mph.

So IMHO the Canadians must come to reach anything close to those numbers. Also, 2500 units.....given that there are plenty of ski condos available throughout northern New England, are there really 2500 buyers without one right now? to reach even 50% of that goal a goodly number of units would hit the market on other mountains and I just don't see that happening with the Ski 93 crowd.

Leaving the Boston area at 6pm and getting to your place at 9:30-10:15pm is tolerable, especially with families. Stretch that to 11pm+ every weekend and that is pushing it.

Let's be clear here, the typical Ski family is ripping up 93 in their Yukon XL rocking their Thule, two kids watching some awful repetitive cartoon on the built in backseat entertainment system while the trophy wife (looking stunning in her $3000 worth of gear) is playing with her iPad and the dude is driving 85mph with a screaming headache just trying to get to his scotch at the end of the line. The farther away that scotch is from home......the less frequent they make that run......

But what do I know.....

VTKilarney

Isn't it fractional ownership for sale? That might help some.

The Canadian dollar is a big problem, though.

doublediamond

For a 100-day share: $100,000 for one bedroom and $240,000 for two bedroom suites in Dix or Hampshire Houses. 10% down on agreement to purchase; refundable $1,200 deposit in escrow to reserve your share. You can trade to family and you get paid if you don't use it as well as a cut on the remaining 65 days. Sounds steep.

Smellytele

For a 100-day share: $100,000 for one bedroom and $240,000 for two bedroom suites in Dix or Hampshire Houses. 10% down on agreement to purchase; refundable $1,200 deposit in escrow to reserve your share. You can trade to family and you get paid if you don't use it as well as a cut on the remaining 65 days. Sounds steep.

bedroom is the cheapest room in a house and they are charging 140,000 for 1???

River19

Ha......I can build an entire log cabin for less than that including land.......man is the ski 93 crowd that gullible?

Plus when I think of ski condos, honestly, I think the Conway area is about the lowest risk.....yes it is crowded, but with Cranmore, Wildcat, Attitash/Bear, Bretton etc. all within an easy ride plus plenty of eating and boozing opportunities, investing in a condo there can make sense. If the Balsams have "meh" conditions.......you are in for a ride for an alternative, right?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wouldn't call N. Conway crowded (at least the slopes) in comparison to the resorts in the 93 corridor.