• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

gmcunni

wow, that is remote...

Map.jpg

River19

I wouldn't call N. Conway crowded (at least the slopes) in comparison to the resorts in the 93 corridor.

Everywhere, but the slopes then......all the people I try and get away from are there....lol Looks like MetroWest north.... :)

thebigo

And the modern version of "pulls a rabbit out his hat" is more like "hosts a bunch of decent $$ fundraisers for members of the legislative committee and/or speaker of the house... :smash:

This is NH, not NY or CT, the speaker is one of 400 reps, elected by their 3000 or fewer constituents, getting paid $100 per year for their services.

Smellytele

If he was thinking the state was just going to say yes on his findings and not study it themselves I think he is heading for a whole lot of trouble and should take his whiskey home.

River19

If the whole thing is predicated on the state funding, then I think it is a very sketchy plan. If it was a compelling and realistic story, private money would find them.

EPB

If the whole thing is predicated on the state funding, then I think it is a very sketchy plan. If it was a compelling and realistic story, private money would find them.

The message to me is pretty clear. Equity investors won't do the deal without some leverage and private lenders won't make the plunge without a viable business or marketable assets to sell if the plan goes belly up. Right now lenders have neither.

Last edited:

machski

Ha......I can build an entire log cabin for less than that including land.......man is the ski 93 crowd that gullible?

Plus when I think of ski condos, honestly, I think the Conway area is about the lowest risk.....yes it is crowded, but with Cranmore, Wildcat, Attitash/Bear, Bretton etc. all within an easy ride plus plenty of eating and boozing opportunities, investing in a condo there can make sense. If the Balsams have "meh" conditions.......you are in for a ride for an alternative, right?

Sunday River is likely the closest to the Balsams and about an hours drive.

I think most people from New England are looking at this upside-down. Most likely the target is Montreal, google map shows trip time of 2:35. Not sure how long it takes to cross the border but got this off the web for the population of greater Montreal….

Greater Montreal is the maist populous metropolitan aurie in Quebec. As o 2009, Statistics Canada identifees Montreal's Census Metropolitan Aurie (CMA). The CMA is 4,258.31 square kilometres (1,644.14 sq mi) lairge an haes a population of 3,824,221 as o 2011.

VTKilarney

The question is whether or not the Montreal market is enough. Looking at Jay Peak, I would say that it's a vital segment, but that you need more. The exchange rate doesn't help, either.

steamboat1

Plenty of Canadiens skiing in central VT. this past week, it was vacation week in Canada. Lot's of French being spoken on the lifts. The few I spoke with said they drove south to avoid the crowds. One couple did mention that is was more expensive because of the current exchange rate. Believe they said it's $1.27 now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So are they funding this with EB-5 money? LBO's friends? Private capital?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone