• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

EPB

Hopefully this thing can get lift off early next spring

machski

If they stick with phase 1 as is, there could be up to six lifts being installed next summer/fall, and that excludes any upgrades to the existing lifts. I can't see all that happening to open for next season. Maybe if they start cutting early spring while snow still on the ground. Otherwise, I would think 2017-18 a more realistic phase 1 opening. Maybe they will open for preview on the existing area next year?

Smellytele

I noticed that article mentioned nothing about even the existing ski area in the phase one development.

"
The ski area is part of the $145 million Phase 1 of the project which also calls for renovating the Dix, Hampshire, and Hale houses and the Panorama golf course and clubhouse; construction of a 500-room hotel, conference center, Nordic hot baths and spa, a performing arts center, and an open-air marketplace. "

SIKSKIER

"
The ski area is part of the $145 million Phase 1 of the project which also calls for renovating the Dix, Hampshire, and Hale houses and the Panorama golf course and clubhouse; construction of a 500-room hotel, conference center, Nordic hot baths and spa, a performing arts center, and an open-air marketplace. "

I thought it was but there was no mention at all in that article so it made me wonder if things had changed.

VTKilarney

In hindsight, it may have been a stroke of luck that they weren't able to open the ski area for this year. Christmas week is looking mighty ugly.

steamboat1

You know, Les may not be the most popular guy around, and ASC did go bankrupt or darn near it, but we do have him to thank for a lot of ski terrain. I hope he makes a go with this.

Sugarbush, Sunday River & Killington would not be what they are today without him (lifts). Not to mention the Grand hotels he built at Mt. Snow & Attitash.

mbedle

You know what is interesting, there appears to be a couple private lots located within the proposed ski area boundary. Once this thing is done, those owners will have some pretty sweet slope side properties. Another thing that was interesting is the majority of the proposed ski area is on land owned by Bayroot LLC, a paper company. I thought the Balsams owned all that land.

mbedle

Last edited: