• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

AdironRider

Comparing an actual Nation Park (one of the countries most unique) with the Balsams is a stretch…

The moto crowd doesn’t spend a lot of time in the parks champ, for obvious reasons.

As others have stated, if you can differentiate yourself from others the market is far from saturated. We have all seen the crowding at ski resorts recently. I wouldn’t sell the snowmobile and atv angle short as a draw for the Balsams with consistent snow conditions and fewer regulatory hurdles to jump through.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Comparing an actual Nation Park (one of the countries most unique) with the Balsams is a stretch…
There is a lot of BLM/NFS land in Moab that is open to ATV's and Jeeps and I can personally attest that these trails are WELL used.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Ever been up any of those in winter? Not very hospitable on many days and doubt many lifts could run all that often in the alpine on those. That is why.
No, not into mountain climbing in the summer or winter. Thanks for the info. I suspected that was the answer along w the WMNF rules. I guess I was just dreaming that 1 of them might be tame enough to build something.

2Planker

Would this be an MBTA thing? Amtrak, or some totally different entity?
Would this be an MBTA thing? Amtrak, or some totally different entity?
The MBTA is a disaster. stay away Stay very far away
Now and for the last 30 years that they've over paid, over pensioned and UNDER maintained the whole F'ing system.
Feds almost shut it down 2 weeks ago....

Newpylong

Would it come to North Station just run between Nashua and Manchester?

There is a number of scenarios but to sum it up it would be operated by the MBTA and have stops in Manchester (eventually), Marrimack, Nashua, Tyngsborough, and then likely express to North Station.

The tracks between Lowell and Concord are in place but Class I (10 MPH). They would need to be replaced along with the signal system from the ground up for any passenger use.

Beyond Concord they are out of service to Penacook then removed beyond to West Lebanon since the early 90s.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There is a number of scenarios but to sum it up it would be operated by the MBTA and have stops in Manchester (eventually), Marrimack, Nashua, Tyngsborough, and then likely express to North Station.

The tracks between Lowell and Concord are in place but Class I (10 MPH). They would need to be replaced along with the signal system from the ground up for any passenger use.

Beyond Concord they are out of service to Penacook then removed beyond to West Lebanon since the early 90s.
IIRC that’s been a proposal for a very long time.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The reason I have heard more discussion lately of commuter service to Boston from NH and also an express from Springfield is housing costs and traffic. No such thing as affordable housing in Boston metro any more and no space to expand roads to handle more car traffic. So, trains to places that do have affordable housing is the solution being pushed.

machski

Even if we suspend disbelief and say 100 jets are going to show up in Berlin, NH, ( the airport is 45 minutes from The Balsams) every Friday for the weekend and say there are 2 unit owners/jet, that is only 200 units. That is never going to move the needle for Les.

Les needs many weekend warriors in SUVs to buy those 2500 units.
I agree the jet set won't make the Balsams work alone or likely be a big part. My point is more to refute the no one is going to go there if built idea. The old Balsams had a draw from more than just drive distance and a known name. And back then, the draw was more summer and fall than winter (as has been said, the ski area back then was basically a sideshow). Big IF, but if they can rekindle the summer/fall draw and create a compelling and somewhat unique ski resort experience, it could work. But nothing is guaranteed.

Smellytele

The reason I have heard more discussion lately of commuter service to Boston from NH and also an express from Springfield is housing costs and traffic. No such thing as affordable housing in Boston metro any more and no space to expand roads to handle more car traffic. So, trains to places that do have affordable housing is the solution being pushed.
Should be "affordable" or not as expensive not actually affordable. If they put the train in then it will be even less affordable as it is now.

snoseek

Summer was definitely much much busier there than winter. It was also a 5 month season while winter was basically 3 months.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Should be "affordable" or not as expensive not actually affordable. If they put the train in then it will be even less affordable as it is now.

Correct. It will make those places priced like where I live in Newmarket. We don't have a rail stop in town, but the downeaster stops nearby and the commuter rail in Newburyport is 25 minutes away. Newest development in town has 1900 square foot homes on a quarter acre for $800k+. Same new construction not even ten years ago went for $400-450k tops. Bananas.

1dog

Correct. It will make those places priced like where I live in Newmarket. We don't have a rail stop in town, but the downeaster stops nearby and the commuter rail in Newburyport is 25 minutes away. Newest development in town has 1900 square foot homes on a quarter acre for $800k+. Same new construction not even ten years ago went for $400-450k tops. Bananas.
Wow. $420+ a square foot. On 11,000 s/f of land? Guess 25 miles west of Boston at $275 s/f ' is a deal'? NM is a beautiful town and location - SE NH has it all, access to metro/Boston/sea coast/lakes/hills of NE. My daughter is at UNH, now I understand how $10K a year in rent ( uts. included) is a deal.
And the dollar continues to lose its value. . . .bananas that we are all eating. . .

Edd

I work in Portsmouth. A 30 year old coworker who lives with his in-laws in Newburyport tried to find a house in the area for 1.5 years and finally retreated to Salisbury to buy something in their price range. There’s just no supply here. It’s backwards when you have to move to Mass for cheaper housing.

1dog

I work in Portsmouth. A 30 year old coworker who lives with his in-laws in Newburyport tried to find a house in the area for 1.5 years and finally retreated to Salisbury to buy something in their price range. There’s just no supply here. It’s backwards when you have to move to Mass for cheaper housing.
and takes a 5% pay cut. . . .

AdironRider

I'm sure he could have found a place in Seabrook, but then he'd have to marry his cousin.