• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

Hawk

How about we stop pretending that this was some crowded summer mecca for regular people. It was a fancy, gated, mountain hotel of the era were rich people from the cities spent the summer in the mountains before air conditioning existed. Between WW1 until Tillotson bought it in 1954 there were multiple owners and bankruptcies. It somewhat stabilized financially when they added skiing in 1966 and stayed open year around. As mentioned, Tillotson kept it going because he was wealthy from his rubber plant. The place probably never made money.
My parents and all thier friends went there every year, they loved it. My father is a fireman and his golf league went there for a week. Not a rich people at all. Acually blue collar and worked his ass of with 2 job to support 6 kids. and they had to reserve thier week in advance. Also everybody from my local golf course is talking about this and looking forward to it. And so are my friends. So where I am from there is a different perception than yours.
Les did amazing things at Sunday River, but he also got a lucky sweetheart deal when Sherburne (Killington) wanted to dump the place due to their own financial problems after they bought Mt Snow. He bought the place for $840k and Sherburne gave him the entire amount as a loan. The story of ASC started out pretty good but became a huge failure.
Les did awesome things at Sunday River, Sugarbush, Attitash and most of the places I skied at associated with the ASC Pass. I get it you heate him and that is fine.
The downside at The Balsams will be for the RE buyers when the ski area cannot support itself and has to close.
So you can see the future can you. Let's not kill the calf before it grows please.
Les announced this project in 2014. He has been unable to get any private or public financing until he recently got some kind of non-profit funding. If this thing was viable, private money would be lining up at his door to give him money and money has been super cheap until recently. Lenders get rich from lending money to projects that are viable.
Funding is tricky and is impacted by many different factors. In 2014 he was still awaiting all kinds of approvals from the local and state authorites. Lenders are funny about thise kinds of things. Some places have taken 15 years to get through the red tape. You just have to have the stomach for it. Either way lets see where it goes. I want to see this succeed. I really like the building, the area and the concept. It's just another option to ski and have fun. Plus the side country out there has the potential to be really good. I will be there if it happens.

Razor

I thought what Les did with ASC was awesome. Too bad it couldn't last. We had some great years when I first retired. Bought a unit at the Summit at SR. We had space available privileges at all the other ASC hotels, so we hopped around to all of them for just the housekeeping fees. Killington, Mt. Snow, Attitash, Sugarloaf. We even got to use it at Canyons when we were in Utah. Plus add in the all-for-one pass, and we did a lot of skiing at a lot of different places for short money. But I paid in a different way as I bought some ASC stock and rode it all the way down to nothing. Taught me a valuable lesson.

Edd

The ASC pass opened up my whole skiing world. I was a Sunday River homer and checking out Attitash, Mt Snow, and Killington was huge for me. It was close to that period that I jumped on AZ and I’ve learned so much since then.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

I resent NH freeloaders (excuse me, free-staters) for their parasitic policy of “tax exporting” (collecting tax revenues from residents of other states), eg the Meals and Rentals Tax which makes up 11% of NH tax revenues, placing liquor stores near state borders, tolling the turnpike, etc
Mass taxes remote workers if the company is MA based and you live and work in NH. Now that's parasitic.

JoeB-Z

How about we stop pretending that this was some crowded summer mecca for regular people. It was a fancy, gated, mountain hotel of the era were rich people from the cities spent the summer in the mountains before air conditioning existed. Between WW1 until Tillotson bought it in 1954 there were multiple owners and bankruptcies. It somewhat stabilized financially when they added skiing in 1966 and stayed open year around. As mentioned, Tillotson kept it going because he was wealthy from his rubber plant. The place probably never made money.

Les did amazing things at Sunday River, but he also got a lucky sweetheart deal when Sherburne (Killington) wanted to dump the place due to their own financial problems after they bought Mt Snow. He bought the place for $840k and Sherburne gave him the entire amount as a loan. The story of ASC started out pretty good but became a huge failure.

The downside at The Balsams will be for the RE buyers when the ski area cannot support itself and has to close.

Les announced this project in 2014. He has been unable to get any private or public financing until he recently got some kind of non-profit funding. If this thing was viable, private money would be lining up at his door to give him money and money has been super cheap until recently. Lenders get rich from lending money to projects that are viable.
People went to the mountains to diminish the chance of getting polio also.

Newpylong

Mass taxes remote workers if the company is MA based and you live and work in NH. Now that's parasitic.
No, they do not. This was a temporary measure to tax telecommuters during COVID.

I moved to NH a decade ago and work for a company headquartered in MA. You only legally must report days physically spent in Massachusetts (if you ever go into the office).

parahelia

The ASC pass opened up my whole skiing world. I was a Sunday River homer and checking out Attitash, Mt Snow, and Killington was huge for me. It was close to that period that I jumped on AZ and I’ve learned so much since then.
Same here. Mr. Parahelia and I got the All For One ASC passes starting in the mid 2000s and that’s what turned us from casual skiers into 40+-day skiers. The silver and bronze passes were a steal and totally changed our attitude towards skiing - who cares if the day is marginal if you have a pass?

The parade of dirtbag motels we stayed in across northern New England at that time was something. Pretty sure the Stratton Motel near Sugarloaf rarely changed sheets, but at $50/night it worked for a grad student budget.

Fast forward to now, and we have a small condo at SR, ski every weekend, and have kids who can rip up anything they see. Without ASC’s cheap entry passes, it may never have happened, and winters would have sucked.

DrPeteG

Miss the ASC credit card. Was able to use the rebate vouchers for the season tickets for the whole family.

Hawk

Mee too Edd. There is a bunch of us. That is specifically why I am at Sugarbush. I got married and my wife was at Grad School durring that time. there was a couple she became good friend with that had a condo at Sugarbush. We stayed with them so lodging and skiing was basically zero cost. Well except for wine. That was the deal. North Linx was my first place we stayed and influenced me to buy at Lincoln peak. We never look back.

Puck it

No, they do not. This was a temporary measure to tax telecommuters during COVID.

I moved to NH a decade ago and work for a company headquartered in MA. You only legally must report days physically spent in Massachusetts (if you ever go into the office).
Yes that is correct. I had to correct my tax guy and tell him to get the refund when the executive order expired. However, technically you have to report taxes to other states like NY MA or CA if you are a NH based employee or TX or any other states with no income taxes

thebigo

I just cashed in a ton of Boyne Rewards for my Brighton Twilight Season Pass.
Same here, between early buy/renewal discount and boyne rewards our loon/sr passes ended up cheaper than our ragged passes.

Just curious - there a specific reason boyne is going no bubble on swift?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yes that is correct. I had to correct my tax guy and tell him to get the refund when the executive order expired. However, technically you have to report taxes to other states like NY MA or CA if you are a NH based employee or TX or any other states with no income taxes

I've worked remote living in NH since 2008. Worked for two NJ based companies, 1 Seattle and 1 San Diego.

So far I have never been asked to file income taxes in those states. Thankfully

BodeMiller1

I've worked remote living in NH since 2008. Worked for two NJ based companies, 1 Seattle and 1 San Diego.

This is where it gets complicated. States have the right to tax as they see fit.
Started with pro sports. Why not tax a pitcher making $7,000,999 an inning. The guy 🫧 ng up after the game is taxed.

The answer is in state and Federal tax code. These tax lawyers and accountants are worth every penny.

The Supreme Court ruled (30yaers or so ago) you have the right to do your taxes to limit payments.

The Uniform Commercial Code is adimate tax code CAN NOT infringe on interstate commerce.

In other words let sleeping dogs lie.

cdskier

I think a lot has to do with not just where the company is based, but where they classify your position as being based out of. If the company classifies you as a remote worker based in NH, then all of the taxes on the company's end should be reported properly to the appropriate state(s) to reflect that you are "working in NH". The issue comes in more when a company says people are based in a particular location but really not or when a person lives in one state but works in another. That's when it becomes more complicated to report when you file your income taxes (this really became a more noticeable issue during the pandemic when a lot of people were working remotely from states they were not technically based in according to their company's records, although it has also long been something people that live in one state and officially work in another have needed to do).

BodeMiller1

It's a paper war, The Battle of the Forms.

When COVID hit Sunnunu saw New Hampshire professionals stopped going to their physical offices. So, he said the workers should no like longer paying Mass. tax.

As mentioned above. Where are you when you make money. If you dream of a new idea, a business thought, can you depreciate your bed. Probably not.