Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 84 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    I think the key is Canada. Mt. Tremblant is not the most impressive mountain, yet people flock to it. It's a tough sell, but there are definitely enough Canadians within 2-3 hours to make it work.

I think the key is to make it a resort, and not just a ski hill. It's got to have other attractions to draw people in.

From the south, the drive is brutal. I've always been amazed at just how remote it is from points south.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post

They're out of their minds. 4 hours from Boston and 7 from NYC and 1,000 vertical. Who is going to finance that?
    I've been there several times & I'm from NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    I've been there several times & I'm from NYC.
    You are the exception. Just because you have made the trip does not mean that a similar percentage will make that trip as would a shorter trip. Hopefully their marketing department understands the dangers of using a sample size of one person.

Dude the place was one of the premier resorts in the entire country for a long time. There are plenty of people from all over the Northeast that went there religiously.

That being said, recent history not so much, but it wasnt so long ago that people have completely forgotten about it.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    You are the exception. Just because you have made the trip does not mean that a similar percentage will make that trip as would a shorter trip. Hopefully their marketing department understands the dangers of using a sample size of one person.
    Never been to Burke & if that's the attitude of folks from the NEK probably never will. Much better places even further away. Last time I was up to Stoneham just north of Quebec City there was a group at least a hundred strong from Brooklyn, NY. I guess no one from around here drives that far. Drove right past your little misfit ski hill.
    Last edited by steamboat1; May 24, 2014 at 3:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    I think the key is Canada. Mt. Tremblant is not the most impressive mountain, yet people flock to it.
    I'd bet a large percentage of their business comes from the states. You know people that drive a long way to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Dude the place was one of the premier resorts in the entire country for a long time. There are plenty of people from all over the Northeast that went there religiously.
    Even when it was a world class destination, the Balsams almost always lost money. Its been well documented in numerous publications.

I hope Les can make his plans happen, but its pretty easy to have doubts about the financial viability of his plans.

Wasn't arguing whether they were profitable, just that there was/is a market.

Wonder how much the culinary school affected their numbers. The times I stayed there they couldnt have been pushing more than 20% occupancy and had a buffet spread fit for kings.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

But your argument is centered on an an unprofitable market. Are people here seriously suggesting that the distance is not a hinderance? Really?

I'm suggesting to acknowledge this and plan accordingly. I never thought this suggestion would be controversial. Not in a million years.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Wasn't arguing whether they were profitable, just that there was/is a market.
    Nobody said that the market did not exist. It's just never been sufficient to turn a profit. That' san important bit of context that cannot be ignored by the new owners.

Thread Information