• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

AdironRider

Wait, where exactly are we getting the largest resort in the Northeast from, the 8 miles of snomaking pipe quote?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 8 miles of snowmaking pipe doesnt seem like enough to create the largest resort in the Northeast, unless they are planning on substantial natural product....

I feel like 8 miles would do just one or two pods at Killington, presumably with Skyeship base being one of them.

Edd

Wait, where exactly are we getting the largest resort in the Northeast from, the 8 miles of snomaking pipe quote?

Could be just phase 1, or whatever. It's pretty easy to be skeptical about this. They need a hook, something nobody else has. And by hook, I mean strippers in the base lodge.

AdironRider

As long as they are higher quality than the Montreal Super Sexe talent, I dont see how the place could fail.

yeggous

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 8 miles of snowmaking pipe doesnt seem like enough to create the largest resort in the Northeast, unless they are planning on substantial natural product....

I feel like 8 miles would do just one or two pods at Killington, presumably with Skyeship base being one of them.

Depends. Killington has lots of short vertical pods so you might get two if you run pipe between two trails. Somewhere with more continuous vertical you'd get one pod.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
The topography and location doesn't support a new "largest area in the east." Not even close really.

I think Les knows this. I also think Les knows how to to generate excitement about the future by talking up his dreams of grandeur for a place.

That said, they get 225" of natural a year, most in New Hampshire.

Who knows if or where the capital will come from.

Currently, Sugarloaf is the biggest ski area in the east and it's actually a little bit easier to get to than the Balsams and has a FAR better mountain, arguably the best vertical/terrain offering there is on the East Coast.

What would it take from the Balsams as a "mega eastern ski resort" to make people consider it a better place to go than Sugarloaf.

I can't think of anything.

Mapnut

Would you think that Les's record in ski development would help or actually hurt in finding investors?

VTKilarney

As far-fetched as his ideas may be, I'm happy to see somebody at least trying. And it's not just anybody...

ThinkSnow

I believe opening the original resort is definitely plausible.

I was hiking in Dixville Notch in June, and wandered around the Balsams property. It is far from ready to reopen, and definitely not as the "original" resort. Other than the buildings that were intentionally demolished, a lot of the remaining structure is literally falling down (not visible from Route 26).

mbedle

Depends. Killington has lots of short vertical pods so you might get two if you run pipe between two trails. Somewhere with more continuous vertical you'd get one pod.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

The 8-mile referenced was to install a pipeline from Androscoggin River to the resort. Not actually snow making pipelines.

Last edited:

mbedle

I also wonder if the "Largest" comes from them owning 10K acres and plan to open it up to all outdoor activities. In theory, they would be the biggest, just not for skiing.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was hiking in Dixville Notch in June, and wandered around the Balsams property. It is far from ready to reopen, and definitely not as the "original" resort. Other than the buildings that were intentionally demolished, a lot of the remaining structure is literally falling down (not visible from Route 26).

Sad, so sad.

VTKilarney

Since Otten is relying on EB-5 money, this project certainly has its challenges. As Jay Peak has demonstrated, there are significant barriers to raising EB-5 funds in a rural area.

It is also my understanding that the buildings that are still standing have been absolutely gutted - right down to removal of pipes and anything else that has even the slightest scrap value. I've been told that the funds raised by selling and scrapping everything, as well as income from the sale of timber, paid for the purchase of the property (and perhaps then some). While this may be good for the current owners, the result is that getting the resort back in operation will be MUCH more than just a rehab job.

ThinkSnow

It is also my understanding that the buildings that are still standing have been absolutely gutted

The buildings visible from Rt 26 were not completely gutted. The interior looked quite in-tact (carpeting, chandeliers, etc.)

Can't speak for those that were collapsing.

mbedle

Its interesting to look at Google street view. They actually filmed a bunch of snowmobile runs around the resort property. Plus you can clearly see what buildings they have already torn down.

ThinkSnow

If the wiring and plumbing is as old as the resort, it wouldn't surprise me if they were going to all be replaced-- just hopefully while keeping the historical charm of the place in-tact. When the Mountain View Grand was initially remodeled, all the interior history of the place was lost.

ThinkSnow

attachment.php
View from Table Rock back in June

Attachments

• View from Table Rock.jpg
    View from Table Rock.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 753