Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten - Page 81

AlpineZone

Page 81 of 84 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Bump. Now LBO wants public money again.

https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/...e6632655c.html
    He always has maintained that would be a needed component.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

I was just saying to myself the other day....what is going on with the Balsams project......
    Ski it like you stole it!

Lets just hope the economy can keep pace because this is unbelievable. Also makes me concerned that a successful Balsams means the end of Saddleback for good.

Makes me think....what is considered the newest "big" mountain? Sunday River? Looks like that one turned out OK

If you qualify it as big, Bretton Woods in 1973

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryIsaacs View Post
    Lets just hope the economy can keep pace because this is unbelievable. Also makes me concerned that a successful Balsams means the end of Saddleback for good.

Makes me think....what is considered the newest "big" mountain? Sunday River? Looks like that one turned out OK
    A massive Balsams buildout would definitely make Saddleback less viable.

To me, the issue with Saddleback is that the Berry guy who owns the place is completely delusional. He seems too proud proud to realize that he failed, and that his dreams of restraining land around the boundary for real estate development will 100% prohibit him from ever selling the resort.

How stupid would someone have to be to pay him to just own/operate the ski area with no potential real estate upside? The guy can't even keep the place operational is it is.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Agreed. I can understand not wanting to turn the place into Sunday River 2.0 with massive development and a desire to maintain the unique character of the place, but Saddleback needs a substantial increase in bed base to be viable. You need a core group of a couple thousand vacation home owners that will show up every weekend to keep the lights on.

The Balsams needs to re-open for historical reasons alone. It has always been, and will always be, a destination resort. It is a viable destination resort if properly managed. Coos County is a year round happening place, gaining more and more visitors every year, except for mud season. They need to make sure it's well connected to the snow mobile and ATV trails and welcome both. I imagine skiing trackless powder every run there if they ever did develop all that they want to.

I disagree about the viability without major second home development. The old hotel operation lost money almost every year for the last few decades it was open. A buddy of mine was friends with the Tillotsons. He made all his money in the rubber industry. The Balsams was a hobby of Neil's and he was quite open about it's financial hardships. Ocean Properties who own the Wentworth, Sagamore and about 100 other hotels around the country took a pass on it because they didn't see it as financially viable.

Perhaps Les Otten will tackle Saddleback after Balsams gets going?
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Thread Information