• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

WWF-VT

Just an observation, but the current president has some 500 current businesses going, not to mention any he may have shut down in the past. He's had what, 4 or 6 bankruptcies, depending on how you count them? That is a failure rate of about 1%. This is easily confirmed on any google search.

As far as how Les has done in business, we are all well aware of his one huge failure (despite being forever grateful for expanding ski areas for all of us to enjoy). Factor that in with his total business ventures, and unless he has 100 other business ventures, his failure rate will be much higher than the current president.

Numbers...

Don't confuse Trump's 500 or so limited liability companies (LLCs) with actual operating companies . Most are just on paper as a way to shuffle income and avoid paying taxes. Trump's multiple corporate bankruptcy filings and business failures likely dwarf the financial cost of the wind down of American Skiing Company

bdfreetuna

Don't confuse Trump's 500 or so limited liability companies (LLCs) with actual operating companies . Most are just on paper as a way to shuffle income and avoid paying taxes. Trump's multiple corporate bankruptcy filings and business failures likely dwarf the financial cost of the wind down of American Skiing Company

Let's do it... under budget and ahead of schedule!

T-Washington.jpg

machski

If I am reading it correctly it seems the problem is they want to sell tax free property to the upper 1% for the resort while creating low paying service jobs.

machski

If I am reading it correctly it seems the problem is they want to sell tax free property to the upper 1% for the resort while creating low paying service jobs.
Not to worry, you are not reading it correctly. What they want is the development bond floated but because Dixville is Unincorporated, the waters are muddy on this. In addition, the law currently ties the BFA into it. The tax question was on business tax relief. Business taxes in NH are quite onerous, and as Otten pointed out, relief is given to get business in state. If a biotech can get it in Manchester, one would think a business in the great North could get the same (considering the lack of jobs up there. Southern NH really is not at a loss for jobs).

Not really sure how you read tax free property for the wealthy. A no property tax for buyers was not even alluded to in that article.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

2Planker

Tax free property? In New Hampshire? Don't they brag about not having a property tax? Am I missing something here?

NH has NO sales tax and NO State Income Tax
BUT there Property Taxes are higher than every other state in NE

machski

NH has NO sales tax and NO State Income Tax
BUT there Property Taxes are higher than every other state in NE
You have to pay some way. We actually also have an interest and dividend tax for individuals as well. But the personal exemption is $2400.00 so most don't even need to file. But when you renew or get a DL in NH, you have to attest on the app you have met your obligation on the Dividend and Interest taxes.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Not to worry, you are not reading it correctly. What they want is the development bond floated but because Dixville is Unincorporated, the waters are muddy on this. In addition, the law currently ties the BFA into it. The tax question was on business tax relief. Business taxes in NH are quite onerous, and as Otten pointed out, relief is given to get business in state. If a biotech can get it in Manchester, one would think a business in the great North could get the same (considering the lack of jobs up there. Southern NH really is not at a loss for jobs).

Not really sure how you read tax free property for the wealthy. A no property tax for buyers was not even alluded to in that article.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

I was reading it the same way. It appears that the entire business was looking for tax exemption. Yes that would therefore kind of apply to 1%ers, but its saving the ski resort money and helping them get in the door.

GregoryIsaacs

Lets just hope the economy can keep pace because this is unbelievable. Also makes me concerned that a successful Balsams means the end of Saddleback for good.

Makes me think....what is considered the newest "big" mountain? Sunday River? Looks like that one turned out OK