• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

Snow is great, terrain is meh

Very much a plan for an all inclusive resort. There is nothing, absolutely nothing around so in that sense the most middle of nowhere resort in the NE

ThinkSnow

Sugarloaf, ME is almost a 5 hour drive from the metro Boston area, and 3:45 from Montreal.

Dixville Notch is just over 4 hours from metro Boston, and just under 3 hours from Montreal.

Not sure how one can make a call on the terrain when trails haven't even been cut yet.

real easy topo maps

Don't know about the Montreal direction, but I bet real driving time is closer between the two you listed

machski

Has anyone on AZ actually skied the Balsams? Any photos/trip reports?
Honestly, that will not do what they have planned justice. Thanks have been up but never skied. The current area is just 1000 feet of Vert and very small. I believe it was just an also thought to the entire Balsams resort which existed before they added the alpine skiing. The new terrain they plan to the South West of current area plus from the true Summit zone will ski quite differently.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Plan was for a very spread out network of lifts. Imagine it would have provided a nice intermediate ski area with quiet trails. Have not skied there. Know friends who did way back in the day. I have toured nearby and spent time up in the area. Folks were really hoping for it to happen as no jobs and young people have all moved away. Hardly any kids in the Errol schools.

I have a hard time seeing it open. 2 good size ski areas on either side shuttered now. I would be looking at the owners of real estate at both these and run far away from putting any real money at the Balsams.

x10003q

However, The Balsams was being redesigned and marketed as a 4 season destination experience. Jay is more of hey come play in the water park in winter day/weekend trip experience. Different business models ultimately.

But what is the special spring/summer/fall draw? A cooking class?
You can find golf, spas, excellent hiking, lake/water sports at many other resorts. There are also a lot of existing luxury (mountain/beach) resorts that The Balsams will have for competition.

The only realistic shot The Balsams has to gain some momentum is if they can make the skiing work. The Balsams' location will make that a difficult task.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm just trying to figure out what reason would a large amount of people decide it's worth the extra 90 minutes to get to the Balsams over Bretton Woods. BW has basically everything the Balsams is stating they will offer. Is 50" more snow and slightly steeper terrain going to draw the 4-500k skier visits an operation that large will likely need to be sustainable?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

I'm just trying to figure out what reason would a large amount of people decide it's worth the extra 90 minutes to get to the Balsams over Bretton Woods. BW has basically everything the Balsams is stating they will offer. Is 50" more snow and slightly steeper terrain going to draw the 4-500k skier visits an operation that large will likely need to be sustainable?

Last I checked, BW does not have a lake at the foot of the resort. Balsams does (granted, not huge). The scenery is hard to beat at the resort up there. The fact it is a secluded, self contained spa/resort is very attractive to a certain cachet. It thrived when the Mount Washington hotel and other grands were as well and closer. Before it closed in the 2000's, I actually flew into Berlin with a Gulfstream V with a family headed to the Balsams. It was fall, but they were headed there for tennis, foliage and the secludedness. If done right, I think there is a market. I'll say it again, their core market is not really those of us on this board.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You may have missed my comment earlier, but it didn't thrive in modern times. It was basically a hobby for Neil Tilliotson. Lost money almost every year. He made his money in the rubber industry (invented the latex balloon) and self financed the operation.

benski

I think they have a shot. I think they succeed they will provide high end facilities, all within walking distance of each other and the lifts. It sounds like it will try to draw, people mostly from Stratton, Okemo, and Mont Tremblant. I here all 3 are packed, so there could be a lot of demand from those crowds for a less crowded mountain with similar base facilities. I think you are foolish to compare it to Burke, SugarLoaf, or Saddleback. I think the experience of the Balsams will vary too much for many people to switch from one of those mountains to the other.

x10003q

Last I checked, BW does not have a lake at the foot of the resort. Balsams does (granted, not huge). The scenery is hard to beat at the resort up there. The fact it is a secluded, self contained spa/resort is very attractive to a certain cachet. It thrived when the Mount Washington hotel and other grands were as well and closer. Before it closed in the 2000's, I actually flew into Berlin with a Gulfstream V with a family headed to the Balsams. It was fall, but they were headed there for tennis, foliage and the secludedness. If done right, I think there is a market. I'll say it again, their core market is not really those of us on this board.

You are not going to financially support a 500 acre East Coast ski area (much less a 2200 acre/full Balsams build out) with the people who have access to private jets. You need the people who drive up on a Friday and go home on Sunday for work and school.
The nostalgic history no longer matters. The car and the interstates have given everybody the freedom to go where they want, not where the railroad tracks went.

machski

You are not going to financially support a 500 acre East Coast ski area (much less a 2200 acre/full Balsams build out) with the people who have access to private jets. You need the people who drive up on a Friday and go home on Sunday for work and school.
The nostalgic history no longer matters. The car and the interstates have given everybody the freedom to go where they want, not where the railroad tracks went.
Probably not, but I used it as an example to show there was draw far greater than you have painted to it in the past. As for DHS's comments to it's recent past, I was more referring to Balsams heyday which was probably from around when I was born (1970's and earlier). There is no doubt the model carries risk, but if something like this was going to be built, the seclusion to me is the one of the key draws. You could build up Killington with a posh base village, high end spas sculpted in to the village landscape and have something similar (all be without the lake) but it wouldn't carry that uniqueness due to everyone able and willing to (mostly) get there easily.

All this debate is likely academic anyway now. The monetary lending markets have pretty much spoken.

That is a different animal all together. Also not really very close.

you are right not that close, but I thought the model might have been somewhat similar. My knowledge of the Hermitage would not fill a teacup so defer to you.

As machski says academic at this point.