• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

machski

Well, I think the rapid build out is required if the Balsams is to succeed. Many have noted the distance and drive time. F you don't offer much at the start, who will go? But if suddenly you open with 600 acres of terrain, multiple pods and lifts, many may venture to investigate something new. Add the spa, promised foodie stuff and the tranquility of Dixville notch, it could be a unique draw. Tremblant is far away from most US locations and not really a much better mountain than what is closer to get to, yet they do draw well from the Eastern US. Why? Because they created an experience fairly unique in the East. Balsams will succeed if they create a unique nitch that differs from the overall experience at most other resorts. May not speak to many of us here, but there are segments where it will. Time will tell if they pull this off.

ironhippy

Well, I think the rapid build out is required if the Balsams is to succeed. Many have noted the distance and drive time. F you don't offer much at the start, who will go? But if suddenly you open with 600 acres of terrain, multiple pods and lifts, many may venture to investigate something new. Add the spa, promised foodie stuff and the tranquility of Dixville notch, it could be a unique draw. Tremblant is far away from most US locations and not really a much better mountain than what is closer to get to, yet they do draw well from the Eastern US. Why? Because they created an experience fairly unique in the East. Balsams will succeed if they create a unique nitch that differs from the overall experience at most other resorts. May not speak to many of us here, but there are segments where it will. Time will tell if they pull this off.

Tremblant is 2 hours north of Montreal though, they'd probably do ok without the Eastern US skiers (obviously not with their current model, I'm just saying, they have lots of skiers in the region)

VTKilarney

x10003q

Tremblant is 2 hours north of Montreal though, they'd probably do ok without the Eastern US skiers (obviously not with their current model, I'm just saying, they have lots of skiers in the region)

Over 5 million people within 2 hours from the Montreal and Ottawa metro areas and about 1/2 the 5 million are within 1:30. Anybody have a link to the percentage of US skiers at Tremblant?

VTKilarney

Tremblant is also really busy in the summer. Lots of lakes, bicycling, etc.

I compare it to Stowe in that regard. It's a true multi-season resort town.

MadMadWorld

He pointed out the pros with going forward. As of last night, the Balsams have 105" of snow, and he said that was not measured with the ruler he used to use for the Sunday River snow reports! End of Last April, there was 4 feet of snow pack atop the mountain. Basically, lots of natural snow. Additionally, the woods have not been cut in some ares for over 100 years, and you have these huge majestic oak trees growing there, spread way out, and nothing growing under them, so you will have some awesome tree skiing.

Hmm that smells of old growth forest. Massachusetts tree huggers shut down Wachusett expansion because of that a decade ago. Granted it wasn't on the same scale but hopefully NH is less uppity.

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

Mapnut

If you look at aerial photography, there's been a lot of logging in the east-facing bowl where the best skiing looks to be. There's even a huge clear-cut that might be skiable.

Morwax

They just need another 24 million in deposits for unbuilt
condos and they will start cleaning the place up.. or sell out to hydro quebec :dontknow:

machski

Will be interested to see what 'construction beginning' actually results in this fall, if anything at all happens. Sounds like Les may be pushing for a 2018-2019 opening of the ski area.
With the deep pockets at Saddleback not likely kicking that into full gear until 2018-19 season, Les has to be pushing for that now I would think. Can't wait and let any more potential market share slip out.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

I was in Errol this past weekend and was told the elementary school has 4 students. Folks there very much want this to go through.