Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten - Page 74

AlpineZone

Page 74 of 84 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Balsams is further and even more grand in scope than Killington.
    More grand in scope than Kmart-- well, what isn't? Its also a similar distance as say-- Jay Peak, and gets the same quality/quantity of snowfall.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Well Sugarloaf is also in the middle of nowhere...
    Sugarloaf also has a history of not making money and a bankruptcy in the late 1980s. It is a good example of frequent, negative financial results despite the monster terrain. This is because Sugarloaf is in the middle of nowhere. Sugarloaf does have a long tradition of excellent skiing dating back to the 1950s which is why it continues to be a popular place to visit. The Balsams does not have a long tradition of big mountain skiing or excellent terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q View Post
    The Balsams does not have a long tradition of big mountain skiing or excellent terrain.
    This is true, however, the property is big enough to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    More grand in scope than Kmart-- well, what isn't? Its also a similar distance as say-- Jay Peak, and gets the same quality/quantity of snowfall.
    It depends on where you are starting. Jay is about an hour closer to Montreal vs The Balsams and from here in north NJ, Jay is also about an hour closer. For about an extra half hour I could be at Sugarloaf vs going to The Balsams. The real issue for The Balsams is that most major ski areas are hours closer from the US metro areas.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    This is true, however, the property is big enough to change that.
    The property is big enough, but it is not compelling. I would certainly try it, but I doubt it will make me want to regularly drive by all of Vermont, Gore/WF, and some of the closer NH areas.

It depends on where you are starting. Jay is about an hour closer to Montreal vs The Balsams and from here in north NJ, Jay is also about an hour closer. For about an extra half hour I could be at Sugarloaf vs going to The Balsams. The real issue for The Balsams is that most major ski areas are hours closer from the US metro areas.

The property is big enough, but it is not compelling. I would certainly try it, but I doubt it will make me want to regularly drive by all of Vermont, Gore/WF, and some of the closer NH areas.
    The problem many on this board are having is that yes, the Balsams plan is for a large ski area. But that is not the only selling point to perspective owners here. They are selling a 4 season uplevel resort experience that is tucked up in the Northern Wilderness. Our friends who have a deposit down are case in point. They went in given all the other focuses around the resort that add to the skiing. If you are just looking for a ski area, you are right, many other areas are closer and probably just as good skiing. That is not the demo they are targeting at Balsams.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

I guess is also depends on perspective-- not everyone is concerned with extra drive time if the skiing is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    The problem many on this board are having is that yes, the Balsams plan is for a large ski area. But that is not the only selling point to perspective owners here. They are selling a 4 season uplevel resort experience that is tucked up in the Northern Wilderness. Our friends who have a deposit down are case in point. They went in given all the other focuses around the resort that add to the skiing. If you are just looking for a ski area, you are right, many other areas are closer and probably just as good skiing. That is not the demo they are targeting at Balsams.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app
    If they are not targeting skiers I am missing the point of The Balsams. If they are only focused on the upscale market, Otten's vision of what The Balsams can be will never happen. They are advertising a full build out of a 2200 acre ski resort with 22 lifts. The skiing is the main reason to go up there and buy property. Everything else at the Balsams besides skiing is easily found at many other resorts.

Here is the list of proposed amenities from the website-- seems they've missed the culinary school mention.

Largest and most advanced ski resort on the East Coast
    • Legendary Donald Ross 18-hole Golf Course
    • Mountain lakes for boating, swimming, fishing
    • Endless miles of maintained trails for biking, running, hiking and designated recreational vehicles
    • Fitness Center with Yoga and Pilates
    • Aerial Adventure Park
    • Performing Arts Center and festivals
    • Unique lakeside “Resort Campus” layout
    • Adjacency to the US/Canadian 1,000 mile snowmobile “Superhighway”
    All activities are conveniently located on property

Being in the middle of nowhere wasn't an issue when train travel was king and only the rich had air conditioners. People would escape the summer heat in the cities for vacations at The Balsams. Check out Saddleback if you want to see what happens to a ski resort in the middle of nowhere.

Jay Peak also in the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by eatskisleep View Post
    Jay Peak also in the middle of nowhere.
    And yet close enough to Montreal and hell even Burlington Vermont isn't that far away and loaded with college kids that praise Jay.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Thread Information