Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten - Page 16

AlpineZone

Page 16 of 84 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    I pulled up for my internship at this place on May 5th and there were 20 foot deep banks in that notch. Snow is as good as it gets back east and they retain it better than most for sure. My home area at Kirkwood now is 1800 feet at best and we all have a grand time....Alta Supreme lift is like 9oo feet. You don't need 3k vert to build a premiere are, of course it helps.

I really can only hope they reinstate the culinary school that was in place. It was awesome. You don't remember hearing too much about as not a lot made it through. The ones that did were all amazing chefs, a very unique program.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_ox View Post
    Wow. Just wow.

http://m.nhpr.org/?utm_referrer=http...3#mobile/64545
    Claims to be investing quite a bit of his own money. Very intriguing.

Is the mountain that Balsams ski area on really that big?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    Kinda like Sunday River. No peaks are particularly high but it's a wide ridge of peaks. Colebrook is sorta like the old west but instead of a empty town with tumbleweed blowing around they have snow.

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/...2013-0900a.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    "Yes" to have the largest vertical in the East (as the write up proclaims), however, "No" to the most vertical in the East....

Kind of like White Heat being the Widest Steepest expert trail, but not being the Steepest, Widest expert trail...

Quote Originally Posted by skiMEbike View Post
    "Yes" to have the largest vertical in the East (as the write up proclaims), however, "No" to the most vertical in the East....

Kind of like White Heat being the Widest Steepest expert trail, but not being the Steepest, Widest expert trail...
    Ahh clear as mud :what:

Well that is certainly FAR more ambitious than I was thinking!

I think the "Largest Vertical Drop" claim may come at full build out. If totaling up the vertical of ALL of the trails, the total number would surpass Killington. This would be very possible given that a lot of those pods are between 1000 and 1400 vert.

Other things...
    1440 lowest elevation I can find (bottom of Pod on the north side of "East Village" in the Route 26 valley).
    3431 highest elev I can find (Sub peak to the East of Dixville Peak)
    Total (not anywhere close to continuous) vert = 1991 But I'm sure Les will squeeze out the other 9 feet somewhere to get to the 2000 mark, even if it is in the river .
    3.5 miles end to end
    Two short upper mountain pods (700'-850' vert) with tops over 3000' that would make excellent candidates for first to open in the east.

Thread Information