Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 84 1231151 ... LastLast

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS02/140219854
    Just saw the headline, didn't even read it yet.

"man you make it look so fluid"

I am thinking eb-5
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    I am thinking eb-5
    Otten isn't rich enough to do it himself? Semi-joking... yeah, this has EB-5 written all over it.

I can see Otten releasing a press release similar to something like this:
    "In ten years, we will have tripled the size of BW. We will add 59,693 new lifts, 99% will not run during the week. We will classic NE trails into 200-foot wide slopes that are scraped off and windblown by 10am. We are planning an interconnect with Sunday River, which we hope to complete before the end of the century. But to do that, we need to abandon ta 1/4 of the main mountain. We have 14 Grand Summit hotels in the works, (and yes, instead of slopeside, we'll build them ON the slope between the two base lodges!). We will transform Balsams Wilderness from a nice family mountain to "the new Sunday River" or "the new Killington", but we want more. So we're making the trails wider, adding a 12-pack chairlift, and performing even less maintenance! Enjoy "The New Balsams".

2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

NO $HIT? Les Otten returns?!
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Much better than other recent news I've read about the hotel & mountain.

He knows what he is doing. He is of the opinion that Wall Street was what ruined ASC. I'm not sure I agree with that, but I can understand it to a certain extent. If he just focuses on this one project and does it right then I think it will be good for the Balsams.

I never foresaw this ever happening.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    He is of the opinion that Wall Street was what ruined ASC. I'm not sure I agree with that, but I can understand it to a certain extent.
    Wait, what? LOL Did he actually say that? That would be the peak of hypocrisy.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Wait, what? LOL Did he actually say that? That would be the peak of hypocrisy.
    Yes. That is the jist of what he said in the Second Edition of Lorentz's "Killington" book.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

At least I got a bunch of free passes outside the exchange when ASC listed.

Love him or hate him, he expanded a lot of skiing when he ran ASC. Sure, he went bankrupt with those business ventures, I've failed a time or two myself. I can only see him doing anywhere from as bad as the current situation to better than the current situation. It can't get any worse than it is right now. Realistically, if he can get his horses lined up, I see the Balsams re-opening. It won't be the same, as that was a failed business model, never making money from what I read. It just can't open up the same as it was, say good bye to that. I guess, I'm saying, he'll get it re-opened as something different. Our other option seems to be to leave it as it has sat for the past couple years. Is no one else happy?
    lovin life,

Bob

Thread Information