Bike Log 2014 - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Bike Log 2014

Did some exploring on Sunday of the West End Trails in Yarmouth. In short: Super fun, no real elevation, beautiful costal views.

There has been a LOT of work going on here and the main trail runs directly onto Cousin's Island. The nab is, the map isn't 100% clear so it is easy to miss a KEY turn. For instance, I missed it, ended up riding an extra 4 miles on the road before realizing I had done it. Went back, looked more carefully and...boom. Found it. The Greater Portland Nemba chapter has done a lot of bridge work. Tons of buffed out singletrack along the power lines and some crushed rock to help with water.

Definitely worth a trip back. I speculate there is about 13 - 15 miles (out and back) to be had. I rode most of it. The system is expanding at a rapid rate. I met up with a couple of girls at the end where we all decided it would be bushwhack city if we continued. So much potential.

If you happen to be up in the area, it's a great alternative to Bradbury.

Quote Originally Posted by BackLoafRiver View Post
    Did some exploring on Sunday of the West End Trails in Yarmouth. In short: Super fun, no real elevation, beautiful costal views.

There has been a LOT of work going on here and the main trail runs directly onto Cousin's Island. The nab is, the map isn't 100% clear so it is easy to miss a KEY turn. For instance, I missed it, ended up riding an extra 4 miles on the road before realizing I had done it. Went back, looked more carefully and...boom. Found it. The Greater Portland Nemba chapter has done a lot of bridge work. Tons of buffed out singletrack along the power lines and some crushed rock to help with water.

Definitely worth a trip back. I speculate there is about 13 - 15 miles (out and back) to be had. I rode most of it. The system is expanding at a rapid rate. I met up with a couple of girls at the end where we all decided it would be bushwhack city if we continued. So much potential.

If you happen to be up in the area, it's a great alternative to Bradbury.
    Holy crap! I just moved (back for me) to Yarmouth fairly near Cousins Island and the power lines are about 100 yards through the woods from my apartment. I had heard something a while back about trail building, but knew nothing about it and have just been going to Bradbury to ride. Very exciting to hear that I can ride from my door. Thanks for the heads up, will have to check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Riverskier View Post
    Holy crap! I just moved (back for me) to Yarmouth fairly near Cousins Island and the power lines are about 100 yards through the woods from my apartment. I had heard something a while back about trail building, but knew nothing about it and have just been going to Bradbury to ride. Very exciting to hear that I can ride from my door. Thanks for the heads up, will have to check it out!
    Hit me up if you're ever looking to do some exploring but not into the solo-ride thing. The network is cool. DEFINITELY check out the stuff near the Tyler Technologies lot. (the opposite end from Cousins Island) The yellow trail in particular has some interesting character.

Hit me up if you're ever looking to do some exploring but not into the solo-ride thing. The network is cool. DEFINITELY check out the stuff near the Tyler Technologies lot. (the opposite end from Cousins Island) The yellow trail in particular has some interesting character.
    Will do that. Where is Tyler Technologies? I know every road in town (grew up here) but can't picture where they are located.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverskier View Post
    Will do that. Where is Tyler Technologies? I know every road in town (grew up here) but can't picture where they are located.
    1 tyler Drive in Yarmouth...right off RT 1 as you go over 295. (heading south on 1) Basically the lot is at the top of Tyler Drive. (google Patriot Insurance) Go to the tippity top, look to your left, and you will see a sign with a map and the trail head.

1 tyler Drive in Yarmouth...right off RT 1 as you go over 295. (heading south on 1) Basically the lot is at the top of Tyler Drive. (google Patriot Insurance) Go to the tippity top, look to your left, and you will see a sign with a map and the trail head.
    Rode some of this today and what I rode was sweet! After an unsuccessful attempt at bushwacking over to the power lines from my apartment, I rode a half mile down to Route 88 and found the blue trail. I rode that up to Tyler Technologies and on the way noticed a trail, complete with a bridge, right over to my apartment complex. The trail is literally 100 yards out my back door! I rode the yellow trail back to 88 and wanted to head out toward Cousins Island, but it started downpouring so I took the rode a half mile back home. Great riding right in my backyard! I can't wait to check out the rest of it. Thanks for posting about this!

I've been meaning to post some stuff for a while from my bachelor party but I am just now getting shots in.

FWIW - we went to KT for 3 days. Best weekend I've had in forever. The highlight was my brother eating it twice on two little stunts. I have 3 screen shots from the second. I have video of both, which I will post when I get it uploaded to youtube but, I figure those of you who ride will appreciate this:
    My brother (in red) discussing the line:

In fairness, if he hadn't adjusted his front wheel, he would have cleared it. He didn't...

Attached Images Attached Images

A few more:

A rare shot of me riding

Typical "Sugarhouse" shot:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here we go:

And this:

Thread Information