• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log 2014

drjeff

After a slow road start for me because of my inability to seemingly say "no" when asked if I'd serve on various professional committees and/or boards combined with my kids having either soccer practice or soccer games 7 days a week right now, I've finally managed to get back out on the roads of NE CT after work a bunch of nights the the last 2.5 weeks

Went through the 200 mile mark on the season last night on my 7th ride of the year. I had forgotten how much I enjoy about 2 hours in the saddle after work to destress a bit before going home! :)

bvibert

Staff member
After a slow road start for me because of my inability to seemingly say "no" when asked if I'd serve on various professional committees and/or boards combined with my kids having either soccer practice or soccer games 7 days a week right now, I've finally managed to get back out on the roads of NE CT after work a bunch of nights the the last 2.5 weeks

Went through the 200 mile mark on the season last night on my 7th ride of the year. I had forgotten how much I enjoy about 2 hours in the saddle after work to destress a bit before going home! :)

I was out riding in your neck of the woods last weekend. There was a NEMBA trail building school that I attended on Saturday and Sunday, which was held at Goodwin State Forest in the Chaplin/Hampton area. We rode after working on Saturday. Ended up with 7.8 miles. It was a nice ride, but overly rocky in some spots, and it was still a bit wet in spots from the rain the previous day.

drjeff

I was out riding in your neck of the woods last weekend. There was a NEMBA trail building school that I attended on Saturday and Sunday, which was held at Goodwin State Forest in the Chaplin/Hampton area. We rode after working on Saturday. Ended up with 7.8 miles. It was a nice ride, but overly rocky in some spots, and it was still a bit wet in spots from the rain the previous day.

Goodwin does have some fun terrain but also areas with notorious drainage issues!! A bunch of the crew out of the shop where I get the majority of my cycling equipment, Danielson Adventure Sports, are very active in CT NEMBA, and even have a year round Tuesday evening "Coast and Toast" where they ride a few hours on the trails (the "coast" part) and then drink a few after back at the shop (the "toast" part) either inside or out by the shop's fire pit. And considering that a licensed brewery, Black Pond Brewing, just opened up out of the basement of the shop, any of the shop rides or local cycling club rides that roll out of the shop (and that happens 3-4 days a week) are greated with some good, fresh, "rehydration fluid" upon finishing the ride! :) :beer:

BackLoafRiver

@snoseek - Where in Southern NH have you been biking? I am going to be in the Kittery area on Sunday and would dig an opportunity to ride Fort Rock again.

Got out for a brief 10 or so miler today. It didn't suck. Here are 2 crappy phone photos:
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1401064712.030388.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1401064694.458530.jpg

snoseek

@snoseek - Where in Southern NH have you been biking? I am going to be in the Kittery area on Sunday and would dig an opportunity to ride Fort Rock again.

Got out for a brief 10 or so miler today. It didn't suck. Here are 2 crappy phone photos:
View attachment 12704

View attachment 12703

Next sunday? Pretty sure im working till 4 or so but could ride after. Stratham hill has some pretty fun stuff also, little bit less chunk than fort rock. I've been over in the towards the center at Bear Brook a lot. Good long xc type loops....some of the very finest in NH imho

BackLoafRiver

Next sunday? Pretty sure im working till 4 or so but could ride after. Stratham hill has some pretty fun stuff also, little bit less chunk than fort rock. I've been over in the towards the center at Bear Brook a lot. Good long xc type loops....some of the very finest in NH imho

Bear brook is great. I need to plan another trip down there. We spent a day and didn't cover much.

I'll keep you posted on the details for Sunday. A 4ish ride might work out perfectly.

snoseek

If you ever get a weekday like a Tuesday off ill show you all the good stuff at BB. It takes a guide and several hours but is so nice. I'll look at my event schedule for the weekend on Tuesday when I go to work

C-Rex

That ish looks fun. I like the semi-skinny bridge with the "get covered in stinky mud if you fail" factor. It's more fun than the "get dashed on jagged rocks if you fail" factor.

snoseek

And my sunday afternoon ride just turned to a sunday night ride...that's if I even have anything left after yet another hellish weekend at work. Going into a rough 5 weeks at work, surely going to cut into my ride time. This is the time of year when I work my ass off so I can travel later in the fall.

Wyatte74

work and now a cold has kept me from riding yet this year...just finished getting bike ready to ride, now all i hav to do is find time when im not working or exhausted from work to get out but I'm competing with wedding season in the catering business so yeah this sux...this has been my non-ride bike log report for 5/31/2014

snoseek

work and now a cold has kept me from riding yet this year...just finished getting bike ready to ride, now all i hav to do is find time when im not working or exhausted from work to get out but I'm competing with wedding season in the catering business so yeah this sux...this has been my non-ride bike log report for 5/31/2014

Heard.

I loathe may15-July 1st, after that things seem to get more reasonable till September...then it all goes to shit till after Colombus day weekend.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm up to 135 MTB miles so far this year.

This past weekend was good. We had a Scott bike demo on Saturday which had a great turnout, including BackLoafRiver, who came all the way from Maine to Connecticut. I put in 13 miles in 3 different loops (had to keep to shortish rides so that the demos weren't out for too long). Everyone seemed to have fun, and it was a great showcase for our trail system. A post ride BBQ didn't hurt either! :beer:

Yesterday I finally got my son back out for his second ride of the year. He did great on 3.3 miles over some rocky terrain. Now I just need to get my daughter back out there!

BackLoafRiver

This past weekend was good. We had a Scott bike demo on Saturday which had a great turnout, including BackLoafRiver, who came all the way from Maine to Connecticut. I put in 13 miles in 3 different loops (had to keep to shortish rides so that the demos weren't out for too long). Everyone seemed to have fun, and it was a great showcase for our trail system. A post ride BBQ didn't hurt either! :beer:

Saturday may have been a season highlight for me. First, HUGE thanks to BVibert and Woodcore (plus others) for showing me around. To quote a dear friend of mine, it was "some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on". Nass is super fun...it has a bit of everything. There was so much flow I couldn't get over it. The trail builders are doing some incredible stuff. It is such a stark contrast to what I am riding in Maine. A lot of it, I guess, has to do with the vastness of the network. I rode 15 miles and according to reports, that isn't even scratching the surface.

I now have to book a several day trip to the area so I can see more. Props to you guys for all you have done down there. Miller time was KT worthy. That one berm...sweet lord. I probably could have lapped it all day. Each of the three times I rode it I noticed my speed getting faster and was more comfortable. Such good stuff. The post-ride hang was great.

Where are the pictures from - that looks fun!

Both pics are from the fox trail at Bradbury. The out-of-focus pic is fox west. The swamp bridge is Fox East. I try and end every ride with East. As close to flow as I will get there.

That being said, I got a quick ride in yesterday. I decided to slice off a piece of humble pie and attempt the "O" trail once again. And, once again, I left defeated. That trail is bi-polar. It goes from really well defined and smooth to hell in a single turn. The trail has little elevation...practically none. But, it does have tech. Roots, rocks, more roots, more rocks and, wait a minute...more roots. I only rode 1.5 miles of the 3+ and I couldn't get off fast enough. I couldn't maintain a steady line at all. Ass-kick o'clock.

I am not sure what my current mileage is but, the quality of those miles has been stellar.

MR. evil

Had I known about this I would have made the trip, been to long since I last ride Nass.

Saturday I did a very hard 9 miles at Batchelor street, still getting used to the 1x10 drive train and that place is always good for a but kicking. Sunday I did 35ish miles on the road and tried to get some good climbs in to get ready for a big charity ride I am doing in August . If you asked me after the ride I would have sworn I did well over 2000 feet of climbing....according to starve is was only 1600 :-(

Yesterday I finally got my son back out for his second ride of the year. He did great on 3.3 miles over some rocky terrain. Now I just need to get my daughter back out there!

o3jeff

I'm up to about 15 miles.

Had I known about this I would have made the trip, been to long since I last ride Nass.

Saturday I did a very hard 9 miles at Batchelor street, still getting used to the 1x10 drive train and that place is always good for a but kicking. Sunday I did 35ish miles on the road and tried to get some good climbs in to get ready for a big charity ride I am doing in August . If you asked me after the ride I would have sworn I did well over 2000 feet of climbing....according to starve is was only 1600 :-(

You need to get on Facebook for all the rides. Bvibert is hosting a children ride Sunday if your free. Then again it looks like he broke his bike again tonight.

MR. evil

I would rather miss out than join FaceBook.

I'm up to about 15 miles.

You need to get on Facebook for all the rides. Bvibert is hosting a children ride Sunday if your free. Then again it looks like he broke his bike again tonight.

snoseek

Finally got some riding at willowdale after work today, only 90 minutes but damn after that weekend it was glorious. Off tomorrow and planning some big miles at Bear Brook.