Black Mountain, NH 02/23/14 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    There is wire fence inside the boundaries of the ski area, but it is well into woods that are mostly impassable due to brush/saplings, and as far as I have seen, it's old electric fences for keeping livestock and horses in. Granted you wouldn't want to run into it on skis, but I go in the woods regularly there, and anywhere you can ski, you won't find it. Only actual barbed wire I know of is out of bounds on far skier's left of the ski area and marking the property boundary.

Agree that most of the terrain is pretty benign, but there are some excellent short steep drops and glades that will challenge good skiers. Awesome on a powder day, and you can ski right onto the lifts when there are 20 minute lines in the rest of the valley.

I believe they are scheduled to close this year on 23 March, but I might be wrong about that. Groomed trails still have a ton of snow on them so I believe they could go longer if financially feasible.

Well into the woods, yes, but I woundn't say unskiable lines. I found some off from the lower trails to the skiers right of Mr. Rew glades (which was closed). Also found sap lines. Tread lightly!
    Last edited by JAM614; Feb 28, 2014 at 7:17 AM.

The other Black Mtn's (of ME) glades are much longer, flow better and don't have barbed wire to run into!
    2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10

2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

Quote Originally Posted by xwhaler View Post
    The other Black Mtn's (of ME) glades are much longer, flow better and don't have barbed wire to run into!
    Here's another shot of what I believe is Black and Blue, a steep glade off to the skier's right of LostBo. Pretty cool section of woods but in need of some glade upkeep (whippets) and certainly in need of fresh snow.

As a regular homer of BMOM and glade worker, I full agree Xwhaler. I skied Black (NH) on February 17th for the first time. Great mountain for families. No doubt Black in NH has some short steep drops but from the looks of the rocks, it takes a solid 3-4 foot base to ski some-what cleanly. I'm sure there are some interesting lines off the grid. BMOM glades have just scratched the surface of the potential. More coming for next season...
    Last edited by JAM614; Feb 28, 2014 at 7:19 AM.

Does it really cost that much to get rid of the barbed wire?

They're just raising the bar on the whole "may contain unmarked obstacles" bit.

I have nearly boarded into the barbed wire at Black. It was few years ago so I can't remember the exact location, but I am positive that it was inbounds on a tree line between 2 trails. The picture that Jam614 posted is pretty much how I remember it, except it wasn't really as tucked away behind that wall. Obviously, the amount of snow pack changes how high the wire is. The time I experienced it, it was about boot height. I was cruising through the trees pretty fast on a very skiable line. If I hadn't seen it at the very last second I can't even image how messed up I would have been. It completely blows my mind that this exists.

I agree with you that it's a mountain where most of the trails (with the exception of lostbo) are standard cruisers. However I believe you definitely sold the glades short. Black mountain has what I would consider the hardest glades in New Hampshire. Glades like lostbo glades, black and blue glade, and Carter notch glade. Have a rugged combination of steeps, rocks, and tight trees.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    I have nearly boarded into the barbed wire at Black. It was few years ago so I can't remember the exact location, but I am positive that it was inbounds on a tree line between 2 trails. The picture that Jam614 posted is pretty much how I remember it, except it wasn't really as tucked away behind that wall. Obviously, the amount of snow pack changes how high the wire is. The time I experienced it, it was about boot height. I was cruising through the trees pretty fast on a very skiable line. If I hadn't seen it at the very last second I can't even image how messed up I would have been. It completely blows my mind that this exists.
    Pain is temporary. Dane M. Schulman would set you up nicely with what would be serious gross negligence of the owners. Seriously? How much money do you have to spend to rid your ski area of barbed wire?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Skikarl View Post
    I agree with you that it's a mountain where most of the trails (with the exception of lostbo) are standard cruisers. However I believe you definitely sold the glades short. Black mountain has what I would consider the hardest glades in New Hampshire. Glades like lostbo glades, black and blue glade, and Carter notch glade. Have a rugged combination of steeps, rocks, and tight trees.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Have you skied Kinsman? Black glades are great but I don't think it can compare. If Wildcat put some of their stuff on map it would probably win that discussion

Thread Information