• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black Mountain, NH 02/23/14

Skikarl

Here's another shot of what I believe is Black and Blue, a steep glade off to the skier's right of LostBo. Pretty cool section of woods but in need of some glade upkeep (whippets) and certainly in need of fresh snow.
1609683_10203223095447765_1805850041_n.jpg

As a regular homer of BMOM and glade worker, I full agree Xwhaler. I skied Black (NH) on February 17th for the first time. Great mountain for families. No doubt Black in NH has some short steep drops but from the looks of the rocks, it takes a solid 3-4 foot base to ski some-what cleanly. I'm sure there are some interesting lines off the grid. BMOM glades have just scratched the surface of the potential. More coming for next season...

As a long time lover of black there is only one trail I haven't skied, black and blue. I was wondering how you think it compares to Lostbo glades. I found Lostbo glades challenging but manageable. I am kind of neverous because it looks tight and un skiable. I am pretty sure though what I am looking at is not black and blue.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Well I will be there this Saturday so I will let every one know how things are! Looking at the trail map, I am sure that I have not skied Black and Blue. Then again, it it is a tight glade - I probably have not for sure. Do not think tight glades are much fun. More of a tall pine/hardwoods glade skier.

Skikarl

Well I will be there this Saturday so I will let every one know how things are! Looking at the trail map, I am sure that I have not skied Black and Blue. Then again, it it is a tight glade - I probably have not for sure. Do not think tight glades are much fun. More of a tall pine/hardwoods glade skier.

Yea I agree that tight glades aren't as fun. I am not sure if it is open... When I skied black this Tuesday Lostbo glades were closed however I am not sure about black and blue. Hopefully we will get enough snow tonight for those glades to be opened.

Skikarl

Today I went to black. First (after a warmup run) I went to the summit and skied upper galloping goose and was pleasantly surprised to find that it had a very solid snowpack and was even soft enough to hit a cliff. On the next run I went to ski Lostbo glades and was disappointed to find it was closed. However I spoke to the ski patrol and found out it was ready to be opened it just needed to be given a final run through by the ski patrol. I didn't want to wait so I went up to black and blue glade. Black and blue glade only had two tracks and was filled with great powder. For those of you who haven't skied it, it is harder or just as difficult as the Lostbo glades. I would only recommend it to people who are very proficient at skiing deep powder. Overall it is defiantly a glade worth noting and if you find yourself bored or not feeling challenged you should defiantly give it a try.

- Karl

Last edited: