Gore Mountain 3-4-14

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Camera Gore Mountain 3-4-14

Where? Gore Mountain, North Creek, NY

When? 3-4-14 Mardi Gras! Birthday! (10:15a to 3p)

Conditions: Hardpack, Loose Granular, Packed Powder, Ice.

First time at gore in about 13 years. If I had realized how close it was I wouldn't have waited so long, only 2h50m door to door.

Gotta hand it to Gore for honesty in their condition reports, even though their podcast called the hardpack "beautiful." So, I knew conditions weren't going to be optimal. Still had a great time.

The black trails were certainly challenging. Uncas had the best snow of any of the black trails, Chatiemac was okay if you stuck to the sides, Hullabaloo had a large section that was a frozen waterfall. Topridge was tricky. Rumor and Lies (didn't ski them) were roped off around noon--in the morning, you could hear people skiing on them from the lift. Fairview was short but had nice snow. In retrospect I wish I had tried Open Pit.

The best runs were the blue trails. Quicksilver had the best snow and Twister was FAST.

No accessible bumps to be found and trees were all roped off-probably for good reason. I'm not all that familiar with Gore so I probably missed a lot.

Never a wait for any lift, trails uncrowded, parked close to the lodge. Overall, it was a pretty great day.

Just look at those crowds!
    gore gondola view 3414.jpg

Under the Straight Brook Quad (not open, but looks like it will be nice after snow or warm temps)
    Under Straight Brook Quad 3414.jpg

Straight Brook View from Uncas
    view of straight brook area 3414.jpg

My day at Gore:
    gore trip map 3414.jpg
    Timothy

Catamount 4

2013-14--19
    2012-13--26
    2011-2012--16
    2010-11--30

Glad u enjoyed it !! Uncas and Twister are 2 of my real favs , Did u get to do the High Peaks section ,that is interesting too But the Top ridge area is special
    Surround yourself with Positivity , Live Life , Collect Friends not Stuff and Avoid Negative Nuts

Hit it right after it snows, paradise, trees galore, glad you enjoyed it. I've got two vouchers to use yet, hopefully I can get lucky.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Nice report!!! I love Gore! The layout is quirky but that's why it skis so well. Great terrain, trees, etc and with the lift upgrades in the last decade it's hard to beat when the snow is good! Fondly remember the long rides up the old gongala, man was that thing high!!
    "If you ride your bike everyday...... Your going to be a better rider!"

I just got back to PA after skiing at Gore Monday and Tuesday for the first time. What a blast I had. Both days were pretty cold, but at least there wasn't wind to deal with.
    Cloud and Twister were great both days. Sagamore and Echo were great Monday while Upper Steilhang, Hawkeye, and Quicksilver were great Tuesday. Burnt Ridge Mountain had a ton of ice Tuesday. This side of the mountain provided great scenery and no one seemed to make their way over here.

The crowds were non-existent both days. We stayed at the Copperfield Inn, which was okay. There were only two choices for places to eat and the town seemed to shut down on Mondays.

066.jpg
    027.jpg
    042.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Warp Daddy View Post
    Glad u enjoyed it !! Uncas and Twister are 2 of my real favs , Did u get to do the High Peaks section ,that is interesting too But the Top ridge area is special
    Yep I did Hullabaloo to Wood Lot North to Woodchuck. Definitely a fun little part of the mountain and I love the old double chairlift.

Quote Originally Posted by jgh1980 View Post
    I just got back to PA after skiing at Gore Monday and Tuesday for the first time. What a blast I had. Both days were pretty cold, but at least there wasn't wind to deal with.
    Cloud and Twister were great both days. Sagamore and Echo were great Monday while Upper Steilhang, Hawkeye, and Quicksilver were great Tuesday. Burnt Ridge Mountain had a ton of ice Tuesday. This side of the mountain provided great scenery and no one seemed to make their way over here.

The crowds were non-existent both days. We stayed at the Copperfield Inn, which was okay. There were only two choices for places to eat and the town seemed to shut down on Mondays.
    I kept trying to figure out how to get over Burnt Ridge, but never figured it out. I even asked directions but kept missing the turn. Next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    Hit it right after it snows, paradise, trees galore, glad you enjoyed it. I've got two vouchers to use yet, hopefully I can get lucky.

Apparently they got 5" today which should have made things really nice. Not sure if I can make it up again this year as I have vouchers and discount tickets for other areas to use. Would love to do some spring skiing there. Do they stay open into mid-April?
    Timothy

Catamount 4

2013-14--19
    2012-13--26
    2011-2012--16
    2010-11--30

Thanks for this report. Headed to Gore this weekend for the first time!

Quote Originally Posted by emmaurice2 View Post
    I kept trying to figure out how to get over Burnt Ridge, but never figured it out. I even asked directions but kept missing the turn. Next time!
    It's a bit of a schlep from the base area, there's a narrow trail past the base of the Adirondack Express, it the widens, but is pretty flat. The chair is probably a good 1/4 mile from the base. You can ski Twister Glade and exit onto Echo, that gets you closer. Going to and from the North Creek Ski Bowl from the main area is quite the trek.

Leave no turn unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    It's a bit of a schlep from the base area, there's a narrow trail past the base of the Adirondack Express, it the widens, but is pretty flat. The chair is probably a good 1/4 mile from the base. You can ski Twister Glade and exit onto Echo, that gets you closer. Going to and from the North Creek Ski Bowl from the main area is quite the trek.

Ah, I kept looking for a way over there from the top rather than the base area. Next time! Thanks
    Timothy

Catamount 4

2013-14--19
    2012-13--26
    2011-2012--16
    2010-11--30

Thread Information