Burke, Jay, & Owl's Head March 5-7

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Burke, Jay, & Owl's Head March 5-7

Burke skied nicely, Jay skied better. Owl's Head, let's just say busy and ice.
    The full trip report with plenty of pics at my blog http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2...-northern.html Not only ski report but more tales of -20 nights at the Subaru Inn.

Subaru Inn. You are hardcore my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    Subaru Inn. You are hardcore my friend.
    Well why should we waste our time with softcore when we can be hardcore. I can't afford the luxury ski experience so I'm all about the ski bum experience. Its the only way I can afford to ski. On my two three day ski trips this season I ate ten peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as well.

Great report. The conditions at Burke on Saturday were still the same as what you had. Burke needs 8 inches to really get things into shape. Hopefully this week's storm produces setting us up for a good spring. I love you your high zoom pictures of Burke from Owls Head and Jay.

Awesome. Heading up to Jay March 20-23. Hoping for a good dumping early next week!

next time replace Owls Head with Sutton!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Wave Dave View Post
    next time replace Owls Head with Sutton!
    +1. The only thing Owl's Head has over Sutton is the view. Sutton wins handily in all categories that really count (snow, crowds and glades)

I had Owls Head on my Fox 44 card so that was why I chose it. I imagine all those Eastern Township areas were probably busy that week. I wouldn't mind checking out Sutton, Bromont, or Orford in that region.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I had Owls Head on my Fox 44 card so that was why I chose it. I imagine all those Eastern Township areas were probably busy that week. I wouldn't mind checking out Sutton, Bromont, or Orford in that region.
    Natural Snow from least to most: Bromont - Orford/Owl's Head - Sutton
    Crowds from most to least: Bromont - Orford/Owl's Head - Sutton
    Grooming from most to least: Bromont (by miles) - Orford/Owl's Head - Sutton
    Glades from least to most: Bromont - Owl's head - Orford - Sutton

Conclusions, if you like smaller crowds, most natural snow, little grooming and lots of glades, Sutton wins hand down. They have old fixed grip chairs however.

If you like crowds but outstanding grooming (most trails are groomed 3 times per day) Bromont is your choice.

I regret not skiing Sutton, Orford, or Owl's Head having grown up and lived in Vermont. They were so damn close. The border was just enough of a deterrent.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information