• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What new places have you skied this year?

wa-loaf

So far I've added a couple smaller places I just had never gotten to. Partly because of the kids I'm going closer to home some.

New for me this year so far are:
Pats
Sunapee
Gunstock

Still to get to are
Magic (Saturday if things play out right)
Jay Peak (I've just never managed to get up there)

Tin

New places were Sugarloaf (new favorite), Whaleback (really liked), and Mt. Ellen (thought is was over rated). Adding Magic to that list on Thursday.

drjeff

Crotched, NH
Solitude, UT.

I re-hit Haystack (I'm not sure if you could call it new since the trails are still the same) for the 1st time in 10 years and just re-hit Willard Mtn, NY about 30 min Northeast of Albany, NY this past Sunday for the 1st time in 20 years thanks to my daughter having a race there.

While not exactly "new" to me, those last 2 sure did feel like it :)

Last edited:

4aprice

Attitash and the historic Mount Cranmore just last weekend. Absolutely loved the Miester Hut on top of Cranmore. Old, quaint, decent food (Bread Bowl Chowdah-yum) and the historic pictures all over the place. Somewhat surprised that Cranmore itself didn't have a Skimobile lying around (like the one at the NE Ski Museum at Cannon) but they had great photos of it.

On a side note, also got to the famous Red Parka Pub in Bartlett. Love the old wooden Tyrol trail map they have mounted up in the bar.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Smellytele

Nothing new in the East for me. I really don't have many that I haven't hit in NH (Granite Gorge and MacIntyre) and VT (Cochrans). Have a lot in Maine I haven't been to. Mass/CT I have not much interest in. I have only been to 3 in NY(WF, Titus and Gore) but out of all the others only Platty piques my interest.

West - A-basin, Wolf Creek, Purgatory and Taos.

JDMRoma

This year was my first time to Cannon......Must like it....keep going back for more !

jaytrem

I always try to hit 10 new each year. It looks like Big Sky sabotaged my plans this year by buying Moonlight. So far I have...

Bridger
Big Sky
Showdown
Teton Pass
Bear Paw
Great Divide

Depending on how you count I guess I could also add Moonlight and Spanish Peaks.

The rest of the plan is Hickory, Brian Head and Eagle Point.

xwhaler

Black Mtn of ME---awesome powder the day before the AZ Summitt, great glades, unbeatable value $15, nice friendly community atmosphere and 100% open. Will likely make this an annual stop en route to the Summitt.)

Dartmouth Skiway. Beautiful lodge, only the Winslow side was open when we were there late December. Holts looked very fun but I likely would not return until I could sample Holts.

C-Rex

I can't believe I never went to Magic before this year. I've been lucky to have 2 powder days there, and I'm hoping Thursday will be number 3.

RustyGroomer

It sounds like we have sort of a plan in the "Magic question" thread, but if any 1st timers want a tour, let me know. I'll be there Thursday night starting my skiing Friday morning right through Sunday.

Smellytele

My CO trip fell through, was going to hit Purgatory, Wolf Creek, Silverton, and maybe Crested Butte. Next year ..

I had a lot of fun at Wolf Creek. While Purgatory was more like an east coast ski area. No above treeline/bowls. Had fun in the trees but probably wouldn't go back.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
So far, it's been Platty and Smuggs in the East, and then my first trip out West, A-Basin, Copper, Vail, Breck, and Loveland.

Still to come, MRG, Stowe, and maybe Middlebury Snow Bowl.

ceo

Shawnee Peak. Nice place. (Well, I'd been there before, but it was over 35 years ago and it was still called Pleasant Mountain.)

j law

I think I'll be hitting Gore for the first time on Thursday.

Also got to hit Brighton out in Utah (very under rated mountain). It pales in comparison to Alta and Snowbird but has some great terrain and sick side country.