• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gore 3/13/14

Cornhead

Date(s) Skied: 3/13/14

Resort or Ski Area: Gore Mountain, Daks

Conditions: 20" of March goodness

Trip Report:

I had to scratch and claw to get Thursday and Friday off to take advantage of this late season storm, and burn up some vouchers. I was regretting my decision to milk one more season out of my Blizzaks. I've driven on some pretty crappy roads this year with no issues, Subaru + worn snows = still pretty good. This storm, with it's mix of ice and snow, had me concerned. I was dreading driving to ski country through the teeth of a Vulcan. I checked the forecast for my local hill, Greek Peak, 6-10" were forecast. I decided to stick close to home for the first day of my mini vacation, and allow travel conditions to improve. I called Greek's snow line in the morning and was disappointed to learn they got only 3". Plan B, burn my Gore voucher for an afternoon of sloppy seconds pow. I left Binghamton at 8, I was on the gondola at 12:30. Everything skied fantastically. One trail, Fairview, was stripped by the wind, leaving a narrow bands of snow on the edges of the trail skiable. Just weird to be skiing powder filled trails and coming across one that is mostly bare ice. I wish I were able to be here at opening, it must have been awesome, it was pretty damn good in the afternoon. I crammed as much skiing as I could into 3 1/2 hrs. I wondered why they don't extend the hours after daylight savings, seems silly to close at 4 when it's now light until 7.
uploadfromtaptalk1394792611703.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394792637405.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394792674476.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394792692712.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394792713962.jpg

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Abominable

Looks great, those are some solid drops under the lift. Thanks for the report!

Cornhead

Nice report. Enjoy your mini vacay.

Thanks, I am, and will. Jay is a bit of a shitshow today, Jet triple is down, Canadian holiday week, guess they travel from Ontario. Conditions are outstanding!

Yes, Abominable there were tracks on things you don't normally see them on, "Gorebits Couloir" even had tracks on it, I tried to get one more ride in the double to snap some pics, but I was a couple minutes late.

Last edited:

twinplanx

How is Gore skiing today? I bailed on a day trip there today after seeing the forecasted wind chill...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

Cornhead

Did you get to ski under the Topridge? Awesome lines.

No, I passed, but was tempted, probably about as good as it gets condition wise. The trail under the High Peaks double was in great shape too, looks like a giant staircase from the lift.

I'm going to work on getting in better shape this off season for next year, and work on skiing more challenging terrain. I'm a bit of a blob this year, got up to 250lbs, was down to 215lbs a couple years ago. My knees really felt the extra weight this year. My goal is to get below 200lb, I'd be a lot more comfortable hopping around at that weight. I am pretty fit for a fatty, World's fittest fat man?:D I managed a full day at Burke yesterday, and the snow was HEAVY in the afternoon, lots of work to ski, had a blast, bumps were awesome, nice soft Spring bumps.

Warp Daddy

My son , grandson who is on spring break, and i will be at Gore /West. Tues ,wed and thursday this coming week,one of our semi annual 3 generation ski excursions ! lots of GORE love in this family 8)