• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bretton Woods?

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
My preference is mountains like Sugarloaf and Jay Peak. I enjoy challenging terrain and am enjoy the woods when there is coverage. That being said is Bretton Woods worth the trip or would I get bored quickly. Is there enough glades to entertain.

wa-loaf

Some friends are there today and posting some nice pow pictures on facebook.

yeggous

There will be plenty of fun in the ungroomed, but lift lines are out of control this year.

mriceyman

my buddy has been there a couple times and he liked the woods enough to go back

canobie#1

The glades are pretty good. Everything else is....meh
Not steep at all. If your looking for a good challenge go to wildcat or cannon.

abc

I like Bretton Woods enough I go back every chance I'm up north.

I don't care so much of their groomers. I just don't think they groom all that well anyway, lack of steepness notwithstanding (not that I crave for steep or speed though).

But the woods are what go for. It's probably not all that challenging for the truly good skiers. But for me, it ranges from mellow to "interesting" to "exciting", which is perfect!

I've been there during holiday period, liftline was only an issue at the bottom during the morning (and after lunch) rush hour. Away from those lifts, line were non-existent.

JDMRoma

The Glades off of West Mountain, Maple Woods, John Graves glades,Boundryline glades and Cliffs Cliff will be good….take a look at the trail map they are marked Double Blacks and they will have some pitch but not Cannon type steep !!
There's a couple on the Rosebrook side and then take a right off the Zypher there is Glade West thats pretty decent too.
You should have plenty to keep you occupied…..if you want steep……Cannon is it.

I skied BW today…..lines were only bad at the base lifts from 10:30 till noon, after that they were quite manageable.
The Stickney glade area T bar was dead the whole time I was over there today…..

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
Thanks for all the info. I have skied Cannon, Wildcat, and Attitash in Northern NH. I am always interested in trying new ski areas and never been to Bretton. Thought I might give it a try for $17 on Monday especially with the new snow. I'm guessing the glades will have plenty of coverage even if they are tracked up pretty good. For $17 I figure I'll get my moneys worth.

abc

I plan to be there too. Or rather, hope to make it sometime tomorrow.

Not sure what time though. My car had started having some loud noise from underneath just as I was on my way there. So I have to have it looked at first thing tomorrow morning. Hoping it's something minor that they can tie/glue/weld back on together quickly, I might still make it there with good time.

It's suppose to be wicked cold so hopefully it'll be a bit warmer later part of the day (if I make it)

dlague

We often kid around about the trails at Bretton Woods. You make two turns - one to get on the lift and one to get off the lift. In all fairness, there groomers are wide and you can get some really good speed without worrying about other skiers or boarders. There are also some areas that can be interesting but they are quick and short and can have long runouts. The glades that are most interesting are to skiers right (Rosebrook Glades). I do not think that there is anything really challenging from what I have skied, but we ski there with a chill attitude. for the most part, the glades can be skied faster and are more playful than the more serious glades at other resorts.

BTW, we skied there yesterday and the runs were fast, the woods were hard but skiable. It must have been busy Saturday, because I did not see any untracked anywhere.