• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow AZ Southern Outing 2/16

reefer

10:00?

Although I can not condone being left at the clock tower for (15) minutes, and I was a little put out, I understand the dilema we were all facing Friday morning. I've never seen the wind that bad! The lodge was very depressing at 8:30. We all have limited ski days, Magic was a sure thing. I've seen the video - very nice - Magic being Magic. I will make a belated post with pics, mostly to clear up some of the false statements and questions about Mt. Snow Friday - "and why anyone would have wanted to stay there".
Keith.

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Although I can not condone being left at the clock tower for (15) minutes, and I was a little put out, I understand the dilema we were all facing Friday morning. I've never seen the wind that bad! The lodge was very depressing at 8:30. We all have limited ski days, Magic was a sure thing. I've seen the video - very nice - Magic being Magic. I will make a belated post with pics, mostly to clear up some of the false statements and questions about Mt. Snow Friday - "and why anyone would have wanted to stay there".
Keith.

Here's my take on it. Brian and I traveled over 2 and half hours to Mount Snow. When learning of the windhold, we could either (1) wait it out and ski Carinthia/Ego until 10 am (we didn't drive 2:30+ for that) or (2) make an immediate decision to jump in the car and head to Magic and maximize the day. We saw JimG. by the lift ticket window and he didn't hesitate. You can ask Brian. I was checking voicemails and trying to contact Dave most of the ride up there - cell coverage is not that great on Route 100. I finally got in touch with Dave shortly after 10 am and he was waiting at the lift ticket window side of the clock tower. He had left for Vermont before reading of the contingency plan to meet trailside at the clocktower if there was a wind hold at 10 am. I believe he was there at 10:15.

I'm sorry you felt put out Keith. I was looking forward to having you show the group around. But if the positions had been reversed, I would have been totally cool with it if others decided to go elsewhere to get as much of the preferred type of skiing in as possible. I don't ski as much as some here - I might pull off 30 days which is huge for me, but nevertheless, I strive to make each one count. Dave organized this gathering and he stuck around and tried to meet with whoever decided to stay at Snow. If I had organized this trip, I would have done the same. The wind hold just sucked, bottom line...

bvibert

Staff member
Keith.

Allskiing was there, you guys must have missed each other. Maybe next time we need a more definitive meeting place?

EDIT: Well said Greg.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
The main problem was a combination of a few things....
1) One of the largest storms to hit in years opened up peoples favorite powder spots for the first time this year.
2) The high winds shut down the best terrain Mt Snow has.
3) The orginal meeting place changed due to the winds which made me a bit late to the slope side of the clock tower.

Most AZ trips work out real well...don't let this one stop anyone from doing it again.

reefer

Just bustin'

Here's my take on it. Brian and I traveled over 2 and half hours to Mount Snow. When learning of the windhold, we could either (1) wait it out and ski Carinthia/Ego until 10 am (we didn't drive 2:30+ for that) or (2) make an immediate decision to jump in the car and head to Magic and maximize the day. We saw JimG. by the lift ticket window and he didn't hesitate. You can ask Brian. I was checking voicemails and trying to contact Dave most of the ride up there - cell coverage is not that great on Route 100. I finally got in touch with Dave shortly after 10 am and he was waiting at the lift ticket window side of the clock tower. He had left for Vermont before reading of the contingency plan to meet trailside at the clocktower if there was a wind hold at 10 am. I believe he was there at 10:15.

I'm sorry you felt put out Keith. I was looking forward to having you show the group around. But if the positions had been reversed, I would have been totally cool with it if others decided to go elsewhere to get as much of the preferred type of skiing in as possible. I don't ski as much as some here - I might pull off 30 days which is huge for me, but nevertheless, I strive to make each one count. Dave organized this gathering and he stuck around and tried to meet with whoever decided to stay at Snow. If I had organized this trip, I would have done the same. The wind hold just sucked, bottom line...

I understand totally. I'm a 25-30 dayer myself. Everything worked out great. I just couldn't let you guys off the hook that easy. I have no hard feelings and I've made the same decisions like this before. I sort of knew deep down that's where you guys were. It's all good. I'd really would love to ski with you guys someday so keep me posted. Your camera work should be commended (and the tunes). No worries otherwise. See you soon. Keith.

Greg

Staff member
I understand totally. I'm a 25-30 dayer myself. Everything worked out great. I just couldn't let you guys off the hook that easy. I have no hard feelings and I've made the same decisions like this before. I sort of knew deep down that's where you guys were. It's all good. I'd really would love to ski with you guys someday so keep me posted. Your camera work should be commended (and the tunes). No worries otherwise. See you soon. Keith.

Trust me. I was just as disappointed that the group couldn't meet up as a whole. Once we got skiing though, all good. Thanks for the kind words on the video. No real magic (pun intended... ;) ) there. I had good skiers to work with. I can bang out a vid like that now in 2 hours of editing time. Nothing fancy, but less is more IMO.

Come to Beast on Friday!