• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow AZ Southern Outing 2/16

2knees

chris sorry for the loss. bummer.

as far as the beast, its pretty close to mt snow. if you take 100s off of rt 9, then take 112 south off of 100s it puts you right out in rt 2 in mass. shouldnt take more then 45 minutes or so.

Greg

Staff member
should I ski Snow again on Monday or try to hit something like BEast on the way home?
Berkshire East is a great hill with natural snow so I would say yes, give it a try. They have just about everything open, but the good stuff (natural trails) will be all skied out and probably moguled by Monday. Monday will likely see smaller crowds at Beast than at Snow. Great, old school hill. Give it a try.

2knees

I'll dip into some of the low angle trees tomorrow.

Outside of the plunge, which i've never skied, they're all low angle really. The trials on the north face is huge, but its all the way over on skiers left where the pitch is much more mellow. I've hit that, epiphany and some of the smaller ones on the main face. you'll have a blast.

Greg

Staff member
Anyone know what the roads are like up there? I was planning to go Route 2 --> 112 --> 100 up through Mass, but if that's still in rough shape, perhaps taking Route 9 over from Brattleboro is better?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'll dip into some of the low angle trees tomorrow. I plan to hit TNF first thing and grab a few natural snow runs there before the meet-up. I haven't been on trails like Plummet, PDF, Jaws of Death in 10+ years. Would like to lap Beartrap 2 or 3 times. Never done Ripcord so I gotta hit that too. I'm gonna back pack it and take my lunch with me I think. Gonna be a 9-4 day for sure. Doubt I'm gonna want to stop.

Bite your tongue! But yeah - probably a good idea...

Having skied all the glades at snow - everything but the plunge is what I'd consider low angle. And the plunge is all of 300 feet long. If I can ski em, you certainly can.

Epiphany is a fun one.

Greg

Staff member
Final Roll Call

We should do a final roll-call. The meetup is at the summit lodge at 10 am. At the clock tower (trailside) if lifts are on hold. Brian and I will be there.

reefer

Yahoo!!!! The boyz get a powder day. You won't beleive it!
Driving - take 2, 112, 100. Was fine, even in a raging blizzard last night. They do a great job plowing through there. I never go the long way..............
All trees are mellow except for the Plunge, which I have never done either.
I'm in tomorrow - Summit Lodge, 10:00. No more talk of this wind hold crap tomorrow.........

JimG.

Staff member
12:58 pm trail report still shows the summit lifts on wind hold:

http://www.mountsnow.com/trailliftreport.html

Lucky powder day for us tomorrow!
:snow: :spread: :daffy: :snow:

Had a feeling that the wind was going to be my ally today...keep those lifts shut down until tomorrow! Then stop the wind so they open at 8:30am.

So much for all the naysayers who keep telling me it'll all be tracked out by tomorrow.

bvibert

Staff member
Had a feeling that the wind was going to be my ally today...keep those lifts shut down until tomorrow! Then stop the wind so they open at 8:30am.

So much for all the naysayers who keep telling me it'll all be tracked out by tomorrow.

Looks like the only people getting up there today are 'earning' their turns...

It's the stopping the wind for tomorrow morning that I'm worried about. Anyone up for a little hiking?

Greg

Staff member
Pat and I are discussing this backchannel. How's this for a wind hold contingency:

Berkshire East or Magic?

JimG.

Staff member
Pat and I are discussing this backchannel. How's this for a wind hold contingency:

Berkshire East or Magic?

I'd rather we make a plan and stick to it. I'm mentally set for Mt. Snow at this point. That's where I'm going.

The other 2 are a longer drive for me and I'm not willing at this point in time to change my plans. And how would you be able to make the change until tomorrow morning anyway? And since that is the case, are you going to scrap plans and go somewhere else and hope you can contact folks at 5:30-6am?

To much chaos IMO.

Greg

Staff member
I'd rather we make a plan and stick to it. I'm mentally set for Mt. Snow at this point. That's where I'm going.

The other 2 are a longer drive for me and I'm not willing at this point in time to change my plans. And how would you be able to make the change until tomorrow morning anyway? And since that is the case, are you going to scrap plans and go somewhere else and hope you can contact folks at 5:30-6am?

To much chaos IMO.

No no no. You don't understand. I'm going to Mount Snow tomorrow. If, upon arrival, we discover the lifts are on hold, I have no problem jumping back into the car and heading to one of the aforementioned ski areas. Perhaps we can decide on one after we meet at the clock tower (trail-side and provided lifts are on wind hold). I would rather do that than sit around and hope they spin the lifts.

JimG.

Staff member
No no no. You don't understand. I'm going to Mount Snow tomorrow. If, upon arrival, we discover the lifts are on hold, I have no problem jumping back into the car and heading to one of the aforementioned ski areas. Perhaps we can decide on one after we meet at the clock tower (trail-side and provided lifts are on wind hold). I would rather do that than sit around and hope they spin the lifts.

Oh...well...you didn't say that!

Makes sense to me.

bvibert

Staff member
Current list:

Definite
  1. ALLSKIING
  2. Greg
  3. bvibert
  4. 2Knees
  5. Marc
  6. jct
  7. Jim G
  8. Roark
  9. reefer

Maybe
  1. Zook
  2. Hawkshot99
  3. madskier6

So far we have confirmed:
  1. ALLSKIING
  2. Greg
  3. bvibert
  4. 2Knees
  5. Marc
  6. Jim G
  7. reefer

Dave hasn't responded today, but I assume that's because he's up there today so I left him on. What about jct and Roark are you guys going to make it? Zook, Hawkshot99, and madskier6 are on the maybe list are any of you going to make it? Anyone else??

Greg

Staff member
So far we have confirmed:
  1. ALLSKIING
  2. Greg
  3. bvibert
  4. 2Knees
  5. Marc
  6. Jim G
  7. reefer
The cool thing is everyone on this list has the skills to all ski together regardless of the terrain.

I think madskier6 is going to Magic.