• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Closings 2014

steamboat1

Driving up to K with a friend later this afternoon on the assumption tomorrow will be the last day of skiing. Whatever it is it is. Ticket price doesn't matter to us since we both have passes. I just hope it's good tailgating weather.

steamboat1

looks like the end for k town. did they not make as much snow this year on superstar or was it the heat wave we had this week and last?

They didn't make as much snow. The snowmaking budget was blown early due to all the resurfacing they had to do with the January thaw & the several rain freeze cycles we had this year. In previous years they made a snowmaking push in March. That didn't happen this year.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
looks like the end for k town. did they not make as much snow this year on superstar or was it the heat wave we had this week and last?

I didn't ski at K last year, but I know that MSS didn't make as much as last year.

I have an impression that K was gunning for June 1 last year. I skied at K on April 29 and I wrote (not published yet - still need to choose the pics) on my TR that they didn't have as much snow as in the good old days of June skiing and I would be very surprise if they would make in to June. That was 3 weeks ago before the heatwave.

Last year's heat wave hit on the week before they closed. MSS was thinking of going pass May 19 last season, but they lost a lot of snow in that year.

Here is what MSS looked like last May 19 : http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/mt-st-sauveur-qc-may-19-2013-encore-there-is-still-skiing/

steamboat1

It's official.

Conditions

Saturday, May 17, 2014

2:56 pm 05/17/14--"We're down to just Superstar trail folks and it looks like Sunday, May 18, 2014 will be day 199 on snow and the last of the 2013/14 season."

Bostonian

It's official.

Conditions

Saturday, May 17, 2014

2:56 pm 05/17/14--"We're down to just Superstar trail folks and it looks like Sunday, May 18, 2014 will be day 199 on snow and the last of the 2013/14 season."

And... as according to my 3:16pm email:

"Greetings, Drifters!

What’s that, the fat lady? She may be singing in our honor, but nonetheless, she has spoken. It looks like Sunday, May 18, 2014 will be day 199 on snow and the last of the 2013/14 season.
Come get your final turns in as we wrap up the longest season in the East, but be aware, skiing and riding is for experts only. Late season conditions exist and walking is required, learn more.
Winter Is Coming Back…"

It's over for K..

skiNEwhere

Just read that on their facebook page as well. Sucks they are calling it one day short of 200

fbrissette

Officially ended my season today. Had to earn my turns up at Jay, but there is plenty good snow left.

Attachments

• DSCN0549.jpg
    DSCN0549.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 79

Cannonball

When does this season officially end and the next one start? If you earn turns in July is that this season or next? I'll be in skiing Chile in August. Which season is that?

abc

When does this season officially end and the next one start? If you earn turns in July is that this season or next? I'll be in skiing Chile in August. Which season is that?
I call that THIS season!

But that's just me. I always think of winter as Jan-March, though can be stretch as late as one wishes. Nov/December are mostly WROD and doesn't count in my book. (sure, resorts make their money in December. But for me, if trees aren't open, it's not REAL skiing. How often that happens before the New Year?)

slatham

I think the best definition is "The ski season extends from the first skiable snowfall (snowmaking) to the last skiable snow". So July is last season.

Chile is neither as its a different season altogether.....

Just my opinion.

Cornhead

I'll be in skiing Chile in August. Which season is that?
Lucky bastard! Have fun, it was about 75° and muggy as Hell the day I returned from CO, I was missing the 14° I left behind immediately.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I didn't update Ski Mad World's blog on the Eastern Closing Thread. I've been busy plus I'm waiting to see if it is really the end of liftserve in the East. MSS was suppose to close the previous weekend, but extended for an extra weekend. Some people mentioned that it wasn't impossible for them to spin again this coming weekend, but if the forecast is iffy (regardless of the amount of snow left), they won't.

As it stands, K stopped on Sunday May 18 and MSS stopped on Monday May 19, Victoria Day.

I think the best definition is "The ski season extends from the first skiable snowfall (snowmaking) to the last skiable snow". So July is last season.

Chile is neither as its a different season altogether.....

Just my opinion.

Agree. If you are skiing in the Northern Hemisphere, the ski season would be from October to September, however I've skied fresh snow in August before (Alps and Mt Hood). Timberline's Summer season ends on Labor weekend.

The Summer could be fit in any seasons like the Southern Hemisphere one as it is often in preparation for the next season.

For the record, for my personal stats, my season are from first tracks in October (WROD or fresh snow) to September.

steamboat1

[h=2]2014 Summer Ski & Ride Season - June 6-8, June 13-15, & June 20-22, 2014[/h] [h=3]Further extensions dependent on conditions[/h] A-Basin has received over 440" of snow during the 2013-14 season, so we're staying open! Stay tuned to this page for details about ticket prices, skier services, and... possible further extensions!
[h=3]A-Basin will be CLOSED Monday through Thursday starting June 2. The mountain will REOPEN for skiing and riding on the following Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays: June 6-8, June 13-15 & June 20-22, 2014 from 8:30 am - 2:30 pm.[/h]

skiNEwhere

A-basin just called it. They'll be open June 20-22 and that will be the end of the season

At least I'll get to say I've skied in the summer

241 days of being open is not too shabby

Last edited: