• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington, wed 3/19/14

Wavewheeler

Killington
Wed, March 19
Powder, packed powder
Overcast, windy

I waited a week after the big storm and was rewarded with great conditions. Nicely groomed trails (for those of us who like them), powder/packed powder.

We were on the slopes and riding the K1 Gondola by 9:20 am. The day started out sunny and breezy but it soon clouded over and as the day progressed it got windier and warmer. Out first run of the day took us down Great Northern to Snowdon. Everything was in great shape. Powder/packed powder in abundance. Took some runs down Mousetrap and then Chute and up the ever-so-slow Snowdon Quad with a run down Bunny Buster to Mousetrap and then down to the gondola.

We took the gondola back up and rode to the Canyon area and ran down Eastfall. I ran Cascade a few times and it was in excellent shape. Nice, firmly packed powder. We ran up and down the Canyons until lunch and had a really nice meal up at the new Peak Lodge. The view was amazing but the winds were picking up so we made our way down to Superstar.

Superstar is literally twice the height it was back in January when I last ran it. Top of the headwall was a bit icy but as I made my way down it was beautiful. Powder was being blown by the wind onto the left side and I rode that all the way down numerous times.

I rode with my daughter several times down Skylark, which was in wonderful shape. The lower black section was in great shape and I basically went back and forth all afternoon between Skylark and Superstar and stuck to riding up the Superstar Quad. By afternoon the winds were fierce on top of the K1 and Skye Peak but weren't bad lower down the mountain.

At 3pm my daughter and I headed down to the K1 Gondola and took it up to Great Northern and took the Highline trail (which had finally opened up) but figured Eastfall was better so we spent the last hour running down Eastfall and rode the Gondola until it closed.

An awesome day with great conditions. As I am writing this it is snowing and has been snowing steadily since 4pm. Around 4" of snow is expected so we are both seriously stoked about running Skye and Bear tomorrow. Wish we could do another day after that!

Almost every trail was open with lots of groomed and bumps and some trees too. When it got windy things got pretty windblown up top but there was still lots of good powder to be found. Temps hovered around freezing all day and it remained overcast throughout the day, Yes, it was windy but fortunately the snow stayed soft and the temps weren't bad so it was bearable.

Wish I had pics but am on my laptop so will download them on Friday when I get back home. Can't wait 'til tomorrow. So glad I made the decision to spend the extra time and money to come up here. There is an unsually large number of people both in our hotel and on the slopes for midweek. I'm guessing it's due to a lot of kids being off for spring break or just people taking advantage of the great conditions. I'm just glad to be one of them. :)

steamboat1

Glad you're enjoying yourself...:beer:

Last week there were a few more people around than usual also, wasn't crowded at all though. Was told it was because of school break in Ontario. I'm not aware of any school breaks this week but what do I know.

Wavewheeler

Outstanding. We will be there Fri morning! Hopefully today will be an all snow event without any rain that tonight's cold could lock up.

It's Friday morning. Come on up! Lots of fresh! :snow: It snowed all night Wed, most of Thursday and Thursday night too! Flurries this morning (Friday) and it's windy but wonderful. It's heavy snow because it's close to freezing but mostly SNOW. We didn't get any rain and only a bit of sleet and 95% snow!

Unfortunately it's time for us to head back to NJ. :sadwalk: but with MORE snow predicted for the weekend the winter carnival continues. :thumbup:

Have fun for me folks. Pics from Wed will be up later when I get back to my main computer.

Wavewheeler

Pics from this past wed. The last 3 are from Superstar. Check out the mound of snow on top of the headwall!

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg