• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My new skis

mishka

Saw them in person Sunday and I must agree. I was amazed how light they were for the width.

from several 110s I made Tin's skis is heaviest also they are noticeably stiffer and torsationly stiffer compared to others because of new/different core construction. Tip/tale lighter to lower swing weight

mishka

thank you

This pair looks real sharp. Graphics looks almost 3 dimensional. Unfortunately it didn't come out that well in the picture above. Top looks so good so I pulled the binding off skis made last year with some mileage on them refinish and now skis looks like new again

snoseek

New ski design for next year has begun. Meet the "dozer" 117 coming to a hill not so near you

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

mishka

yup.... Time to start thinking 16/17 season. Full custom this time including skis "model" name :lol:

mishka

New ski design for next year has begun. Meet the "dozer" 117 coming to a hill not so near you

Facebook format not as convenient for long discussion. I want to keep entire discussion in one place for better references later and maybe somebody find it interesting.

Let's do one pair at a time.
Dozer117
you need to decide if you want ski stiffer. Not a race like stiff but slightly stiffer. This year build skis are different in core construction and core profile. Because of that Tin's skis stiffer. In time we will test both 110 skis side-by-side and I let you know.

camber
from now on camber is available as an option. Yours 110 is zero camber. Do you went to keep 117 same way? 3 options: camber; zero camber; reverse camber

Tips, tip rocker

overall tips will have same shape maybe slightly less pointy. Rocker as you ask will be made longer instead of 350 mm 450 and slightly taller tip 20 – 25 mm with same low-profile continuous curvature like you have on yours 110s.

Tales, tail rocker
I think the best if we leave tales unchanged. however if you feel tales need to be changed let me know.

Graphics
we discuss it a little bit with couple examples. you need to look around. Everywhere inventory changing all the time we need to find what you like and put aside.

Pictures of preliminary designs will be Facebook

In a few days I'll post same thoughts on dozer102

snoseek

Thinking of the 117 as a powder specific ski that will get me to last chair un the choppy stuff

Zero camber is probably perfect. Little more rise in both the tip and tail.

Still need to determine the stiffness but the 110 seems about the right flex

mishka

make sure I understand you correctly.
tip tale only taller or taller with longer rocker.
As of right now tip rocker will be about 15 inches. Longer taller the tale rocker would make tail about same size as 110 tips

because change in construction of tips and tales they are lighter and stiffer now when ski flex normally. However if flexed only running length stiffness somewhat similar

snoseek

I trust your judgment here. The fb design you posted looked damn near perfect for what i want

snoseek

Quick question. Moving forward would you suggest i just mount these with helicoils or inserts right off the bat. It would make sense to me.

prsboogie

I would definitely mount with inserts, quiver killers have kits made up for whatever binding your running. One binding goes a long way!!

mishka

I trust your judgment here. The fb design you posted looked damn near perfect for what i want

thank you
is that picture hard to see rocker profile (barely visible white line to the left of the ski)
we let the design "coke" for little late like I would like to e-mail you folded tile presentation in PDF and full-size printout you can look at

snoseek

I would definitely mount with inserts, quiver killers have kits made up for whatever binding your running. One binding goes a long way!!
Would that work for a touring binding like say a guardian?

mishka

Quick question. Moving forward would you suggest i just mount these with helicoils or inserts right off the bat. It would make sense to me.

I was going to mention but you brought it up. before starting to make skis I HAVE to know what binding you going to install and screws pattern .

hellicoil or inserts leave huge holes if you need preposition binding.
My personal preferences demo binding like marker griffon which if installed certain way give you 20 to 30 mm travel in each direction. This help to dialing in best position on the skis.

Problem with hellicoil lack of flexibility once installed this it. Inserts probably better option.
I would suggest, when time come, installing binding with regular screws to make sure binding location you like to be.... afterwards inserts.

Your skis will be made with Black Locust on the screws this way even with several sets of unplugged inserts no water damage to the core

prsboogie

Would that work for a touring binding like say a guardian?

They might, if its not listed, just shoot them an email. Super easy people to deal with. Just make surd when you do it use long drying time epoxy, not the two hour stuff, marine grade too.

snoseek

Ok inserts set for a guardian. They will come off the fatypus and they're mint due to several years of drought.

Anyone interested a pair of 194 fatypus desenders. These skis charge on steep pow and in good shape. 175 you pay shipping.