• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf 3/22/14

shwilly

Ms. Shwilly and I dropped off our older sweetie for an all day lesson and set out for our first day out together at the Loaf, or at all, in 5 years. Conditions all over were nice and snowy with snow falling throughout the day. It was cold and windy on the lifts, but wind wasn't an issue in the trees.

We got in one run through Pipecleaner before the lift closed for the day. We went to the base and got mufflers, then headed back up and went into Brackett Basin for the first time since it was cleared and put on the map. The main entrance is terrible, but the area is incredible. We spent most of the day doing laps there in really nice conditions that got better throughout the day.

We picked up sweetie at 3 and found her skills much improved from the beginning of the day. We did a few runs together on the bunny slopes and called it a day. We are optimistic; if the kids learn how to ski we can start going again.

IMG_2133.jpgIMG_2134.jpgIMG_2137.jpg

xlr8r

Where on the mountain is that last photo from?

jaysunn

When you say the entrance to Brackett was sketchy, are you referring to ice? Or rocks? I never hit it yet, cant wait, but what was the reference to the entrance in detail.

Obviously it was awesome after that……. Beta Please

shwilly

When you say the entrance to Brackett was sketchy, are you referring to ice? Or rocks? I never hit it yet, cant wait, but what was the reference to the entrance in detail.

Obviously it was awesome after that……. Beta Please

Ice, rocks, stumps, you name it! Everyone going through the main gate is funneled along the same traverse. I guess it just hasn't held up. Once you're in, everything opens up and conditions are great.

nanjil

The entrance is the most difficult part especially if you are going to the most eastern parts. It is simply roller coaster

nanjil

I forgot to add you can drop down immediately and still reach a large swath of the eastern areas. This way you can skip the roller coaster

nanjil

Also do consider nice powdery glades in the west side like the one between skidder and hayburner. You can use them as practice runs for brackett