• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gore 3-23-14

legalskier

Conditions: pp, groomed, hardpack, ice
Temp on arrival: 17F

Arrived mid morning to a cold, breezy, full parking lot under blue skies. At the base lodge there was a surprisingly good, though not uncomfortable, crowd for late season. The only lift line we waited on was the first one up the gondi, and that was only a few mins. The temps had plummeted from the day before, which led me to expect some icing when we'd get to the top.
We started at the Top Ridge pod, where everything was open & skiing sweet, including the lift line:
Top Ridge liftline.jpg

I'd forgotten what a steep pitch Topridge has:
Topridge.jpg

Over at Straight Brook Chatiemac had the best conditions:
Chatiemac.jpg

As my buddy & I found out, Rumor's head wall was icy, but below that the large widely spaced bumps provided an enjoyable ride:
Rumor.jpg

On Lies we encountered a similarly icy head wall with better conditions below:
Lies.jpg

Last edited:

legalskier

The ice seemed to be presenting at key junctures, like this gnarly bend on Lower Steilhang:
Steilhang.jpg
^ Can you see the small crowd at the top trying to scope out a safe line?

Unlike the steepest steeps the wide boulevards had some sweet coverage, perfect for high speed cruising (while admiring the view):
High peaks.jpg

When we reached Burnt Ridge, we found...no one:
Sagamore.jpg
^ That new lift is comfortable and very fast.

Unfortunately all the glades there were closed (though the website said open):
Glades closed.jpg
...which was strange because our last run down Echo revealed some soft deep pow right off of trail's edge.
All in all, a very enjoyable day spent with some good friends with conditions that were more like mid winter than late March.

Last edited:

legalskier

Gore is my favorite venue in the eastern US and Canada , lots of variety , ski on except the Gondi 2500+ vert :spread:

Speaking of gondi runs, I love ripping down Twister at the end of the day coming off the upper mountain. My friend's app clocked us at over 50 mph.

Looks like plenty of safe lines on that trail to me

This part of the trail is much narrower and steeper with ice and rocks that aren't reflected in the pic so I can't blame them, though I didn't find it too bad.
The icy headwall on Rumor, however, was another story. As Rumor's sign warns, "falls will result in uncontrollable slides."

Last edited:

jaysunn

Speaking of gondi runs, I love ripping down Twister at the end of the day coming off the upper mountain. My friend's app clocked us at over 50 mph.

Damn, you almost hit TunaSpeed.

Warp Daddy

Couldn't agree more Legalskier , Twister is a great warm up and end of day blitzkrieg ! Course for me at almost 71 , i rip it more than than twice . When my boyz want more of the drainpipes up top and i need a break ,the old man heads to Twister to play :spread:

Downhill Threads

Website
www.downhillthreads.com
great pics and recap legal. I happened to ski there yesterday too! I had only been to Gore once before (and most of the mt was closed that time) so my buddy and I tried to hit as much terrain as our legs could handle in one day. I highlighted the trail map of what we did. (couple trails we did multiple times).

We must have got lucky hitting Burnt Ridge early because Barkeater glades were open at the time. It was a little thin at the bottom, which may be why they closed them.

Our favorite runs of the day were The Cave glades (amazing... secluded, narrow, beautiful. did that twice), Chatiemac glades (also beautiful), and ripping through Barkeater glades. Favorite non-glade was probably High Pines glades (not really a glade), but interesting and challenging terrain. And showcase is an awesome way to zip back down to the lodge.

It was fun to get the heart pumping on Rumor and Lies as well. Just had to trust your edges and make smart turns.

All-in-all, was SUPER impressed with Gore. The glades are the best I've skied in NY by far. I was at Whiteface a couple weeks earlier and I would rank Gore way higher for variety of terrain, glades, and just overall experience. Will definitely head back there.

gore-1day.jpg

jfrenchu

we skied some glade on burnt ridge Boreaus? it was def open as were others Twister glades for sure was open

legalskier

we skied some glade on burnt ridge Boreaus? it was def open as were others Twister glades for sure was open

By the time we got to the Burnt Ridge lift it was almost 3. Perhaps they shut down those glades around that time of day. If we had known, we would've hit there before heading to the upper mountain. Anyway, we still had fun on Sagamore and Echo. Maybe next time.....

Sagamore glades.jpg
Too late.... :sad:

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

Gore is going to start getting crowded if you guys keep talking it up like this! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfrenchu

yeah keep it quiet.there are a lot of flat spots though ,not too bad if condtions are fast but on a powder day....