• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most bizarre skiing injury you've ever had?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Got the diagnosis of mine today.

Herniated Heel Fat Pad and Hematoma

Basically I landed so hard and flat off a jump in the park at Crotched in January that I essentially blew a section of the fat pad in my heel through the fibrous sheathing that holds it in place and out the side of my heel. The trauma from the impact also caused a Hematoma.

Totally bizarre injury. I initially went to my primary care doctor as it looked like I had a giant cyst on my heel. He aspirated some blood with a needle and tried to press out what he assumed was puss; basically like popping a zit. What we thought was puss that he got out, was actually fat from my heel. :blink: That procedure relieved some pressure and I was able to keep skiing for a few weeks with a donut pad around the injury, but this mass which I thought was a cyst kept growing and getting harder while becoming tremendously painful to even walk on.

So, my doc sent me to a podiatrist. Podiatrist said he thought it was a complication of having flat feet, sent me away with Orthotics and said I should take it easy for a month, but if I really wanted to ski, I could have a boot fitter modify the boot to accommodate this growing mass. I decided to take it easy rather than modify my boots to accommodate an injury. When I tried to get back out there on St. Patty's day it hurt like a sonofabitch and I only lasted 3 runs. Pretty much thought my season was done and had my doctor hook me up with one of the best orthopedic surgeons in New England who specializes in feet.

The lump continued to grow and hurt badly up until a week ago and then basically stopped hurting so much and the mass started to shrink. I said screw it and went skiing at Cannon yesterday, which was amazing.

Heel is a bit sore today and though I had been feeling better, I went to the ortho anyways and got the diagnosis. He said the Hematoma is essentially gone and I should be completely pain free in a month or so, but I'll continue to have a lump of fat on the side of my heel where it doesn't belong for probably the rest of my life. I guess I'll look at it as a reminder why I'm getting too old to ski park anymore. :lol:

dlague

My wife got tripped up by another out of control beginner skier who skied over her skis and she double ejected and landed elbow first. As a result she jammed her shoulder and the humerus head split her humerus open with 7 fractures. She got up and skied down to ski patrol and they thought she dislocated it (that would have been better). Required 6 months of PT to get things close to normal again!

Now she sees a beginner and steers clear!

Cannonball

DH, that is nasty!! Literally queasy reading that. So are you now missing fat padding where there should be some? Does that present possible injury/pain in the future?

ski&soccermom

My son and husband tripped up my skis getting off a lift and my acl popped - early December season ending injury...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
[
"Basically I landed so hard and flat "

No Back problems?....I landed extended and flat and felt it in my spinal column from my back up to the base of my scull.
took a long time to shake off.

deadheadskier

Staff member
DH, that is nasty!! Literally queasy reading that. So are you now missing fat padding where there should be some? Does that present possible injury/pain in the future?

The amount displaced isn't enough to notice on the bottom of the foot. As for re-injury and future problems, the Doc claimed it would take a similar forceful blow and even then it's a crap shoot. Apparently I just landed with my weight just so and it caused the blow out. :lol:

That day I took some runs with you all at Cannon was about a week after it happened and I was hurting pretty good by the end of the day. My first Doc visit was the Tuesday after when I first got it drained, which allowed me to ski with a tolerable amount of pain at the AZ summit, but I only skied one more day after that as it really started to hurt. After that day I was so frustrated and in pain I went to the local Rite Aid and bought some hypodermic needles and attempted to aspirate it myself still thinking it was a cyst, but by that point the hematoma had hardened and I was unsuccessful. Kind of a odd experience. I told the pharmacy tech I had a diabetic neighbor who needed the needles. I didn't want them to think I was a junky. :lol:

I'm sure the fact that I spend 25 hours a week on my feet all day interning at a hospital and 30+ hours in the evenings working at a restaurant didn't help in the healing process.

Anyways, here's a picture of it now. My new heel side fat bag is circled in black. It was about double the size and black at it's worst. Not too bad anymore. Should be able to ski without issue for the remainder of the season.

1zpp7a8.jpg

xwhaler

'Heal' up fast DHS----doesn't look like you've had a very good late winter. Glad to see things are improving though.

darent

hope that thing goes away for you,weird o injury for sure,get better fast DHS

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Riverskier

I can't compete with that! I did tear my achillies though. Not a bizarre injury per say, but very rare to happen while in a ski boot.

Warp Daddy

Look at the Hoka One One running shoe for some relief if u are on your feet all day , it has an extremely thick and cushioned sole . A serious marathoner we know had these when he had a painful bottom of the foot injury