• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain 4/3/2014

Sum1

Magic Mountain 4/3/2014
The last Throw-Back Thursday of the season - $15 tix - couldn't resist.
My second visit to the place Where Skiing Still Has A Soul -- (lifted from the Events calendar chalkboard in the lodge).
Arrived a few minutes before 9 am and found no more than a dozen folks sitting in the lodge, reading the paper, chatting over a cup of coffee.
One older gent held the attention of a small group with stories of his Army days and saving up over several months of paychecks to get his first gear - skis/poles/boots(the lace-up kind)/hat and jacket, all for $27.00.
They knew there was no rush; at Magic, unless it's freshly fallen stuff, you've got to follow the sun.
Skies were clear blue, temps. were well into the 30's and would climb steadily to 50 throughout the day.

First run down the Upper Magic Carpet corduroy was glassy and crisp, and I should have known better when I opted to get off the stuff and went down Up Your Sleeve.
Whoa, it was truly ROCK ice, like riding over ball bearings of different sizes. No ski in the world is built for that stuff and I wished I had a mouthguard so as not to break my teeth.

Subsequent runs on the East side were all on the groomers and they got better (softer) with each run.
Trick was great all morning, just seemed more edge-able from the start.
Plenty of good cover across the entire lower half of the East side.
Show Off and Wand were icy fast early in the day.
Mystery was roped off but by 10:45 the sunlight was laying over about half of it.
It was a good poach - dodged some dirt and rocks but the left-side had nice turns in it.
The bottom half was hard, but later in the day would become a nice load of oatmeal.
It was fun making the guesses every time.

Even the Red Line was at least 50% doable. Large portions of it had nice cover but it was the rock ledges that made it impossible to link it all together. Those were bare with no options.

I was hoping to take a look in the Goniff glade but it was closed all day and I couldn't scout any decent lines from the chair.

Around noon, a few people began to inquire with ski patrol about opening Westside and by 12:30 it was mostly have at it.

Patrol said the Black line was a crap shoot, plenty of surprise rocks with much ice, so I heeded the word.
Talisman was a beauty all afternoon - - finesse it or blast it, everyone had a smile.
I gave Sorcerer a try but didn't have much fun. There was a skinny band of good snow 3' - 5' wide on left and right with significant scrub, roots, and rock, all through the center. I can't really say I ski'd it; more like a revolving sideways slide most of the way until reaching the bottom third which was filled in.
Upper Magician was roped and definitely looked more like a rocky hiking zone with some snow and ice scattered about, but looking up at it from the bottom of Broomstick, you could see plenty of snow to connect you to Heart of Magician after the initial steep. Not easy, but possible.
Broomstick ran like a skate park videogame - a small almost-half-pipe, 50/50 snow/ice. Had to pretend you're hip-checking some Russians to keep your speed under control there - - not that I have anything against Russians, mind you.
For me, The fun runs of the day were Heart of Magician - - a perfect mix of soft and hard snow pack across sunlight and shade, all lumped up with some bare spots that forced you to stay alert and think a few moves ahead. Just perfect.

During a mid-afternoon beer break, I did a head count in the lounge and watched the lift for about a half hour: 53.

What a unique slice of life for a Thursday in April 2014.

Attachments

• Broomstick.jpg
    Broomstick.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Heart_of_Magic_Midway.jpg
    Heart_of_Magic_Midway.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Heart_of_Magician_1.jpg
    Heart_of_Magician_1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Heart_of_Magician_2.jpg
    Heart_of_Magician_2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Mystery_looking_up.jpg
    Mystery_looking_up.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Sum1

Pic 1 - Bottom of Broomstick looking up.
Pic 2 - Looking up Heart of Magician
Pic 3 - Looking down Heart of Magician
Pic 4 - Looking down Heart of Magician
Pic 5 - A little past mid-point, looking up Mystery

Sum1

Pic 1 -- Pretty sure that's the Superstar trail at Killington who knows how many miles to the N/NW.
Pic 2 -- Top of Upper Magician; missed it this year. Hard to see, but there's alotta rocks waiting to reach out and grabbya.

Attachments

• Superstar_Peekaboo.jpg
    Superstar_Peekaboo.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Upper_Magician_1.jpg
    Upper_Magician_1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 117

Savemeasammy

I was there yesterday as well. Got there a little after noon. With so few on the hill, you might have seen me ;)

Killington is visible from magic, but is more to the left from your pic. Devil's Fiddle an OL
are visible, as are some runs over the shoulder of K and Skye. Okemo is visible even more to the left - although very little of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sum1

I was there yesterday as well. Got there a little after noon. With so few on the hill, you might have seen me ;)

Killington is visible from magic, but is more to the left from your pic. Devil's Fiddle an OL
are visible, as are some runs over the shoulder of K and Skye. Okemo is visible even more to the left - although very little of it.

Hi S-M-A-S,
I just noticed noticed your 6 am 4/3 post in the other ski sub-forum this morning.
Wish I had seen it early that day and responded.
Would've been fun to meet up with an AZ'er.

So I'm still trying to figure out what far-off trail is in the photo I posted.
I'm looking at google maps and it appears Bromley is closest to the right (Westerly direction) when riding up the red chair looking South. And Okemo is visible almost directly behind your back to the North (slight NE).
Killington and Pico appear to be too directly North of Magic - - but the shot I took was over my right shoulder in a more NW direction.
But I don't see any ski areas that correlate?
It's a mystery. <<shrugs>>

Sum1

But I suppose it can't be Superstar at K because it would seem logical that you'd see Ovation right next to it.
Still a mystery.

Sum1

Looks pretty good! Sounds like a nice day.

It absolutely was - near perfect in every way.
$15 tix.
No crowds.
Varied terrain.
The bartender in the lounge even asked to know my name so he could inquire later if I wanted any food with my beer out on the deck.
I was near dumbstruck and it took me a few beats to say uhhh, thanks. :)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It's dynamite to see Magic open so late into the season. Your pics show trails in mighty fine shape. Good for them, and good for you. when you said you did a head check, I thought you were gonna say there were six people. It's good they had that many people show - good for their business. This year is going to give them a great rep.

Savemeasammy

Hi S-M-A-S,
I just noticed noticed your 6 am 4/3 post in the other ski sub-forum this morning.
Wish I had seen it early that day and responded.
Would've been fun to meet up with an AZ'er.

So I'm still trying to figure out what far-off trail is in the photo I posted.
I'm looking at google maps and it appears Bromley is closest to the right (Westerly direction) when riding up the red chair looking South. And Okemo is visible almost directly behind your back to the North (slight NE).
Killington and Pico appear to be too directly North of Magic - - but the shot I took was over my right shoulder in a more NW direction.
But I don't see any ski areas that correlate?
It's a mystery. <<shrugs>>

Stratton is to your right as you ride up. Bromley is behind you. The top of Okemo is barely visible over the top of another mt, and Killington is a bit more visible. Both are sort of behind you over your left shoulder. Not sure what is in your pic? Perhaps just a slide zone.

Savemeasammy

And Pico faces north, so the trails would not be visible, but the summit probably is (although I didn't look for it).

Sum1

It's dynamite to see Magic open so late into the season. Your pics show trails in mighty fine shape.

Seriously, I just couldn't believe I got that lucky.
I watched a guy navigate the trees off Broomstick.
It looked a little a tricky but he did it.
I keep saying to myself, gotta catch a fresh snowfall for a full top to bottom run through Magician.

[[sidenote: been noticing your sig line for a while and been dying to ask -- are you kidding, or do you really tote around a 36 pound field intel computer and chevy your comms via satellite??]]

WoodCore

Not Superstar, Mount Equinox in Manchester, VT

Pic 1 -- Pretty sure that's the Superstar trail at Killington who knows how many miles to the N/NW.
Pic 2 -- Top of Upper Magician; missed it this year. Hard to see, but there's alotta rocks waiting to reach out and grabbya.

Sum1

Not Superstar, Mount Equinox in Manchester, VT

Aha! Thanks, mystery solved.
Completely slipped me as a possibility - - a coupla summers ago I drove to the top and walked around the eery abandoned Inn.