• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay or Sugarloaf for first weekend of May?

New Daddy

Based on the past track record, which one usually does better in early May, Jay or Sugarloaf, in terms of the base depth and ski area open?

Edd

I'm no JP expert but I've gotta believe the Loaf blows it out of the water for terrain open.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

snoseek

Late spring Sugarloaf wins almost every time IMO

dmw

Does the Loaf tend to keep a lot of terrain open late, and also run lifts that access a lot of it? Or do they start limiting terrain, certain trail pods etc? Never been so hard to visualize the layout etc.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They pretty much get down to the Superquad only late season. You can ski about 75% of the main mountain off that lift, though some of it requires significant traversing to get too.

Sugarloaf might no longer win the last too close contest, but IMO they are the King of Spring in the east when it comes to terrain offerings late April / early May

crank

Loaf. Tree skiing is only good if there is powder. Jay Peak is only good for tree skiing. Therefore Jay Peak is only good with powder.

The real answer is Tucks though.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
A lot of times Skyline stays open pretty late too at Sugarloaf, which reaches most of the rest of the good stuff that the SuperQuad doesn't reach.