• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

DIY Ski Tuning

dlague

I do the bases lightly to remove any burrs and provide a light touch up then do the side edge and it comes out pretty good. Every couple of years I get the bases grinded. As far as doing the sides the quote from above
"Files shape, stones sharpen."
, I use files and my edges are plenty sharp to the point where I cut my thumb open.

If you want to save time get the Roto Brushes!

Scruffy

Anyone do a base grind at home? If so, what piece of equipment do you use?

In the old days they used belt sanders, but I wouldn't recommend it. To easy to wind up with a wavy base that would ski like sh$t.

I have a SkiVissions base flattener tool that is kind of like a hand plane. I use to flatten my bases with it, but I don't use it very much anymore. It takes too much time since it removes so little base with each stroke. And there the possibility of pressuring one side too much and winding up with a screwed up base. If I have a gouge that has a high ridge, I'll use it to remove the ridge. But the commercial base grinders at reputable shops are so good now, it's not worth the hassle. Besides the structure the commercial grinders put in the base is worth the price of the grind itself. Just make sure you go to a reputable shop. They need to know how to run and maintain the machine.

drjeff

In the old days they used belt sanders, but I wouldn't recommend it. To easy to wind up with a wavy base that would ski like sh$t.

I have a SkiVissions base flattener tool that is kind of like a hand plane. I use to flatten my bases with it, but I don't use it very much anymore. It takes too much time since it removes so little base with each stroke. And there the possibility of pressuring one side too much and winding up with a screwed up base. If I have a gouge that has a high ridge, I'll use it to remove the ridge. But the commercial base grinders at reputable shops are so good now, it's not worth the hassle. Besides the structure the commercial grinders put in the base is worth the price of the grind itself. Just make sure you go to a reputable shop. They need to know how to run and maintain the machine.

I'll second the ski visions base flattener! Does a good job at keep the base flat!

Enjoying watching my 10yr old waxing his first pair of skis right now!

Attachments

• 1452905728460.jpg
    1452905728460.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 69

soulseller

Good timing on this thread bump, can anyone recommend an edge tool on Amazon? I've been looking recently to pick one up but there are not many reviews on any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Scruffy

Good timing on this thread bump, can anyone recommend an edge tool on Amazon? I've been looking recently to pick one up but there are not many reviews on any of them.

this
http://www.amazon.com/Swix-Side-Edg...912514&sr=1-19&refinements=p_6:A344OI9G4A0JZ9

plus this

http://www.amazon.com/Swix-Professi..._SL500_SR135,135_&refRID=0MTNQ3W1SGTC4CTWX6HD

with this

http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-XM5-Sp..._UL160_SR114,160_&refRID=1C0SFCFQ4EVF80JDV2GX

But I like this:

http://www.tognar.com/side-of-beast-pro-side-angle-guide/

yeggous

I've wondered about flattening my own bases. At this point any time I do a ptex solder I try scraping down the best that I can. At the end of the day I usually find myself springing for a shop tune with stone grind for $20. At that price it is worth it.

goldsbar

I have the Ski Visions base flattener, including the additional extra course file for true base flattening. It's good for giving your bases some structure and flattening ptex repairs. But, I wouldn't use it to actually flatten a base. I did an experiment on an old pair of skis one summer. Spent at least a couple of hours, maybe more on one ski and was going nowhere fast. It just doesn't take off enough material and there's no guaranty that your doing everything evenly. You could theoretically put a tilt into your base. Otherwise, using the tool the "regular" way with the stones or the metal scrapper is perfectly safe.

Whitey

I've actually belt sanded the bases of some rock skis I had and they came out OK. Of course they were rock skis.

Even though I am usually the DIY advocate on this forum, on this one I'd say "go to the shop". If your bases/edges are bad enough that they need to been flattened, you're better off just having a shop do a base grind. A "basic tune" only runs $20-$30 and the results will probably be better.

As for the thread topic - I'll "touch up" my edges with my files and stones throughout the season (depending on how "rocky" my previous ski trips were) but now the trip to the shop at the start of the season to get the bases ground is pretty much a routine. Start the season that way. I even did a mid-season return trip to the shop last year before I headed to Iceface (Lake Placid) and after some "rocky" trips. I've found that sharp edges are your best friend at Whiteface. . .

cliffsteep

+1 for using a belt sander. It works just fine if you are careful. Use a fine grit belt lightly and keep it moving.

yeggous

What do people do about polishing stones? I recently got the SVST World Cup stone kit. It does an amazing job but is a lot of work for a full sequence of stones. And they are difficult if not impossible to clean. I'm starting to think a sequence of diamond stones followed by a single Arkansas stone is the way to go.

Does anyone use aluminum oxide stones on their base edge? Or do they just completely avoid it?

goldsbar

Regarding stones, usually 100 grit followed by translucent Arkansas stone. 50/50 water/rubbing alcohol spray mix as lube for both. If I'm pretending I'm in the WC, 100-200-800(?)-stone. No idea if that's right or wrong.

dlague