Smuggler's Notch 04/05/2014 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Posts
    3,636
    Oh man, I can imagine that car ride and my sympathies to you. I met up with similar conditions at K and after trying to convince my wife to go was actually glad she was not there. My wife has the same feelings about Whiteface NY in that she will never go again.

    Alex

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ


  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    Oh man, I can imagine that car ride and my sympathies to you. I met up with similar conditions at K and after trying to convince my wife to go was actually glad she was not there. My wife has the same feelings about Whiteface NY in that she will never go again.

    Alex

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Well, in her defense, sometimes my desire to make turns out weighs the need to be informed and make the right decision. So she has been there and done that - however, I have to hand it to her she will hang in there even on the worst days and make a go of it as she did this time. Our first three trips to Jay Peak were white out, super windy, freezing rain messes and she did not really want to go back - it is one of her favorites now!

    The next year's trip will have to be better planned for Smuggs!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  3. #13
    I, too, was part of the misery fest that was Smuggs on Saturday. I didn't post any pics or a report. Your report was spot on about conditions.

    Your day sounded much, much more tiresome than mine. Sorry you had such a bad experience. I love the notch and just chalked it up to crap timing. Be sure to give her another chance.


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

  4. #14
    Smuggs has great family learning area sorry you were theri on bad day. when it good it great like skiing all over hopfully your wife will go again.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottySkis View Post
    Smuggs has great family learning area sorry you were theri on bad day. when it good it great like skiing all over hopfully your wife will go again.
    Ya we do not ski the family learning area part of Smuggs! I was hoping to ski some of the glades at Smuggs though!



    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Last edited by dlague; Apr 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  6. #16
    Perhaps a "couples day" at Smuggs next season is in order. I'd love to bring my wife, but the best of what Smuggs has to offer is beyond her!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #17
    Smuggs is one of my wife's favorite mtns in the East----give it another shot and I don't think you will be disappointed.
    Feel like Mid/Late March is prime time to hit Smuggs---everything is open and normal crowds on the doubles wont be quite so bad.
    We actually tried Morse this yr for a couple runs---the chairs are even slower than Sterling/M1/M2 so we couldn't take it after a couple runs but there are some cool low angle glades and the upper headwall at top of Morse liftline looks decent.
    2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10


    2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Savemeasammy View Post
    Perhaps a "couples day" at Smuggs next season is in order. I'd love to bring my wife, but the best of what Smuggs has to offer is beyond her!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Savemeasammy, you have a good idea there and we might be able to make that work! All the talk of ski offs and stuff, there is never any discussion relative to this concept! Xwhaler and his wife skied with my wife and I which was fun!

    Quote Originally Posted by xwhaler View Post
    Smuggs is one of my wife's favorite mtns in the East----give it another shot and I don't think you will be disappointed.
    Feel like Mid/Late March is prime time to hit Smuggs---everything is open and normal crowds on the doubles wont be quite so bad.
    We actually tried Morse this yr for a couple runs---the chairs are even slower than Sterling/M1/M2 so we couldn't take it after a couple runs but there are some cool low angle glades and the upper headwall at top of Morse liftline looks decent.
    We have been there twice, the first time we looked at the trail map and decided to stick to Madonna and Sterling! The second time (this trip) well there was one trail open so we did not bother! I am surprised that they do not shut down Morse sooner since the number of beginners probably is really low by the end of March.

    BTW I did talk to my wife and we plan on a Stowe/Smuggs weekend next year and stay over night locally. So we wil have to poke around the Morse side a bit.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  9. #19
    Don't get me wrong, Dlague... We could squeeze in a ski off as well !! (We are having fun beating this into the ground!)

    Kidding aside, there are probably a number of couples who might be into this - and it could be at any # of different hills. We will have to pick this topic up again next year - my wife has hung up the skis for the season!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #20
    Definitely a topic for next season!

    My wife on the otherhand is in it til the end! We are headed for MRG on Saturday! Cannon and Jay Peak the following weekend and she wants to ski Jay Peak on Mothers Day too. We also want to hit up Sugarbush for their free/last weekend! And last but not least a trip or two to Kmart!


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:23 PM.