• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

God I love Spring in New England!!

Cannonball

A random April snow storm would make me smile big time! But even without that, this is an incredible time of year to be in New England. Sunday we were skiing mid-winter conditions with 100% coverage on fast groomers. Yesterday I was working 15 miles offshore on a beautiful day with whales all over the place. Today I'm on my kayak working in the river. And by the weekend we'll all be skiing spring bumps!! Seriously where in the world does it get better than this?!

dlague

A random April snow storm would make me smile big time! But even without that, this is an incredible time of year to be in New England. Sunday we were skiing mid-winter conditions with 100% coverage on fast groomers. Yesterday I was working 15 miles offshore on a beautiful day with whales all over the place. Today I'm on my kayak working in the river. And by the weekend we'll all be skiing spring bumps!! Seriously where in the world does it get better than this?!

Damn! You are all over the place! But you are right this year especially! I think the grade for this season for many (another thread) has to have gone up since that thread started in February!

legalskier

7ylqn.jpg

Tin

Loving it, been catching tons of decent bass burning crankbaits after work this week in 45* water and this weekend we will be bumping up at MRG. Love March-May.

JDMRoma

Your lucky, Best of both worlds.....You can play and Work outside ! Sounds like perfection to me !

pcampbell

Today could have been Jan 15th or 20th at MRG if not for the warm temp. It setup really nicely overnight and there was 1" of either fresh snow or wind blown , for sure seemed fresh. I was worried it'd be like it was last Saturday--an icy mess, but it was not even close.

Catamount bowl is starting to lose a little snowpack, but the chute is perfect. The woods are all almost perfect. The occasional branch showing through at lower elevation. I hit up catamount, chute, lift line, lynx, lower antelope, woods between beaver+lower antelope, woods below bunny, ferret, upper glade, and I'm sure some others. it's all very very good. I already cut work this week on Monday, somehow today's conditions are better (although I was at Sugarbush Monday... ) :stirpot:

i haven't seen a lot of micro-powder days that we often get in April, but even without, it is very good!!

April 10, 2014:

13761714214_774607c511_b.jpg

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Great post. I love it. If my health getx better tbis sedke.d will be fun times at Hunter then biking and hopfully hiking . i love living 20 miles from NY state LKe Minneska a.d Monhonk Persr e.

4aprice

I'm hoping that this is the weekend I ski for all season. Can't make it to Cannon to see all the fun (just too far from NNJ) but will be at the K playing in the bumps and the woods, enjoying the spring weather in the mountains of Northern New England. (I'll wave because Cannon can be seen off of Killington on a beautiful day). Ah, sweatshirts, Sun Block, drinks on the deck (and pit stops in the woods or a hike to the peak), tunes on the ipod and burgers (or at least the smell of)on the deck. Hope mother nature cooperates.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Edd

My last two days at SR and Cannon have been ideal spring days. Hoping for a couple more on Sun and Mon.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

dlague

Ah yes spring turns courtesy of Jay Peak which is looking pretty good!

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1397170979.079277.jpg

Not exactly girls in bikinis but looks pretty damn awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

lerops

What is the ideal spring temperature pattern?

I get that freeze-thaw is bad in the mornings. What if it freezes and stays there? That also sounds bad without fresh snow. Do we want above freezing, but not too warm weather so that it softens and stays that way? Obviously, in that case liquid precipitation would be a problem.

Cannonball

^ freeze over night to reduce loss of snow pack. Sleep in. Hit mtn around 10 or 11 when the sun is up and thaw has started. Ski corn then slush. Quit at 4. Drink beer. Go for hike. Fire up grill. Drink more beer. Repeat. What was the question again?

Edd

^ freeze over night to reduce loss of snow pack. Sleep in. Hit mtn around 10 or 11 when the sun is up and thaw has started. Ski corn then slush. Quit at 4. Drink beer. Go for hike. Fire up grill. Drink more beer. Repeat. What was the question again?

Go for hike after beer? Hmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone