• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MRG Advise

dlague

My wife and i are going to MRG for the first time. She is nervous about the experience and I told her she will be fine. She skied much of the difficult terrain at Magic. Obviously I will not take her down Paradise, but out of curiosity which trails would you recommend that have a difficult rating there. I want her to continue to building confidence on black trails and not make a bad choice that will set her back.

Thanks in advance!

xwhaler

It depends on much is bumped up---she can easily do Antelope all the way down from the single as well as maybe Catamount Bowl.
Fox/Vixen/Quacky are great off the Sunnyside double as are the trails off of Birdland.
Have fun! Its a great experience---my wife had a really fun time staying on the blues when we were there in March.

WWF-VT

After your drive to Smuggs I recommend that you take 89N in VT to Exit 9 to 100B South to 100 South to Rt 17 West. Your GPS might want you to get off at Exit 4 or 5 and take the Roxbury Gap Rd. It's likely going to be a mud pit and you'll have to turn around and go to Exit 9 anyway. ;)

Savemeasammy

Exit 4. Bethel mt rd. Just did it last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tin

As I learned, it rated a diamond, good chance there is a ledge or nearly unavoidable air. Most intermediates are bumped and would be a diamond anywhere else. Do some exploring before zipping down. We will be there all weekend. MadMadWorld gave me a tour for the first time last week, place is just amazing.

dlague

As I learned, it rated a diamond, good chance there is a ledge or nearly unavoidable air. Most intermediates are bumped and would be a diamond anywhere else. Do some exploring before zipping down. We will be there all weekend. MadMadWorld gave me a tour for the first time last week, place is just amazing.

We can try an meet up I will PM you.

dlague

After your drive to Smuggs I recommend that you take 89N in VT to Exit 9 to 100B South to 100 South to Rt 17 West. Your GPS might want you to get off at Exit 4 or 5 and take the Roxbury Gap Rd. It's likely going to be a mud pit and you'll have to turn around and go to Exit 9 anyway. ;)

There are like 4 different exits you can take! Been via Roxbury Gap when there was freezing rain on that road which sucked totally. Been via exit 9 too but that makes 89 feel very long. We often take exit 3 now and go up route 100 to Sugarbush which is right next door. All paths are with in 5 minutes of each other. Thanks for the info in any case!

MadMadWorld

Dlague, if she could handle Magic then she will fine on the marked terrain at MRG. I'm sure she would be able to ski Paradise if she was able to ski Red and Black Line at Magic. The top part can be intimidating but you can go around the drop. After that it is well spaced trees with a nice pitch and bumps. Skiing on the double will probably be very grassy. I imagine the single will ski better.

dlague

Dlague, if she could handle Magic then she will fine on the marked terrain at MRG. I'm sure she would be able to ski Paradise if she was able to ski Red and Black Line at Magic. The top part can be intimidating but you can go around the drop. After that it is well spaced trees with a nice pitch and bumps. Skiing on the double will probably be very grassy. I imagine the single will ski better.

She was able to ski down Magician, Broomstick, Witch, Goniff Glades, Black Line and Heart of Magician. In fact, she wants to go do that again next year. Her concern was it was powder there - like 2 feet and this weekend it will be heavy super soft/mash potato more than likely! She will be fine!

MadMadWorld

She was able to ski down Magician, Broomstick, Witch, Goniff Glades, Black Line and Heart of Magician. In fact, she wants to go do that again next year. Her concern was it was powder there - like 2 feet and this weekend it will be heavy super soft/mash potato more than likely! She will be fine!

She will do great then. If she likes those trails she will love MRG. A good test for Paradise is Fall Line. I have a feeling Chute, Fall Line, and Paradise will be the place to be. Antelope will be fun. Off the double, Quacky should be great. Slalom Hill will have nice bumps but the traverse is probably ugly. The lower portion of Gazelle will also be sweet.

MadMadWorld

I forgot to mention....make sure you use the Fall Line entrance from up above Starks Nest (how you access Paradise). Don't access it from skiers left of Chute. That entrance is very deceiving it goes from a narrow bump trail to very steep and tight trees within a few hundred feet. She would not enjoy it!

dlague

I am saddened to report that we are now NOT going to MRG! Our son the snowboarder has no place to go! Cousins are out of state for a baseball tourney another is sick and one of his friends parents bailed on plans for the day after agreeing all week - douchbag! However it is not all bad since we will ski Cannon instead.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

nelsapbm

MRG closed for the season yesterday so if you were planning on going this week then you would have been out of luck anyway!

Bumpsis

I am saddened to report that we are now NOT going to MRG! Our son the snowboarder has no place to go! Cousins are out of state for a baseball tourney another is sick and one of his friends parents bailed on plans for the day after agreeing all week - douchbag! However it is not all bad since we will ski Cannon instead.

That is too bad. I was looking forward to your report from this trip. Your trip report on the Smuggler's Notch trip was great :)

dlague

That is too bad. I was looking forward to your report from this trip. Your trip report on the Smuggler's Notch trip was great :)

Well now I will report on Cannon, but you will know what I am talking about since you were there. Looks a few Azoners were there!

Cannonball

Cannon for the win. Cannon welcomes all. MRG will always find a way to let you down.

dlague

Hmm I think Cannon has been known to let many a person down.

Did not let us down - we had a blast! I have been trying to get to MRG for three years and on the day planned I have no coverage for our snowboarder. I am OK with that - he is really good and there are other mountains as in this case Cannon. He can rip it all up - at 11 he is a carving snowboarder not a snow pusher.