• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2014 Boating Thread

Cannonball

How many Lbs thrust?

I saw a Minn Kota 44 for sale around the corner from me. Not sure if that is enough to move at a decent pace or not.

We have a Minn Kota 36, and a really old Shakespeare 30. Both do the job just fine. But I'm not trying to go far or fast. If I'm with somebody else we'll usually just paddle. But the motor makes it easier to maneuver solo. Paddling a long canoe solo can be a pain.

Huck_It_Baby

We have a Minn Kota 36, and a really old Shakespeare 30. Both do the job just fine. But I'm not trying to go far or fast. If I'm with somebody else we'll usually just paddle. But the motor makes it easier to maneuver solo. Paddling a long canoe solo can be a pain.

Heading out solo was the goal for the trolling motor. It's not only a long 17 footer but pretty wide too. Trying to paddle solo in any but calm water is a challenge and on Lake Champlain things can get a bit choppy.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll go pick up that motor. With the battery the guy was selling for $120. Seemed like a good deal assuming it's functional.

bigbog

.......on Lake Champlain things can get a bit choppy....
"a bit choppy" to say the least, particularly on something like Champlain:-o, not to mention simply paddling into the wind for a long time with a big hull = Not Fun.. The motor makes it doable, at least around the edges when in the wind.
The ultimate dichotomy, breezes/winds are so nice to feel(for some of us) yet are often a major PITA when it comes to open water distances.
$.01

Last edited:

Huck_It_Baby

"a bit choppy" to say the least, particularly on something like Champlain:-o, not to mention simply paddling into the wind for a long time with a big hull = Not Fun.. The motor makes it doable, at least around the edges when in the wind.
The ultimate dichotomy, breezes/winds are so nice to feel(for some of us) yet are often a major PITA when it comes to open water distances.
$.01

Haha. Having grown up boating on Lake Ontario (motor boat, sailing and paddle) I am certainly familiar with "chop" and the danger of large lakes. Most people underestimate how sever the Great lakes and even Lake Champlain can get. If the weather is rough I don't go out but sometimes the chop from other boats bouncing back and forth in a bay is pretty dangerous.

I stick near the shoreline and explore the islands and bays for the most part. You bet my life vest is always on =)

bigbog

Huck there's a lake just west of BSP = Chesuncook...nowhere as large as Champlain, but lies SE-to-NW, as many Maine lakes do. 2-3' waves are common out in the middle and just like on the huge lakes, if you're not moving quartered or directly into/from...you are toast. Once rode in bow with granddad manning the motor....had to ride ~80% (~10mi+) up the lake from the southernmost shore to count up the chord of cut wood...no roads in specific area then(1968 )...wore my rain jacket but got drenched...but sunny, windy day loved every minute, but when the waves drop off into the troughs...:-o
Canoeing(empty) down either the western or eastern shores are something on that lake...a real testing ground for canoe & paddler...

4aprice

Champlain is supposed to be really bad in a south wind funneling up between the Greens and Adacks. Heck I've seen 6' swells on Winni. Main Lake Hopatcong even gets bad on a busy weekend.

Wasn't out this weekend but understand there are some issues bubbling up between boaters and lake shore owners in our favorite party cove. People gotta respect other peoples property.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Huck_It_Baby

Wasn't out this weekend but understand there are some issues bubbling up between boaters and lake shore owners in our favorite party cove. People gotta respect other peoples property.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I'm not much into the boat party scene but this happens a lot. Boaters clashing with shoreline property owners. My understanding is that the property line along a coast line is a bit grey due to changing water levels whether it be from tides, seasonal rain/snow or human controlled. People end up getting in the water to have fun and end up on shore and technically trespassing. Or if they stay in the water they seem to anger land owners. I'm sure alcohol plays a part.

Back in Rochester, NY there was a problem a few years ago where boaters were anchoring and tieing up in front of a bar on a beach which is in a residential neighborhood. Houses/families on either side of the bar and all share a private beach. Boaters would obviously walk onto the beach to head to the bar or party in the water and end up on the beach.

The situation became a bit heated if I recall and the Sheriff and town had to get involved. New laws were made saying that boaters couldn't anchor within 300 feet of the shore.

http://rochester.twcnews.com/content/news/588391/new-boating-laws-in-effect-for-irondequoit/

Last edited:

Huck_It_Baby

Huck there's a lake just west of BSP = Chesuncook...nowhere as large as Champlain, but lies SE-to-NW, as many Maine lakes do. 2-3' waves are common out in the middle and just like on the huge lakes, if you're not moving quartered or directly into/from...you are toast. Once rode in bow with granddad manning the motor....had to ride ~80% (~10mi+) up the lake from the southernmost shore to count up the chord of cut wood...no roads in specific area then(1968 )...wore my rain jacket but got drenched...but sunny, windy day loved every minute, but when the waves drop off into the troughs...:-o
Canoeing(empty) down either the western or eastern shores are something on that lake...a real testing ground for canoe & paddler...

Just checked it out on the map. Sounds like you had an adventure back then! I really need to explore Maine more. Hoping to hike Katahdin this summer so I think I'll have to bring the canoe along if I do!

4aprice

I'm not much into the boat party scene but this happens a lot. Boaters clashing with shoreline property owners. My understanding is that the property line along a coast line is a bit grey due to changing water levels whether it be from tides, seasonal rain/snow or human controlled. People end up getting in the water to have fun and end up on shore and technically trespassing. Or if they stay in the water they seem to anger land owners. I'm sure alcohol plays a part.

Back in Rochester, NY there was a problem a few years ago where boaters were anchoring and tieing up in front of a bar on a beach which is in a residential neighborhood. Houses/families on either side of the bar and all share a private beach. Boaters would obviously walk onto the beach to head to the bar or party in the water and end up on the beach.

The situation became a bit heated if I recall and the Sheriff and town had to get involved. New laws were made saying that boaters couldn't anchor within 300 feet of the shore.

http://rochester.twcnews.com/content/news/588391/new-boating-laws-in-effect-for-irondequoit/

The home owners have some valid points. On Lake Hopatcong their property technically ends at the waters edge and everything beyond is state controlled. That does not however give the boaters rights to go over and use their swim rafts or trampolines. Our crew has always been respectful and stayed far away from shore, out in the cove.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/local/2014/06/15/residents-seeking-quell-byram-cove-party/10499279/

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/local/2014/06/17/police-presence-byram-cove-party/10695865/

We want to support the home owners with their complaints and at the same time preserve our anchoring location. As said the lake is state property, not private, so we believe they would have a hard time shutting it down.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

bigbog

....Hoping to hike Katahdin this summer so I think I'll have to bring the canoe along if I do!
Oh yeah that's a must if you come up this far... Staying away from the most exposed to wind areas still offers nice breezes during the summer heat and humidity....and we haven't had excessive rain = blackflies aren't that bad, but mosquitoes are still in force.
To travel around the area to any extent...the dirt&small-rock woods roads are the only game in town, but they put in some work on a lot of the roads earlier...so really not too bad.

Last edited:

Huck_It_Baby

The home owners have some valid points. On Lake Hopatcong their property technically ends at the waters edge and everything beyond is state controlled. That does not however give the boaters rights to go over and use their swim rafts or trampolines. Our crew has always been respectful and stayed far away from shore, out in the cove.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/ne...ents-seeking-quell-byram-cove-party/10499279/

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/local/2014/06/17/police-presence-byram-cove-party/10695865/

We want to support the home owners with their complaints and at the same time preserve our anchoring location. As said the lake is state property, not private, so we believe they would have a hard time shutting it down.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I can see arguments for both sides of the issue. Personally I would just move on to a new spot and drop anchor but I've always been boating on larger lakes with plenty of space. I can easily see why people want the right for their chill out spot.

WakeboardMom

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/ne...ents-seeking-quell-byram-cove-party/10499279/

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

There's a party cove not far from us on Winnipesaukee, and I would be sad if I owned a home in that bay. Saturdays and Sundays during high season are a sh*t show. Google "Braun Bay" and see what comes up.

It's a fun place to hang out every once in a while, but best not to think about the water quality in there on a hot summer Saturday.

The Marine Patrol mostly cites people for "rafting." (http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/archive1.cgi?read=56578)

4aprice

There's a party cove not far from us on Winnipesaukee, and I would be sad if I owned a home in that bay. Saturdays and Sundays during high season are a sh*t show. Google "Braun Bay" and see what comes up.

It's a fun place to hang out every once in a while, but best not to think about the water quality in there on a hot summer Saturday.

The Marine Patrol mostly cites people for "rafting." (http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/archive1.cgi?read=56578)

WBM great to hear from you again. Hope life is good up at the big lake. I have knowledge of Winnipesaukee (have spent time there with our boat as well as Lake George) and the web site.

Its interesting that Hopatcong has more of the characteristics of Winni then it does of George. Obviously on a much smaller scale. I think they should look at Winnipesaukee but realize its not quite the same beast. Winni's No Rafting zone's are pretty restrictive but its such a big lake there are plenty of places to spread out to and has public docking allowing access to shore. The sandbars at Braun and West Alton (there's one in Pagus too, right?) are pretty big. Shelving Rock Bay where we hang in Lake George is a big sand bar too. Hopatcong only has one small sand bar area and its subject to big wave action. Byram Cove has depths of 25 - 30 feet right off shore and is a protected no wake zone. I say this because I would not like to see a Winnipesaukee NRZ law applied to Byram Cove and don't think its necessary, but a variation of it might be suitable remedy.

The leader of the shore owners group didn't do his due diligence when he bought as this area has been used for this for much longer then the 7-8 years the article said. The state made it a no wake zone for a reason. To many of us its our beach/pool. The trespassing issue is unacceptable regardless if the trespasser's come from the lake or the road on the other side of the houses. It sucks that people litter but that too can come from other sources then the boats and we all have to do our part to clean up. So the other issue is the noise and this is the one I think can be contained and controlled. The loudest, rowdiest tie ups tend to be rather large with the ski boats and their tower speakers playing music for the whole group. I contend a limited raft size of 5 boats would ramp down the volume big time. The cove is patrolled and it would be easy for the cops to spot and break up larger parties before they got out of hand. I do think things have ramped up over the last 2 seasons. We seem to have had an influx of shore boats come up and discover the lake after Sandy wrecked Barnaget Bay. We will see what happens this weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

WBM great to hear from you again. Hope life is good up at the big lake. I have knowledge of Winnipesaukee (have spent time there with our boat as well as Lake George) and the web site.

Its interesting that Hopatcong has more of the characteristics of Winni then it does of George. Obviously on a much smaller scale. I think they should look at Winnipesaukee but realize its not quite the same beast. Winni's No Rafting zone's are pretty restrictive but its such a big lake there are plenty of places to spread out to and has public docking allowing access to shore. The sandbars at Braun and West Alton (there's one in Pagus too, right?) are pretty big. Shelving Rock Bay where we hang in Lake George is a big sand bar too. Hopatcong only has one small sand bar area and its subject to big wave action. Byram Cove has depths of 25 - 30 feet right off shore and is a protected no wake zone. I say this because I would not like to see a Winnipesaukee NRZ law applied to Byram Cove and don't think its necessary, but a variation of it might be suitable remedy.

The leader of the shore owners group didn't do his due diligence when he bought as this area has been used for this for much longer then the 7-8 years the article said. The state made it a no wake zone for a reason. To many of us its our beach/pool. The trespassing issue is unacceptable regardless if the trespasser's come from the lake or the road on the other side of the houses. It sucks that people litter but that too can come from other sources then the boats and we all have to do our part to clean up. So the other issue is the noise and this is the one I think can be contained and controlled. The loudest, rowdiest tie ups tend to be rather large with the ski boats and their tower speakers playing music for the whole group. I contend a limited raft size of 5 boats would ramp down the volume big time. The cove is patrolled and it would be easy for the cops to spot and break up larger parties before they got out of hand. I do think things have ramped up over the last 2 seasons. We seem to have had an influx of shore boats come up and discover the lake after Sandy wrecked Barnaget Bay. We will see what happens this weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

On Winni there is also Patrician Shores where boats raft a lot.

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone

4aprice

Heading out on the lake today. Should be interesting. Got no feed back on what happened out there yesterday. I'll take the no news as good news.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

Thanks for the acknowledgement...life is great! I hope you have a good summer. : )

(Also we have 2-foot Baja for sale if you know anyone who might be interested. http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/4501930870.html)

Nice boat, good luck with the sale. If IIRC you guys had a couple of vessels so it won't be taking you off the water. Love my 21 ft Chris Craft, perfect size and power. High School graduation today, party this weekend then the summer can really start for us. BTW our boy is going to Plymouth so we will be up in that area quite a bit and probably hit Winni as well. (Want to raft up? :razz:) Got 4 Hopatcong boats (maybe more as people express interest) going to Lake George in August and that should be a lot of fun

Update on Hopatcong. Was out last Sunday and really not much has changed except the cops come through more often and the volume seemed a little subdued. Of course the real test will be the weekend following this next one.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

So just before the weekend of the 4th, we had a party for the boy's graduation. Cleaning up the party and putting away tables I tripped over one of those cast iron Umbrella bases with a table in my hands and crashed down on the table and my right hand. Dislocated 4th and 5th fingers on my right hand. So I'm on the DL for Water Skiing with a soft cast. :sad:. Hope it doesn't take out the whole season but will follow Dr's orders.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ