The 2014 Boating Thread - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    Yup, I have one on the boat in that picture (17' Grumman). Works great.

How many Lbs thrust?

I saw a Minn Kota 44 for sale around the corner from me. Not sure if that is enough to move at a decent pace or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck_It_Baby View Post
    How many Lbs thrust?

I saw a Minn Kota 44 for sale around the corner from me. Not sure if that is enough to move at a decent pace or not.
    We have a Minn Kota 36, and a really old Shakespeare 30. Both do the job just fine. But I'm not trying to go far or fast. If I'm with somebody else we'll usually just paddle. But the motor makes it easier to maneuver solo. Paddling a long canoe solo can be a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    We have a Minn Kota 36, and a really old Shakespeare 30. Both do the job just fine. But I'm not trying to go far or fast. If I'm with somebody else we'll usually just paddle. But the motor makes it easier to maneuver solo. Paddling a long canoe solo can be a pain.
    Heading out solo was the goal for the trolling motor. It's not only a long 17 footer but pretty wide too. Trying to paddle solo in any but calm water is a challenge and on Lake Champlain things can get a bit choppy.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll go pick up that motor. With the battery the guy was selling for $120. Seemed like a good deal assuming it's functional.

.......on Lake Champlain things can get a bit choppy....
    "a bit choppy" to say the least, particularly on something like Champlain, not to mention simply paddling into the wind for a long time with a big hull = Not Fun.. The motor makes it doable, at least around the edges when in the wind.
    The ultimate dichotomy, breezes/winds are so nice to feel(for some of us) yet are often a major PITA when it comes to open water distances.
    $.01
    Last edited by bigbog; Jun 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM.
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    "a bit choppy" to say the least, particularly on something like Champlain, not to mention simply paddling into the wind for a long time with a big hull = Not Fun.. The motor makes it doable, at least around the edges when in the wind.
    The ultimate dichotomy, breezes/winds are so nice to feel(for some of us) yet are often a major PITA when it comes to open water distances.
    $.01
    Haha. Having grown up boating on Lake Ontario (motor boat, sailing and paddle) I am certainly familiar with "chop" and the danger of large lakes. Most people underestimate how sever the Great lakes and even Lake Champlain can get. If the weather is rough I don't go out but sometimes the chop from other boats bouncing back and forth in a bay is pretty dangerous.

I stick near the shoreline and explore the islands and bays for the most part. You bet my life vest is always on =)

Huck there's a lake just west of BSP = Chesuncook...nowhere as large as Champlain, but lies SE-to-NW, as many Maine lakes do. 2-3' waves are common out in the middle and just like on the huge lakes, if you're not moving quartered or directly into/from...you are toast. Once rode in bow with granddad manning the motor....had to ride ~80% (~10mi+) up the lake from the southernmost shore to count up the chord of cut wood...no roads in specific area then(1968 )...wore my rain jacket but got drenched...but sunny, windy day loved every minute, but when the waves drop off into the troughs...
    Canoeing(empty) down either the western or eastern shores are something on that lake...a real testing ground for canoe & paddler...
    SteveD

Champlain is supposed to be really bad in a south wind funneling up between the Greens and Adacks. Heck I've seen 6' swells on Winni. Main Lake Hopatcong even gets bad on a busy weekend.

Wasn't out this weekend but understand there are some issues bubbling up between boaters and lake shore owners in our favorite party cove. People gotta respect other peoples property.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    Wasn't out this weekend but understand there are some issues bubbling up between boaters and lake shore owners in our favorite party cove. People gotta respect other peoples property.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    I'm not much into the boat party scene but this happens a lot. Boaters clashing with shoreline property owners. My understanding is that the property line along a coast line is a bit grey due to changing water levels whether it be from tides, seasonal rain/snow or human controlled. People end up getting in the water to have fun and end up on shore and technically trespassing. Or if they stay in the water they seem to anger land owners. I'm sure alcohol plays a part.

Back in Rochester, NY there was a problem a few years ago where boaters were anchoring and tieing up in front of a bar on a beach which is in a residential neighborhood. Houses/families on either side of the bar and all share a private beach. Boaters would obviously walk onto the beach to head to the bar or party in the water and end up on the beach.

The situation became a bit heated if I recall and the Sheriff and town had to get involved. New laws were made saying that boaters couldn't anchor within 300 feet of the shore.

http://rochester.twcnews.com/content...r-irondequoit/
    Last edited by Huck_It_Baby; Jun 18, 2014 at 9:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    Huck there's a lake just west of BSP = Chesuncook...nowhere as large as Champlain, but lies SE-to-NW, as many Maine lakes do. 2-3' waves are common out in the middle and just like on the huge lakes, if you're not moving quartered or directly into/from...you are toast. Once rode in bow with granddad manning the motor....had to ride ~80% (~10mi+) up the lake from the southernmost shore to count up the chord of cut wood...no roads in specific area then(1968 )...wore my rain jacket but got drenched...but sunny, windy day loved every minute, but when the waves drop off into the troughs...
    Canoeing(empty) down either the western or eastern shores are something on that lake...a real testing ground for canoe & paddler...

Just checked it out on the map. Sounds like you had an adventure back then! I really need to explore Maine more. Hoping to hike Katahdin this summer so I think I'll have to bring the canoe along if I do!

I'm not much into the boat party scene but this happens a lot. Boaters clashing with shoreline property owners. My understanding is that the property line along a coast line is a bit grey due to changing water levels whether it be from tides, seasonal rain/snow or human controlled. People end up getting in the water to have fun and end up on shore and technically trespassing. Or if they stay in the water they seem to anger land owners. I'm sure alcohol plays a part.

Back in Rochester, NY there was a problem a few years ago where boaters were anchoring and tieing up in front of a bar on a beach which is in a residential neighborhood. Houses/families on either side of the bar and all share a private beach. Boaters would obviously walk onto the beach to head to the bar or party in the water and end up on the beach.

The situation became a bit heated if I recall and the Sheriff and town had to get involved. New laws were made saying that boaters couldn't anchor within 300 feet of the shore.

http://rochester.twcnews.com/content...r-irondequoit/
    The home owners have some valid points. On Lake Hopatcong their property technically ends at the waters edge and everything beyond is state controlled. That does not however give the boaters rights to go over and use their swim rafts or trampolines. Our crew has always been respectful and stayed far away from shore, out in the cove.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/new...arty/10499279/

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/new...arty/10695865/

We want to support the home owners with their complaints and at the same time preserve our anchoring location. As said the lake is state property, not private, so we believe they would have a hard time shutting it down.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Thread Information